5ive-5 springs too soft?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryan K.

Hey guys, so I got everything mounted on the 5ive now and I'm noticing the suspension is sagging quite a bit from all the weight. The truck came with a thicker aftermarket chassis and some metal upgrades. I also have a booster pipe on it. I can't see it adding that much weight though. I'm trying to level out the A-arms and have them parallel with the ground and straighten out the driveshafts as that's how I setup all my RC cars. I'm having a bit of trouble achieving this though. On the rear, with the shock collars all the way to the bottom (fully preloaded) I can level out the rear arms. However, on the front, I'm still getting a bit too much sag with the collars set all the way down. Is this common? Do people just run it like this or do they get stiffer springs? I have blue springs which I assume is stock? I've seen some 5ive's with redish orange springs, are those just optional losi springs?

thanks guys,

Thanks! Anyone try the DDM springs?

From their website...

Fronts are available in 3 tensions:
11.6 lb rate (stock rate)
13.5 lb rate (for comparison, Losi Red springs are 12.9 lb rate)
14.5 lb rate (for comparison, Losi Orange springs are 14.2 lb rate)

Rears are available in 3 tensions
8.0 lb rate (stock rate)
9.6 lb rate (for comparison, Losi Red springs are 9.3 lb rate)
11.0 lb rate (for comparison, Losi Orange springs are 10.7 lb rate)

The orange springs look like they're the stiffest. How does it sit when it's idle? Should I give the DDM 9.6lbs spring rate a shot then? DDM's are a bit stiffer than losi's.

The DDM springs weren't in stock when I bought the orange springs. It sits much better than the original blue springs for sure but I felt I had more control with the spring preload with the orange springs. Im happy with the orange springs honestly and I cant speak for the ddm springs as I haven't tried them. Maybe someone who has them can chime in.

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'm going with the DDM middle spring rate. 13.5/9.6 FR/RR. I run on the grass quite a bit and the last thing I want is the thing bouncing up and down like a pogo stick because it's too stiff.

A friend of mine offered me 5ive springs that are gold colour? I can't find much info on it but a quick search on one site just shows that they might actually be even softer than the blue ones! What the heck is the point of that?

Get the tlr hinge pin setup then you can add anti squat to the rear ....no more
excited scoot GIF by NBA

???
Doubtful. I just ran the heaviest springs I could find and the chassis still slaps a little..just what it is really

I received the DDM HD springs (stiffest ones) and they work great! With almost 0 preload on the spring collar they sit about perfectly level. I did mild jumps over the weekend and never bottomed out once. I just ordered some 40wt oil to complete the setup, but definitely not too stiff.

After going out and bashing with the 5ive a few times, I can honestly say it is miles better than the DBXL. I used to be really defensive about the DBXL when Losi Fanboys would attack it's short falls, but compared to the 5ive it doesn't even feel like the same brand of car (because it isn't). 5ive handles better, it's smoother, very tough, just overall more well thought out in design. I jumped it probably 30+ times in one day and I have no experience jumping my cars. It landed flat on it's wheels every single time. The DBXL cartwheels and lands nose down constantly. I get nervous jumping it. As much as I love my DBXL, I could see myself selling it in the future whereas I'm going to keep the 5ive for a long long time. The 5ive is just so much more confidence inspiring.

I received the DDM HD springs (stiffest ones) and they work great! With almost 0 preload on the spring collar they sit about perfectly level. I did mild jumps over the weekend and never bottomed out once. I just ordered some 40wt oil to complete the setup, but definitely not too stiff.

After going out and bashing with the 5ive a few times, I can honestly say it is miles better than the DBXL. I used to be really defensive about the DBXL when Losi Fanboys would attack it's short falls, but compared to the 5ive it doesn't even feel like the same brand of car (because it isn't). 5ive handles better, it's smoother, very tough, just overall more well thought out in design. I jumped it probably 30+ times in one day and I have no experience jumping my cars. It landed flat on it's wheels every single time. The DBXL cartwheels and lands nose down constantly. I get nervous jumping it. As much as I love my DBXL, I could see myself selling it in the future whereas I'm going to keep the 5ive for a long long time. The 5ive is just so much more confidence inspiring.
And now you know why I sold my dbxl. It was a great starter platform, and that's about it.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks