Advice on new engine for KM

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rustler50

Well if you read my previous thread titled "gear mesh" you guys know I was having starting problems. Well I decided to take the engine apart again and inspect it more with my dad. We found that the bearing that is on the shaft that goes through the piston failed. The pins were smashed, and broken. We believe that the pins scratched the side of the piston and put tiny dents on the top of it and to make things better the piston ring was jammed tight in the piston. I honestly don't know how I missed these things prolly just was in a hurry. So I decided instead of fixing the engine to just by a new one. So I was thinking about getting this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/29cc-Billet-Hea...ccessories&hash=item4ce8f620c6#ht_1673wt_1110 my spending range is around 200. So if you guys have any suggestions or comments shoot away. Also the sad part is I got the dominator V2 pipe and have yet to be able to run it... :(

Last edited:
i would not suggest those CY billet head motors. they tend to be a reall nice looking piece, but run like crap and fail sooner than later.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Zenoah-G270RC-M...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ceb1f6b15

this is a much better option. you ll just need to use your clone clutch housing and the zen one may interfer with our linkage.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Zenoah-G260RC-M...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35a3c1b4ce
nearly the same motor but 2 bolt cylinder instead of 4 bolt.

if you want a big bore, this is the motor you should buy.
http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.4449/.f

its MUCH better than the 29cc you posted.
this is a 28.5cc, so it is a big bore, and is around 70.00 less than the one you linked to. but will run ALOT better for you.

Tim

Zens may run a bit better, but the good stuff is in the durability of them. the CYs tend to have cylinder lining issues, the zens don't have. this alone makes the zens a better choice. and if you go with a 4bolt 23 or 26, you can now buy the zenoah 4bolt 36mm topend for a 28.5 to 30.5 motor. also at Daves, you can buy the ESP setups off the shelf now in many forms, which are all good running motors.

i highly suggest new crank bearings like the TFE SS (13.00) and new oil seals (6.00) as most the stock ones tend to fail. the Zens are Much better NSK bearings so do alot better in this respect.

i beleive MMR is a DDM Distributor.

ive seen alot of guys order from the US here, and many have said its not as much as they expected it to be. in some cases, it ends up being cheaper that way.

I agree, the billet head motors are junk, I bought a kit off oneil and the ring never seated in the head, after sending it back and them doing it again did it run, I sold it off shortley there after. ddm and oneil both build some nice motors

Go with "T's" recommendation on this one. The links he shows are some real nice dependable long lasting motors.
Ask around to see if anyone knows of any discounts to the local guys around you. Keep away from the B-head kits.:nono:

Good luck on your next buying venture. Will be nice when the package arrives. Not sure if you did the work on the motor that failed but, don't get down that it happened. I have heard of brand new motors failing the same way from clip failures.

I think im going to get the first one that he listed. The only thing that made me mad about my old motor is that I got a new pipe and have yet to been able to run it. Also the fact that the engine blew at a bad timing for available funds. So im going to have to wait till the 7th of may to order it, then the wait for it to ship is the worst part haha. O well ill get it back up and running. Thanks guys

I would fully agree with timmah on this. CY's are a hit and miss affair, sometimes the last long and sometimes they have problems out of the box where as Zenoah's are almost 100% of the time perfect out of the box. You definetly less likeley by allot to have probs with a zen over a CY. I would recomend a Zen 4 bolt.

4 bolt zen for longevity, cy for low bucks running, been running a cy for 3 years:clover:, just put a mod 28.5 kit on it,,,, secret:rolleyes: 10 oz oil "'castor 927'" per gallon

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks