So what’s the verdict on the vesla?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting to know my vesla bit by bit, got enough confidence to bring it to show off, I'm really loving it!
it's true what you see as reactions from spectators in videos, any gear head goes nuts seeing it and hearing it
I do have the Taylor 50gt to thank for it, but it's on another level for the power it can take. Only got 1 1/2 tanks threw it and still rich factory settings, but it's on demand wheel stands even spinning on dirt sand or gravel it just lifts and has a built in roll over protection from the cage when you hold it a bit. Loads of stability even though it's on the very edge of out of control! Was sliding it sideways after straight runs but donuts are tough case it just lifts,
Drove my 5t today and was wot most of the time and loving it, but the vesla makes you scared to hold the gas at any position and your trembling with adrenaline when you stop it

Getting to know my vesla bit by bit, got enough confidence to bring it to show off, I'm really loving it!
it's true what you see as reactions from spectators in videos, any gear head goes nuts seeing it and hearing it
I do have the Taylor 50gt to thank for it, but it's on another level for the power it can take. Only got 1 1/2 tanks threw it and still rich factory settings, but it's on demand wheel stands even spinning on dirt sand or gravel it just lifts and has a built in roll over protection from the cage when you hold it a bit. Loads of stability even though it's on the very edge of out of control! Was sliding it sideways after straight runs but donuts are tough case it just lifts,
Drove my 5t today and was wot most of the time and loving it, but the vesla makes you scared to hold the gas at any position and your trembling with adrenaline when you stop it
This is what I love about Kraken, they keep you on edge and are a challenge to drive

My 5T & 5B are ‘point & shoot’ cars - they almost handle too good if you know what I mean

The Vesla finally arrived,After getting hosed by FEX EX shipping and FED EX package confiscation fees I was finally able to go pick it up
It looks pretty decent so far I see the A arm fit to the hinge pins are quite sloppy but is that be design so they can move and flex more?
I am prob going to shim them up some as i don't like sloppy suspension setups. I see what you guys mean by the radio lol
Got the front aluminum chassis braces for it and a set of Mad Maxx giant grip (Hostile clones) tires for the rear
I was worried that removing/replacing the batteries would require taking the cage off and on but it looks like there is enough room to do that while leaving the cage on which is a bonus
I see this thing has xt150 connectors on it for the batteries. Did you guys with the electric Veslas keep the xt150 setup or chop them and go with the EC5/IC5 connectors?
All my other electric stuff is running the EC5/IC5 stuff and would like to keep everything the same as all my charge leads and batteries have those connectors
The motor and speed controller in the Vesla are quite a bit bigger then what my DBXL-e and traxxas x maxx/XRT have so would I be better off keeping the xt150 connections on this or does it matter?
I guess I can always just make an adapter to go from the xt150 to EC5/IC5

Congratulations! I had a buddy at the indoor races who went on a quest to have no slop on his car after noticing it had gotten worn a little everywhere. When he started running it after he said it was practically undrivable and was constantly trying different set ups to Try and make it handle Like it did when it was loose. Some play, depending where, can help the car find it's own center and be more predictable and forgiving. A tight perfect set up is like trying to drive a straight line on a knifes edge.
As for connectors... bigger is better and less is more. Bigger connectors will flow more amps, less connectors will have less chance of a voltage drop. You can use adapters but it just increase the risk of a poor connection

The Vesla finally arrived,After getting hosed by FEX EX shipping and FED EX package confiscation fees I was finally able to go pick it up
It looks pretty decent so far I see the A arm fit to the hinge pins are quite sloppy but is that be design so they can move and flex more?
I am prob going to shim them up some as i don't like sloppy suspension setups. I see what you guys mean by the radio lol
Got the front aluminum chassis braces for it and a set of Mad Maxx giant grip (Hostile clones) tires for the rear
I was worried that removing/replacing the batteries would require taking the cage off and on but it looks like there is enough room to do that while leaving the cage on which is a bonus
I see this thing has xt150 connectors on it for the batteries. Did you guys with the electric Veslas keep the xt150 setup or chop them and go with the EC5/IC5 connectors?
All my other electric stuff is running the EC5/IC5 stuff and would like to keep everything the same as all my charge leads and batteries have those connectors
The motor and speed controller in the Vesla are quite a bit bigger then what my DBXL-e and traxxas x maxx/XRT have so would I be better off keeping the xt150 connections on this or does it matter?
I guess I can always just make an adapter to go from the xt150 to EC5/IC5
So glad you got it I cut the stock connectors off went with qs8 I also have ec5 adapter I added the kraken fans as the motor will get hot as it is set up

How does it hold together? I have a mcd w5 I
Run on 12s. 12s is no joke. It’s brutal.
Yeah 12s is serious power! The Vekta Ultra 12s is super strong & haven’t had any issues with Max4 & also upgraded the motor to the Hobbywing 560kv…as Thunder RC states “it takes it like a champion”

I finally ordered the new Vesla 12s yesterday which is going to be nuts being RWD 💪 & that comes with the Hobbywing Max5 G2 ESC & have the choice of either 650kv or 800kv…I’m thinking the 650kv as per Kraken’s recommendation 😁

Going to be fast! No doubt, I'm sure all that power on 12s will be close to the taylor engine torque but even more top speed!
I would say it might chew up the stock gears, look into hardened gears before you get stuck waiting for them. They may have been just released, I didn't see them when I was shopping for my vesla, but did put hardened pinion and spur to match the engine from Taylor as per his suggestion

Going to be fast! No doubt, I'm sure all that power on 12s will be close to the taylor engine torque but even more top speed!
I would say it might chew up the stock gears, look into hardened gears before you get stuck waiting for them. They may have been just released, I didn't see them when I was shopping for my vesla, but did put hardened pinion and spur to match the engine from Taylor as per his suggestion
Thanks for the heads up - I really appreciate it!

Which gears specifically are you referring to though which need upgrading?
The new 12s version now comes with hardened transmission gears which is great...I also ordered the upgraded steel spur gear (although I do hear that the stock plastic spur is still quite strong)

The only thing that I could do is upgrade to the 'hardened steel' bevel gears - are these know to break though as once again I've heard that the stock ones are very strong? https://shop.krakenrc.com/hardened-steel-bevel-gears-set-for-vekta-5-vesla-5/

The new 12s version now comes with hardened transmission gears which is great...I also ordered the upgraded steel spur gear (although I do hear that the stock plastic spur is still quite strong)

The only thing that I could do is upgrade to the 'hardened steel' bevel gears - are these know to break though as once again I've heard that the stock ones are very strong? https://shop.krakenrc.com/hardened-steel-bevel-gears-set-for-vekta-5-vesla-5/
The vesla is not front heavy I love the 12s but that thing will flip on exelaration lol it picks up on stock 8s lol please shear this experience

Hun, I didn't know the electric version had hardened gears. Mine was the gas roller, then Taylor put on the parts necessary for his big blocks to fit and sold it as big block roller, I put the hardened pinion and spur size he recommended for the engine choice, but it was the transmission gears I just blew up after a bump made the rear wheels lift and the engine flared up and then landed, didn't stop right then, but after the next turn I was on a wheely like normal then it locked up solid, when I took it apart I found this,

20231102_210112.jpg

Hun, I didn't know the electric version had hardened gears. Mine was the gas roller, then Taylor put on the parts necessary for his big blocks to fit and sold it as big block roller, I put the hardened pinion and spur size he recommended for the engine choice, but it was the transmission gears I just blew up after a bump made the rear wheels lift and the engine flared up and then landed, didn't stop right then, but after the next turn I was on a wheely like normal then it locked up solid, when I took it apart I found this,

View attachment 90488
Wow that is some serious damage to those transmission gears 😮

Yeah its good that the newly released Vesla 12s has hardened transmission gears out of the box 💪

Here is the link:
https://shop.krakenrc.com/kraken-vesla-5-c1e-12s/

Last edited:
First, I'm new to the Large Scale Forum. Second, I'm new (when I say "new", I mean "I don't own, yet") to Kraken. Third, I'm also new (the same "new) to gas RCs.

Now that that's said, regarding the hardened trans gears being included with the VELSA.5 C1E, they are 'included', but they are not installed...the stock sintered gears are installed, and you have to disassemble the trans, remove the sintered gears, install the machined/hardened gears, and reassemble the trans. Kraken mentioned this in an email I received from them.

And...now that that's said, I have a bit of a conundrum. As I said, I haven't ordered my VESLA.5 yet...but, I definitely will be (preferably by mid-February, so that it can be a b-day gift to myself). The 'problem' I'm having is deciding "which" to get. Currently, all of my RCs are electric. I've 'considered' gas in the past, but just haven't 'bought'...and, truth-be-told, I'm not entirely certain this is the vehicle to start. I'm thinking that the Losi DBXL 2.0 might be a better and/or smarter 'start' where gas RCs is concerned. Now, if I do decide to get the gas version, the first question I've been asking myself it whether to get the 'stock' version, the Vesla Taylor 35cc Combo, or the C1G roller & build up myself. Plus, if I were to get the C1G roller, is it better/smarter to build up using Taylor's 35cc package, or the Taylor 40GT package? I know I'm definitely NOT ready for anything larger.

However, I am leaning towards the electric version, to which I also have three primary options - C1E 12S RTR w/ 650kv motor, C1E 12S RTR w/ 800kv motor, or C1E roller (and build-up myself). Thing is, even though the 'new' RTR is built/designed for 12S, I'd only be running 8S (I have a few 6S packs, but quite a few 4S in both 'hard' and 'soft' cases). Before I continue, I can state, with 100% certainty, that, if I were to get the RTR, I'd be replacing the XT150 connectors with QS8, as that's what I use on my race boats, speedrun vehicles (even the 4Tec 3.0 speedrun car I'm about to build), and X-MAXX...and, what I'll be using on the Sledge when I replace the Traxxas electronics. Ok...back to my conundrum.....

As I'm leaning towards electric, which I'd run on 8S, the biggest question is whether to stick with the 'standard' 650kv, or go for the 'optional' 800kv. As I see it, going with the 800kv (on 8S) would help to regain most of the "lost speed" of having gone with the 650kv on 12S. Additionally, I couild regain the remainder of the "lost speed" by swapping the stock 16T pinion for an 18T. To the best of my understanding, the primary 'down' side in any of this is the lost torque of the 650kv motor. For those more familiar with large-scale RCs, what are your thoughts? Any input you can give would be appreciated, not only by myself, but also by those considering the same options I'm considering.

First, I'm new to the Large Scale Forum. Second, I'm new (when I say "new", I mean "I don't own, yet") to Kraken. Third, I'm also new (the same "new) to gas RCs.

Now that that's said, regarding the hardened trans gears being included with the VELSA.5 C1E, they are 'included', but they are not installed...the stock sintered gears are installed, and you have to disassemble the trans, remove the sintered gears, install the machined/hardened gears, and reassemble the trans. Kraken mentioned this in an email I received from them.

And...now that that's said, I have a bit of a conundrum. As I said, I haven't ordered my VESLA.5 yet...but, I definitely will be (preferably by mid-February, so that it can be a b-day gift to myself). The 'problem' I'm having is deciding "which" to get. Currently, all of my RCs are electric. I've 'considered' gas in the past, but just haven't 'bought'...and, truth-be-told, I'm not entirely certain this is the vehicle to start. I'm thinking that the Losi DBXL 2.0 might be a better and/or smarter 'start' where gas RCs is concerned. Now, if I do decide to get the gas version, the first question I've been asking myself it whether to get the 'stock' version, the Vesla Taylor 35cc Combo, or the C1G roller & build up myself. Plus, if I were to get the C1G roller, is it better/smarter to build up using Taylor's 35cc package, or the Taylor 40GT package? I know I'm definitely NOT ready for anything larger.

However, I am leaning towards the electric version, to which I also have three primary options - C1E 12S RTR w/ 650kv motor, C1E 12S RTR w/ 800kv motor, or C1E roller (and build-up myself). Thing is, even though the 'new' RTR is built/designed for 12S, I'd only be running 8S (I have a few 6S packs, but quite a few 4S in both 'hard' and 'soft' cases). Before I continue, I can state, with 100% certainty, that, if I were to get the RTR, I'd be replacing the XT150 connectors with QS8, as that's what I use on my race boats, speedrun vehicles (even the 4Tec 3.0 speedrun car I'm about to build), and X-MAXX...and, what I'll be using on the Sledge when I replace the Traxxas electronics. Ok...back to my conundrum.....

As I'm leaning towards electric, which I'd run on 8S, the biggest question is whether to stick with the 'standard' 650kv, or go for the 'optional' 800kv. As I see it, going with the 800kv (on 8S) would help to regain most of the "lost speed" of having gone with the 650kv on 12S. Additionally, I couild regain the remainder of the "lost speed" by swapping the stock 16T pinion for an 18T. To the best of my understanding, the primary 'down' side in any of this is the lost torque of the 650kv motor. For those more familiar with large-scale RCs, what are your thoughts? Any input you can give would be appreciated, not only by myself, but also by those considering the same options I'm considering.
For me, it was a no brainer ordering the C1E 12S as it already includes dual fans, main chassis brace, hardened tranny gears & lipo battery tray which is very nice!
The roller does not have these upgrades

If you have no intention running 12s, I would def go for the 800kv motor over the 650kv motor (even better would be the 1100kv as this motor thrives on 8s)...when I had my Kraton and upgraded from 800kv to 1100kv, it was chalk & cheese - HUGE difference in performance (btw I sold the Kraton, that was a toy in my eyes)

BTW - 800kv is more top end but less torque than the 650kv, 1100kv has even more top end!

Yep running QS8's is all I run on my 8s & 12s rigs

For me, it was a no brainer ordering the C1E 12S as it already includes dual fans, main chassis brace, hardened tranny gears & lipo battery tray which is very nice!
The roller does not have these upgrades

If you have no intention running 12s, I would def go for the 800kv motor over the 650kv motor (even better would be the 1100kv as this motor thrives on 8s)...when I had my Kraton and upgraded from 800kv to 1100kv, it was chalk & cheese - HUGE difference in performance (btw I sold the Kraton, that was a toy in my eyes)

BTW - 800kv is more top end but less torque than the 650kv, 1100kv has even more top end!

Yep running QS8's is all I run on my 8s & 12s rigs
Not a fan of the Kraton...but, luv my X-MAXX, as well as my Sledge (both highly upgraded with Vitavon & M2C parts). As for 650kv vs 800kv vs 1100kv, I know the 1100kv is fastest (with the lowest torque among the three)...but, the 800kv has more torque (plus, the 1100kv isn't one of Kraken's options - only the 650kv or 800kv). Plus, with the 800kv, it can still be run on 12S (obviously, if I ever did that, I'd lower the gearing).

Since I don't have certain info (such as final drive ratio, trans ratio, diff ratio, etc) on the VESLA, I had to plug in 'random' numbers into a speed calculator. Not that it matters what those numbers were...but, with 12S, 16T pinion, & 650kv motor, I played with numbers until I got as close to 50mph as possible (I actually got it to 50.34mph). Granted, I don't know what it's actual "top speed" would be with 650kv & 12S, so I was just estimating (if you know the actual top speed on 12S, as well as the transmission output ratio, please, let me know, and I'll recalculate). Next, I plugged in 8S & 800kv, and then started playing with pinion tooth counts until I came up with something close to the same speed. With a 21T pinion, the speed would be 48.19mph, and with a 22T, it's 50.48mph. However, with an 1100kv motor, the pinion would have to be dropped to a 16T, in order to achieve a similar (50.48mph) speed. All of these are based on the included 57T spur...thus, if I adjust spur & pinion tooth counts, I can simultaniously adjust top speed & torque curve (if you're wondering, yes, I race...but, I, obviously, wouldn't be racing this...lol).

If, on 8S, torque was the most important factor, I could see the 650kv motor being the obvious choice. If top-speed was the #1 factor, then using an 1100kv motor would be the obvious choice. However, as I'm looking for the "best bang for the buck" (ie. torque & speed are equal factors), I'm really am thinking the 800kv motor is the "best" motor for me. That is, of course, if I stick with electric. If I decide to get the gas version, then my original 'conundrum' returns. At the same time, I've been doing more research on large-scale gas RCs, and it seems my best option for a 'first' gas RC is the Losi 5ive-T 2.0...so, it's looking like a stronger probability that, in regards to the VESLA.5, I'll be getting the electric.

With my new Vesla I went with the 650kv as per Kraken's recommendation with 18t pinion - mine fully loaded with alloy upgrades & lipos is 16kg (its not light)

My Vekta.5e Ultra had the leopard motor which I swapped for the 560kv & with a 21t pinion I did 74mph...if I had a longer straight it would be even quicker :)
Not sure of the output ratio's on the Vekta but this could be a good benchmark for you. As my Vekta is 21kg fully loaded with alloy upgrades & lipos, it needed the 560kv & the torque is mindblowing! Motor temps did not go above 30C so I could run a much larger pinion but definitely not needed, amazing motor & nothing comes for a heavy rig

Yeah 12s is serious power! The Vekta Ultra 12s is super strong & haven’t had any issues with Max4 & also upgraded the motor to the Hobbywing 560kv…as Thunder RC states “it takes it like a champion”

I finally ordered the new Vesla 12s yesterday which is going to be nuts being RWD 💪 & that comes with the Hobbywing Max5 G2 ESC & have the choice of either 650kv or 800kv…I’m thinking the 650kv as per Kraken’s recommendation 😁
how long did you have to wait to get it after pre order?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks