Servo Saver Spring

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Need to ask, why do you think you need a stiffer spring? That's been one of the most reliable, trouble free parts in my 5ive.

There is a grassy field we do fun runs and turning is almost non existent unless I slow down significantly. on the hard compacted sand sections it turns okay-ish.

One major difference with my set-up are the wheels/tires. I am running MX43's and trepadors, depends where and what we're doing. Besides that grassy field location, steering is not really an issue (sand, gravel, loose soil, etc.).

Steering geometry is spot on, we have it tuned with minimal bump steer on and off track. Steering servo is also not the issue, tested with 78kg, 100kg and 125kg (16v) setups and it moves the upper arm under any load with ease. On board video showed that the servo saver spring is the culprit.

so, before we make a custom spring, is there a stiffer one out in the market already?

btw, I'm running an electric powerplant.

No there isn't a stiffer spring available that I know of. Power plant doesn't matter if it's a traction issue. It is an odd issue though and not a normal one for a 5ive to have. Are you certain you have the spring tightened correctly and nothing else is wrong? High traction is usually where issues like this happen. Going to a stiffer spring you may as well coil bind the current spring as you're going to be doing the same thing, putting a lot more strain on the steering components/ killing the servo saver action anyway.

Have you tried tightening the spring first?

Yes, it is maxed out.
No there isn't a stiffer spring available that I know of. Power plant doesn't matter if it's a traction issue. It is an odd issue though and not a normal one for a 5ive to have. Are you certain you have the spring tightened correctly and nothing else is wrong? High traction is usually where issues like this happen. Going to a stiffer spring you may as well coil bind the current spring as you're going to be doing the same thing, putting a lot more strain on the steering components/ killing the servo saver action anyway.

Powerplant factors in as we constanly balance that out with the dynamics of our 1/4 and 1/3 scale builds. it would be too long of a discussion trying to explain it here.
Yes, everything is setup correctly. Spring bind is also not an issue with this application. There's enough space within the assembly even with the spring fully compressed, adjustment fully maxed out.
I'm only asking if there is an aftermarket offering that we can buy before I spend time machining custom parts and spec out new spring rates. I couldn't find any online and it seems like there isn't any based on here.

Last edited:
Thats strange, i run the same in my onroad 5ive and I too had to max out the compression of the servo saver. My issue was I had alot of grip, I'm finding it strange that your still having an issue. My only suggestion is go an aluminum style bellcrank and hope the bite is better. Your servo saver may just be tired and the mechanical friction is no longer there.

Already answered, no there's no aftermarket heavier spring. Whatever you're building that isn't a 5ive is your issue.

That's fine bud, just relax. It's obvious that you're misunderstanding the context of the responses or the difference of this particular 5ive build compared to those that use stock sized tires as your answers are getting sideways.

Anyhow back to some useful information; made two flat ground test springs that read 15-20% stiffer over stock and several bearing bronze preload shims (2, 4 and 6mm). Testing the shims, 6mm yielded the best results with the servo saver function intact after repeated 1.2m drop front tire corner landings. The stiffer springs also gave similar results but I paired it with a 4mm shim to keep the adjustment collar in the middle range of the threads. Steering tests were done on medium pile grass, not the exact same conditions to that field we do runs on. Servo saver tests were done rolling off a loading dock.

Results look promising for now and I still have room for adjustment. I can also now lift the inner rear tire on quick turn-ins on pavement with the MX43's and trepadors instead of it just turning wide, even rolled it once. Just have to wait for the next time we all go back to that particular location to tune and match it with the sway bars, alignment and some throttle curves.

Hope this info helps others with similar 5ive-t steering situations, find a solution that works for their build.
Thats strange, i run the same in my onroad 5ive and I too had to max out the compression of the servo saver. My issue was I had alot of grip, I'm finding it strange that your still having an issue. My only suggestion is go an aluminum style bellcrank and hope the bite is better. Your servo saver may just be tired and the mechanical friction is no longer there.

That's true, grip is a factor here as well. it gets a little tricky with off-road surfaces since the contact patch varies so much in comparison with tarmac or on road set-ups. Quickest way I did was averaging how much force it took to turn the wheels on grass and gravel with a 1kg weight on the front suspension to get some basic data for later calculations.

The steering assembly are all aluminum as well as the carriers, spindles and hubs. Kept the arms plastic.

Last edited:
I think you are fighting the Gyroscopic effect of the MX43's.
When you say "slow down significantly" like down to 20mph or 5mph?
Can we see a picture of your servo saver?
Have you tried the aftermarket servo savers that have different ramp angles for whatever you have?
Do you have this issue with other tires that are lighter?

Last edited:
No because winding it in stopped the servo saver from tripping over. I didn't really care if it never worked again tbh because if it tripped then I'm losing degrees of angle and I can't afford inconsistencies when I race.

Back