5sc Steering Linkage Woes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonsterAir

Lone Racer 🤠
Just picked up a HPI Baja 5sc and can't seem to dial in the steering linkage. The truck has stock servo on it for now. Per the manual it says the servo horn is supposed to be off 10deg, which is how the horn sits naturally. Now the problem is I'm turning to the left faster than the right, meaning to the wheels get to full travel faster when turning to the left rather than the right, obviously because of the not centered servo horn. But HPI says in their manual that's how it's supposed to be Is this just a flaw of the stock setup or am I just doing something wrong?

the horns set right mate,
as doug said above , could be damaged servo,
or it could be something binding when turning right, pop the link off the servo saver and manually move the steering left right and see if theres a bind somewhere ,

I suppose the servo could be damaged some how but no grinding noise or chatter when still. I've pulled everything but the servo saver, maybe that's the issue but I don't think so. I'm getting the same issue we get with an offset servo horn but the HPI manual says this 10deg offset is spec so I assumed it was in design to work correctly.

Turning left there is less range of travel than turning to the right.

I suppose the servo could be damaged some how but no grinding noise or chatter when still. I've pulled everything but the servo saver, maybe that's the issue but I don't think so. I'm getting the same issue we get with an offset servo horn but the HPI manual says this 10deg offset is spec so I assumed it was in design to work correctly.

Turning left there is less range of travel than turning to the right.

so with just the servo saver connected the servos slow you mean mate ?
the 10deg offset is correct, but i take it everything had been set up by the previous owner before you got the car,
try taking the link off as i said before and work the servo with the radio to see if its slow one way,
then have a look at your radio and reset the steering endpoints to zero and check where the servo horn is,
if its straight up vertical then previous owner fitted the horn vertical and adjusted to the 10deg with the endpoints/trims,
make sure the servos at neutral with steering endpoints and trims in neutral position ,
then refit the horn at 10deg and try again to see what happens,
may still be a weak servo,
but also if you're trying to work the steering when the tyres are on carpet or grass then it will be slower,
tyres will drag on the carpet/grass and the saver will be turned a bit under the strain,
when the cars moving the steering would work fine, unless the servo savers adjusted wrong as well,
if thats the case then wind the adjuster screw in a turn or two on the top,but don't wind the screw too far or it will catch on the chassis underneath the saver, or get the manual out and reset the saver to correct tightness,
also, is your battery fully charged ?

Thanks for all the replies guys. Linkages are all correct, end points are set, and the servo horn is at 10deg offset. Servo saver was loose and spring I bet is warn. I'm gonna say screw it and pick up a symmetrical steering rack. Seems a better designed system and same as on my FG's.

Oh, alloy servo horn btw and battery was fully charged and new.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks