DBXL 2.0 Another day, Another leak!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tizdaz

Will horizon EVER fix this issue or are they happy to continue shipping models out with this problem that they are well aware of?

Not only is it damn annoying but also a fire hazard, my chassis was plastered in fuel!?

I've already had 1 replacement tank sent to me from retailer I bought my 2.0 from, I contacted them again & they are going to send another tank, so now I have 2 tanks with holes like this & soon to be a 3rd no doubt, ive tried 2-part epoxy which held for a while, but then the fuel did its bit and eat through it, so now I have a 2 tanks damaged, I'm going to try and plastic weld the hole using some heat & piece of plastic, I didn't do it before as I didn't want to completely damage the tank, but now I have a spare or 2 I will try it!

problem is because its already had fuel in tank I cant use my flame torch for obvious reasons! as this would be best method for melting plastic, so I'm going to have to use my soldering iron I guess? or any other suggestion?

absolute joke!!

pics show the hole & the piece in my hand is the glue they used to fill the hole which basically rubbed off!!

20230821_012157.jpg
20230821_012202.jpg
20230821_012227.jpg

IMO, even though fuel has been in the tank it can be still be repaired using a flame. Rinse … repeat … and then see if it flashes off based on any residual vapor, I doubt it will, and then proceed.

Another option is to accept the hole and provision it with a sealed drain plug.

It’s an irritating situation but not insurmountable.

Share how you opt to proceed.

I'm with him. I'd try melting the plastic first then fuel resistant epoxy as second option. You know it's just gonna keep happening til it soaks something you'll regret

Is something making the hole? I don't have a dbxl to look at but can you give use some pics of the stuff that is close to the tank by the engine where that hole would sit.

Is something making the hole? I don't have a dbxl to look at but can you give use some pics of the stuff that is close to the tank by the engine where that hole would sit.
its a hole form the plug when the mould is made, they just didn't seal properly & did half a job, theres nothing near where the hole is & that area is actually sunk into the tank so its protected also!
as above, machine screw with a nice wide flat head and fuel proof sealant (y)
others have tried this method, but again its more of a temp fix as eventually fuel leaks out again, I'm looking for a perm solution now & the only one ive read about that does a perma fix is plastic welding it, so gonna give that a go and see what happens, will do it end of week prob :)

I can confirm the best fix is to just cut some pieces off another tank if you have one, and cut and shape something to fit in the hole as tight as possible then just use a soldering iron to melt the plastic to plug the hole. Then take another flat piece, and melt that down all the way over top of the hole. Fixes it permanently. Also don't overtighten the fuel cap, or you'll bend up the lip of the tank and it'll leak there too.

Piece of poop tanks ....

If it's under warranty I'd keep banging them about it too. No reason for this.
they sending me another new tank... no doubt with same issue lol.

But I had some 2-part JB marine weld that I use on my largescale rc tug boats which is very solid stuff & resistant vs fuel etc, I forgot I had some!. So ive put some of that on, maybe this will do the trick! ..will see as I haven't tested yet, but it seems to have filled the hole nicely.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks