Right lets sort this out once and for all!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jray2955

I've had my KM Baja for about 6 months now I brought it second hand for £250 and it was always going to be a budget bash machine.....
Another £750 later and its been completely rebuilt twice so out the window went budget.
And now it's broken AGAIN so I've decided to buy a new SCT while this one gets set to one side until I've saved up enough to rebuild it on top quality components.
My options are either:
30DNT V1 RTR
30DNT V2 Roller (with 70kg servo and bigger engine)
Losi 5T

Now obviously the Losi is the most expensive and has a few really nice bits out the box, but my main concern is reliability.
I use it about 2 or 3 times a week and what I don't want is to buy a 30DNT and end up like the Baja, be so unreliable I end up spending what I could of spent on the Losi.
Not interested in the clone argument from a ethics point of view I just want to know about the reliability and build quality

i take it you're our side of the pond in the uk fella, going off the price in £'s you put,
the thing you have to remember is different people will break different parts depending how hard they bash, driving style etc,
its the nature of the hobby, break it, fix it, repeat,
if you bash hard and more regular you're just gonna break more stuff,
so whichever way you go either 30DNT or losi you will break things and parts wear out as well,
the 30DNT, it has weaker diff internals than the losi, but thats a case of just upgrade to losi internals when or if they break,
no one can really say which will suit you better tbh, you may get a 30DNT and it will be reliable, or not,
the same can be said of the losi, although the losi is stronger all round out of the box,
my advice is get what you feel comfortable paying for and don't get too annoyed when you break it,
some breakages will be down to driving style, what i mean is some people break the same parts time after time and its mostly down to driving style,
some people only break the odd part but don't bash hard,
basically large scale is a hobby for deep pockets, you just have to accept its gonna cost you money regularly,
enjoy whichever you buy and just have fun bashing and breaking it, repairing and modifying it (y),
i think most people on here will advise get the losi though,

i take it you're our side of the pond in the uk fella, going off the price in £'s you put,
the thing you have to remember is different people will break different parts depending how hard they bash, driving style etc,
its the nature of the hobby, break it, fix it, repeat,
if you bash hard and more regular you're just gonna break more stuff,
so whichever way you go either 30DNT or losi you will break things and parts wear out as well,
the 30DNT, it has weaker diff internals than the losi, but thats a case of just upgrade to losi internals when or if they break,
no one can really say which will suit you better tbh, you may get a 30DNT and it will be reliable, or not,
the same can be said of the losi, although the losi is stronger all round out of the box,
my advice is get what you feel comfortable paying for and don't get too annoyed when you break it,
some breakages will be down to driving style, what i mean is some people break the same parts time after time and its mostly down to driving style,
some people only break the odd part but don't bash hard,
basically large scale is a hobby for deep pockets, you just have to accept its gonna cost you money regularly,
enjoy whichever you buy and just have fun bashing and breaking it, repairing and modifying it (y),
i think most people on here will advise get the losi though,
I think I understand what you mean and I am pretty hard on this one I run almost exclusively in a sand pit and regularly thrash it around flat out over the sort of terrain you feel on a mx bike let alone a toy.
If it was your hard earned money what would you do for your application etc?

As far as clones go 30*n has a decent reputation. Stick with the v1, the v2 has some for stupid clutch/center diff mount that doesn't allow you to swap gears and set mesh. Stupid really. Or grab a losi, pretty dependable out of the box.

Ah see this is important information because i am undecided between the V1 and V2.
I know the Losi V2 made loads of good changes but with the 30DNT are you saying to grab a V1?
As far as clones go 30*n has a decent reputation. Stick with the v1, the v2 has some for stupid clutch/center diff mount that doesn't allow you to swap gears and set mesh. Stupid really. Or grab a losi, pretty dependable out of the box.

It's just the 30*n v2 that has the issue. The losi v2 doesn't have that problem.
Edit: if you get the 30*n get the v1.
There is nothing wrong with any of the losi versions.
What is the issue with the 30dnt anyway you said something about a center diff mount?

The center diff or the transmission portion of the v2 is enclosed and is locked in a set distance from the diff that holds the spur and to the engine that has the pinion. Those gears cannot be changed for more or less speed or acceleration. The open diff tower that's seperate from the engine will allow you to set the mesh and adjust for bigger or smaller spur and pinion combinations.

So v1 is the first pic which is what you want.
V2 is the second and not what you want.

Sean is saying any version of the real 5ive-t is good and you will not run into any generation issues that will prevent you moving forward as the aftermarket has stepped in to help the platform to Excell.

i have both v1 and 2.0 losi 5ive's and their both great rigs. Ive heard good feedback from the 30 degree rigs but just expect some stuff to fail as they do need to come in cheaper to be competitive to the real thing. Screenshot_20230816_204103_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20230816_204049_Chrome.jpg

The center diff or the transmission portion of the v2 is enclosed and is locked in a set distance from the diff that holds the spur and to the engine that has the pinion. Those gears cannot be changed for more or less speed or acceleration. The open diff tower that's seperate from the engine will allow you to set the mesh and adjust for bigger or smaller spur and pinion combinations.

Sean is saying any version of the real 5ive-t is good and you will not run into any generation issues that will prevent you moving forward as the aftermarket has stepped in to help the platform to Excell.

i have both v1 and 2.0 losi 5ive's and their both great rigs. Ive heard good feedback from the 30 degree rigs but just expect some stuff to fail as they do need to come in cheaper to be competitive to the real thing. View attachment 88943View attachment 88944
That is such a stupid idea why would they do that because your limited to what ever gearing comes stock?
I think it will be the 30DNT for me purely from the point of view that over here it's a saving of around a £1000 which is alot of money.
Thank you for your help by the way.

Not a problem. And I have not a clue, as getting rocks sucked up in the gears is not common in the least with the 5ive t platform.

If you don't mind me asking as I just converted gbp to usd how are you saving $1272 USD by buying a 30dnt truck? Over here in the states a brand new losi 2.0 costs $1599usd which costs £1257 pound sterling to you. It maybe inflated more as it needs to be imported? But so does the 30dnt truck

the 5ive-t 2.0 is £1699 over here ryan, the 30DNT v1 rtr is £735,
we pay way over the odds for rc stuff unfortunately

Wow that is incredible. Here the 30dnt v1 to us in USD is $1079 which is £848 your price.
yeh its a tad weird aint it ryan,
we're limited over here where we can get stuff as well, 30DNT is rcmodelz only as far as i can tell,
5ive-t is either rcmodelz or taylor and same price at each place,
you can find the 5ive-t 2.0 at wheelspin models as well but they want £1799 for it,

Ffs the monetary divide is bonkers. That's shame and it seems the brit govt is fekin you over there as apparently your currency is worth more for some reason.
yep, we get screwed at every turn over here ryan :ROFLMAO:,
not much we can do about that though, just keep battling on etc (y)

i have both v1 and 2.0 losi 5ive's and their both great rigs. Ive heard good feedback from the 30 degree rigs but just expect some stuff to fail as they do need to come in cheaper to be competitive to the real thing.
acc
View attachment 88944
Rep732

Rep732
thats not 100% correct about the V2 having the CNC billet centre diff. That picture you supplied is not the DDT-7 V2.
the DDT-7 V2 still has the plastic centre diff housing as used in the V1.
the picture you supplied and any truck that’s has the CNC Billet is not a DDT-7 V2
those trucks with the Billet centre diff are a DDT-7S V2 p/n TDN99003
note the S in the part number
the 7S comes with lots on anodised billet bit.
just order a DDT-7 V2 p/n TDN99001

Back