DBXL 2.0 Alternative fuel tank cap for DBXL 2.0

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rajul

I find that the air filter gets in the way of the stock fuel tank cap. Fuel tends to leak out through the vent hole as well. Is there an alternative tank cap available in the market which does not need to be removed while fueling, and has a better vent design? Thanks in advance

Looks interesting. I remember seeing a picture of a cap which has a short tube on top of it. Can't recall where I saw it though

Since when is the gas cap inhibited by the air filter on the dbxl? The vent also needs plugged in the cap, and a small engine/ dirt bike vent added to the tank. Less hassle. Aftermarket caps pretty much suck. The alloy ones are one bad turn away from stripping or cross threading the filler neck anyway. Stick with plastic.

It fits the 2.0 tank. I have one.
There’s an o ring on the inside of the cap that comes unglued so be prepared to fix that.

@92 vert Thanks a lot for sharing this! I would like to ask you a few questions: 1) Does this cap prevent fuel from leaking out through the vent hole and flowing over the top of the fuel tank? This is the problem I am facing with the stock plastic cap. 2) How did you fix the o-ring inside the DDM cap? I wonder if the rubber inserts inside the stock plastic cap could be used to replace the o-ring? 3) Is there sufficient clearance between the DDM cap and the air filter housing to screw on and remove the cap? Thanks again

Last edited:
I have the cap and if the truck rolls over it does leak out of the vent. Also the oring is suppost to float in the cap so A. It can come out when needed and B it's not glued for the fact that the o ring needs to expand to seal the cap to the tank neck.

@Rep732 Is that a one-way valve at the top end of the tubing on the DDM cap? If that is the case, shouldn't the valve prevent fuel from leaking out in case the buggy rolls over? Thanks

I was told by Steve at DDM to glue the oring in.
In my case it falls right out if you flip the cap over. I have not glued it in but it’s a pain to put the cap on as it falls right out.

It shouldn't be an o-ring, it should be a D ring. They have a square profile. Other then bling factor the aftermarket caps don't offer anything the original caps don't offer. Like I said before, it's easier to plug the vent hole in the original cap and add a vent line. Doesn't much matter what you do it will leak some fuel out if the car is flipped over.

Guys, thanks a lot for all your valuable inputs. I decided to have a closer look at the stock fuel tank cap. I found the path of the fuel leak through the vent hole by observing traces of oil residue in the inner parts of the cap. It is going through the interface between the hard plastic fitting and the top inner surface of the cap, but definitely not through the one-way valve. I found a solution that cuts down the leakage quite significantly by inserting an o-ring between the plastic fitting and the top inner surface of the cap. I evaluated a few sizes of NBR o-rings (24-25 mm od and 1.5-2 mm thickness) and the most suitable one is the 24 x 2 mm. I have attached a few photos below and hopefully the installation procedure is self-explanatory. The recess in the cap made the o-ring installation very easy and straightforward! The cap has to be screwed to the tank snugly in order for the o-ring sealing to be effective, just the normal tightness would do.

Attachments

• IMG_6580.jpg
    IMG_6580.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6581.jpg
    IMG_6581.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6589.jpg
    IMG_6589.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Guys, thanks a lot for all your valuable inputs. I decided to have a closer look at the stock fuel tank cap. I found the path of the fuel leak through the vent hole by observing traces of oil residue in the inner parts of the cap. It is going through the interface between the hard plastic fitting and the top inner surface of the cap, but definitely not through the one-way valve. I found a solution that cuts down the leakage quite significantly by inserting an o-ring between the plastic fitting and the top inner surface of the cap. I evaluated a few sizes of NBR o-rings (24-25 mm od and 1.5-2 mm thickness) and the most suitable one is the 24 x 2 mm. I have attached a few photos below and hopefully the installation procedure is self-explanatory. The recess in the cap made the o-ring installation very easy and straightforward! The cap has to be screwed to the tank snugly in order for the o-ring sealing to be effective, just the normal tightness would do.
hi buddy, im loking for these o rings now, on ebay they listed with outer diameter, so would i need 22mm x 2mm which would give the outer diameter 24mm?

Cheers!

@tizdaz. The 22 x 2 mm o-ring would mean 22mm od and 2 mm thickness. It should work imo but 24 mm od will ensure the o-ring does not shift its position in the recess. This fix is only for the stock plastic cap. It will not work on the alloy cap you were looking for earlier.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks