Rovan 45cc motor problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bignscale

We carry Rovan's 45cc motor. No matter how much I review the carburetor and oil mix, seizure occurs immediately, which is very troublesome. Please let me know any possible problems.

Hard to get a good look at the piston with that picture. What's your oil ratio? Any way you can take an actual picture of the piston instead of a picture of a picture?

Yea. It's overly lean and the exhaust gas was very hot, the piston expanded towards the exhaust port. What octane gas are you using also? The carbon deposits in the top of the piston are Grey, looks like the engine was very lean at the time

The octane is good and yes you should be tuning for the L and H . Low and High speed needles, they do play role to work together when the engine is at higher rpm

Thank you.I use this engine in my Rovan LT truck. I'm using a silent type muffler, but it's loud, but should I change it to a dominator type?
IMG_7068.jpeg

Thank you for teaching me. Now that the engine has been repaired, I'm going to try out the carburetor some more.

The 45cc cheapo engines just run hot. You can mask with overly rich running, but at the end if the day you just need to make sure you're allowing it to cool. Or throw it out and get a better engine.
Thank you. Currently, the adjustment has been successfully made and it is operational. The muffler was damaged so I replaced it with a dominator pipe. However, we are considering a more radical engine.
Good, you cab tell if an engine isn't getting enough fuel on the low speed if it's hard to start.
The setup is based on Taylor RC engine's 1107 carb setup.

Last edited:
Oh man you gonna be in world of pain if you don't ditch that dumpster fire piece of $hit engine. literally anything would be better. It's not worth it, trust me I went through hell trying to make it work. It won't. Do yourself a favor and get rid of it asap.
If u can't afford zenoah get even 29cc from rovan it's solid. It won't be fast but at least you'll have working car
Rovan should be sued for selling it

If its a dual ring 45 , removing the bottom ring and just running the top single ring will help a lot with heat issues.
Also it may take several sparkplugs to find the right one but when the sparkplug is tight, the sparkplug tab should be pointing down towards the piston.

Friction is why. The first year of the rovan 45 were actually decent. They were single ring. The dual ring 45 sucks and gets hot.
You can actually make these cheap engines run well. You just have to dissemble them to check for shavings -bearing or gasket errors.

Last edited:
Back