30 North DDT-7 engine fitting problems.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarimus

Hi all can someone see what I’m doing wrong in fitting my Chung Yang 29 to the 30 north truck.
the engine sots in approx position but the pinion is a mile away from the spur gear and can’t get any closer as it hits the brakes.

thanks
I just noticed the 30 north came with two clutch covers, one has a cutout and allows the motor to sit in the right place and the brakes sit inside the clutch cover a bit, but the problem is the two top bolt holes for that cover don’t line up with then motor, so I presume it’s maybe a Zenoah mount

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 25
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
i take it yours is the 2.0 version mate?
if so then the centre diff looks right, they reversed the centre diff and mounts on the 2.0 to get a straighter drive line,
if yours is the 1.0 then the whole centre section is fitted backwards,
but, everything looks right except yer miles off on the pinion and spur,
have you fitted the wrong pinion? ie; too smalll a pinion for the spur,,
it must be sommat simple though,
and the engine looks positioned right and does run close with the centre carrier,
try your other bell carrier again, the one where the holes are a bit off, but try a different orientation with it to see if the cutout clears in a different position,

Thanks Spent, I cut up the clutch cover that came with the motor to look like the clutch cover that came in the car kit but was for (I presume) a Zenoah. The photo of the clutch cover leaning against the red box is the supplied one for the Zenoah. The one mounted is my modified version. Motor fits in now but geez, design wise I think it’s a bit dicky. Having a cut out like that just doesn’t seem right.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    51.6 KB · Views: 11
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    70.7 KB · Views: 11
Thanks Spent, I cut up the clutch cover that came with the motor to look like the clutch cover that came in the car kit but was for (I presume) a Zenoah. The photo of the clutch cover leaning against the red box is the supplied one for the Zenoah. The one mounted is my modified version. Motor fits in now but geez, design wise I think it’s a bit dicky. Having a cut out like that just doesn’t seem right.
ah right mate, i thought you meant the bell carrier was cut different,
but yeh the clutch case/cover, i bet the other one was for a g320 then,
the cut cover will be plenty strong enough still,
spot on its all sorted now though (y)(y),

So the whole diff tower is flipped between 1.0 vs 2.0. The 2.0 has the wider base tower towards the clutch housing so it needs to be cut out. The 1.0 has the narrower side toward the clutch housing which is why the 1.0 clutch housing is solid . Also between the 2 the engine sits in the same exact spot between the 2 versions its only the tower and the way the spur faces that changes orientation... the 1.0 tower sits closer towards the steering servo and the center diff is flipped so the spur is closer to the engine which makes the front center dog bone or cv shorter and the back longer. The 2.0 pushed the tower back and reserved and the center diff now is flipped so the spur sits in the opposite direction and closer to the steering servo and made the front dog bone now longer and the rear dog bone shorter.

Hope this helps

i've emailed ddm.com and they've been really helpful in the past. just ask them what parts you need to make it fit? guaranteed they sell them.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks