5 years on a shelf, time to revive the Baja 5b, rebuild and upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The aluminium dye finally arrived so whilst I was going to test on a scrap piece as I know it won’t go well the first time I just dived straight in to a wheel hub, first attempt wasn’t great but I think it had a bad electrical contact so I quickly (and as it turns out badly) cleaned it and stuck it back in, now I didn’t really set the power supply properly and the amps rose too high and ate threw the aluminium wire that was making the anode contact, so it wasn’t in the anodising tank long enough, thought what the hell I’ll stick it in the dye and seal it as it’s very easy to remove and redo

Results were, well it’s sort of black but clear evidence it wasn’t cleaned properly and I guess if it had the right amount of time in the tank it may well of looked a fair but better, but it’s proved that with a few tweaks and proper preparation for the parts this should work 49861

The aluminium dye finally arrived so whilst I was going to test on a scrap piece as I know it won’t go well the first time I just dived straight in to a wheel hub, first attempt wasn’t great but I think it had a bad electrical contact so I quickly (and as it turns out badly) cleaned it and stuck it back in, now I didn’t really set the power supply properly and the amps rose too high and ate threw the aluminium wire that was making the anode contact, so it wasn’t in the anodising tank long enough, thought what the hell I’ll stick it in the dye and seal it as it’s very easy to remove and redo

Results were, well it’s sort of black but clear evidence it wasn’t cleaned properly and I guess if it had the right amount of time in the tank it may well of looked a fair but better, but it’s proved that with a few tweaks and proper preparation for the parts this should work View attachment 49861
all about learning, keep us updated (y)

finally got some time to have a proper crack at this anodising,

firstly i decided to use a different wire to suspend the parts in the anodising tank, was using aluminium which will itself be anodised so i bought some titanium wire, this wont be anodised in the tank and its much easier to spring load into holes in the parts for a decent electrical and mechanical fitment/contact.

I also bought a digital thermometer so i can heat the dye to get as good a coat of dye as possible as black is supposed to b the hardest colour to do.

did the 8x shock parts today so i can rebuild the shocks, if i get time ill do a bit more tomorrow

ill let the pics speak for themselves

finally got some time to have a proper crack at this anodising,

firstly i decided to use a different wire to suspend the parts in the anodising tank, was using aluminium which will itself be anodised so i bought some titanium wire, this wont be anodised in the tank and its much easier to spring load into holes in the parts for a decent electrical and mechanical fitment/contact.

I also bought a digital thermometer so i can heat the dye to get as good a coat of dye as possible as black is supposed to b the hardest colour to do.

did the 8x shock parts today so i can rebuild the shocks, if i get time ill do a bit more tomorrow

ill let the pics speak for themselves

View attachment 50194View attachment 50195
Wow!!! Nice job ???

Just did the roof plate, I was initially concerned that it was jet black, then I put it up against the black chassis I bought and there isn’t much in it really, so it’s about acceptable I’d say 5020650207

Thanks, yes it seems to of worked well, shame my black is a different shade to the supposedly black innovate chassis I bought that has a very blue tinge to it, I might even strip that back and reanodise that, but that would mean buying bigger tanks as it doesn’t fit so I doubt I’d bother

Yes, give it a go, I first looked at the guides on YouTube ages ago and thought it was too much hassle to bother but it’s really not, granted you need to get all the stuff to do it, way back when I was going to make edge lit acrylic signs with ali bases as I have a laser engraver and a little cnc router but never got around to it but now I can anodise I will get on to it sometime

Rebuild is getting there, what’s slightly annoying is the anti roll bar kit had 8 screws missing and the clutch bell I bought won’t fit the bearings so I need new ones

I was initially going for the all black murdered out look and still might but I put the old body shell on just to see clearances on the brake line coming from the master cylinder for my hydraulic front brakes and I loved the bright body on the nearly all black chassis5033650339

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks