5 years on a shelf, time to revive the Baja 5b, rebuild and upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Decided to get a new black chassis and rear section, gathered together all the purple parts (except the two larger bits) to strip the anodising off, then I am going to have a go at anodising them black myself View attachment 49660
heres a tip when de anodizing, don't leave it for more then 3 mins if ur using oven cleaner cuz if u leave it for too long it will create a black burn sort of thing and youll have to sand it off and it sucks

I’ll be using a weak caustic soda mix, I tried an aerosol oven cleaner last night and it started to get it off but 25mins in and still hadn’t fully worked,

With regards to the anodising I’m following a YouTube guide, not using battery acid but a ph downer 20% mix which is supposed to work, time will tell, I’ve only just ordered the chemicals so it won’t be until next week I even think about doing it

I’ll be using a weak caustic soda mix, I tried an aerosol oven cleaner last night and it started to get it off but 25mins in and still hadn’t fully worked,

With regards to the anodising I’m following a YouTube guide, not using battery acid but a ph downer 20% mix which is supposed to work, time will tell, I’ve only just ordered the chemicals so it won’t be until next week I even think about doing it
Okay, if the whole anodizing thing works out, could you make a totorial thread on this forum with your tips and tricks? Cuz I'm interested in doing some anodizing

Diff and gear case stripped, cleaner, bearings repacked and rebuilt, and the rear arms cleaned up and rear hub bearings repacked

Just need to decide at this stage whether I should buy bigger driveshafts, no idea if the mad max 9mm ones are any good, they are certainly cheap enough at £27.99 View attachment 49717View attachment 49718View attachment 49719
I say the flm super duty or 4ever ones. They are beafy and will last u trough any motor (as long as it's not like a 90cc or something)

Engine is stock 23cc right now, I just looked at those ones you said and I think that may have to be on the list for upgraded engine time, not really in to spending £80 on shafts when I don’t teally need them yet, plus I’ve just put my diff together and I’m not taking it apart straight away to fit new cups

Engine is stock 23cc right now, I just looked at those ones you said and I think that may have to be on the list for upgraded engine time, not really in to spending £80 on shafts when I don’t teally need them yet, plus I’ve just put my diff together and I’m not taking it apart straight away to fit new cups
Gotcha ?

I must say when the colour started coming off I did consider just giving them a polish or a clear coat as I think they look good like that but I kind of want them black, but if the anodising doesn’t work out I’ll strip it off and have them like this

they look 100% better already! I have a very strong disliking of hpi purple and orange anodizing.

I hate the orange bits on my Baja ss and would like them gunmetal to match the chassis or black,
your thread might just give me the push I need remove all my nasty orange metalwork (y)

keep up the great work (y)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks