Another Fun Day at the track..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, today, .. I went to test out my new Crazy Stu's on my Rovan 450 today. The engine ran great, but then everything went downhill. The brakes failed completely, the engine idle climbed so high on me, that the truck literally could not be stopped and moved forward at a brisk pace with no braking, not even slightly working. The truck body didnt fit perfectly since the Crazy Stu's was installed so it shifted forward and tore the antenna off in the front right corner. Then last but not least, my engine stop switch completely failed ... just failed, like it didnt exist..... .... So after tackling my unstoppable 1/5 scale truck, i wrestle it down to finally try to turn it off and i cant , omg, this would make a great youtube video. Then,.... After repeatedly pressing and holding the red stop switch, with no results, the engine keeps revving and the truck is trying to run away, im on the ground like a rugby player, my hands and arms are dripping blood from various injuries during this process. I decide to kill the engine with the choke lever....... Woops.... seams with the new Crazy Stu's air filter I can't reach the choke anymore from the front window opening. Now .. I'm scrambling trying to pull out all my pins off the body to remove it while its screaming in my face, so i can kill the engine. Finally I rip the body off and flip the choke lever and the engine dies. Crisis is over. Just a few flesh wounds and another day at the shop trying to fix this royal mess. It's all fun and part of the hobby... lol... !!! Thanks for listening... haha..

It's a pity no one videoed it.

So, today, .. I went to test out my new Crazy Stu's on my Rovan 450 today. The engine ran great, but then everything went downhill. The brakes failed completely, the engine idle climbed so high on me, that the truck literally could not be stopped and moved forward at a brisk pace with no braking, not even slightly working. The truck body didnt fit perfectly since the Crazy Stu's was installed so it shifted forward and tore the antenna off in the front right corner. Then last but not least, my engine stop switch completely failed ... just failed, like it didnt exist..... .... So after tackling my unstoppable 1/5 scale truck, i wrestle it down to finally try to turn it off and i cant , omg, this would make a great youtube video. Then,.... After repeatedly pressing and holding the red stop switch, with no results, the engine keeps revving and the truck is trying to run away, im on the ground like a rugby player, my hands and arms are dripping blood from various injuries during this process. I decide to kill the engine with the choke lever....... Woops.... seams with the new Crazy Stu's air filter I can't reach the choke anymore from the front window opening. Now .. I'm scrambling trying to pull out all my pins off the body to remove it while its screaming in my face, so i can kill the engine. Finally I rip the body off and flip the choke lever and the engine dies. Crisis is over. Just a few flesh wounds and another day at the shop trying to fix this royal mess. It's all fun and part of the hobby... lol... !!! Thanks for listening... haha..
Wrestling a 450 sounds insane! I'm still new but I usually shut my car off by blocking the exhaust with a hankerchief. The Flysky gt3b has a failsafe that locks the brakes when you turn the remote off!

Agreed both serious and dangerous situation to be in but the mental pictures of him wrestling it like a crocodile make me laugh.
I wouldn't have thought of the choke to stop it.
I probably would have gone for the fuel line.

I think I'd try to pull the spark plug wire, but he might have a guard in place that might make that impossible.
I would also not have though about choking, but I also don't have a choke...

It really is a shame this wasn't caught on film. But I'm at least glad there were no injuries. Kudos to you @Vinny for jumping into gear and tackling that beast before anyone could be seriously injured.

Wrestling a 450 sounds insane! I'm still new but I usually shut my car off by blocking the exhaust with a hankerchief. The Flysky gt3b has a failsafe that locks the brakes when you turn the remote off!
Lol, exactly, but as in all accidents they say its never just one thing that goes wrong, a chain of events.. , lol. My brakes failed and the engine was revving with no brakes. Post mortem exam revealed that when I replaced the carb onto the engine the gasket tore and obviously a major vacuum leak causing the car to be way off the previously tuned carb settings. The data is still coming in, meanwhile im nursing 1st degree burns on my abdomen and arms from the exhaust pipe , apparently laying on the truck with the body cover off is not a good idea, but it was all i could do to stop this beast...
BTW I'd be replacing the throttle servo too,
Why do you say that ? From what i described or just bc its a Rovan, just trying to understand. I didnt think the servo malfunctioned.
Agreed both serious and dangerous situation to be in but the mental pictures of him wrestling it like a crocodile make me laugh.
I wouldn't have thought of the choke to stop it.
I probably would have gone for the fuel line.
Yes, I thought of the fuel line as well, but i wasnt sure i could hold on to the truck during that brief period of intense acceleration you get during the " squeeze " . The choke killed it instantly. I am curious, with the Losi 5 T, is it the same process to remove the body as it is with the Rovan. I use the 4 pins, but never use the screws in the bottom. Is this the same system most people use, otherwise, if i had the screws in place, there is no way i could have got the body cover off to kill the engine, bc with the Crazy Stu's you cant reach the choke from the outside. This is something i need to mod or if anyone has any ideas. Thank you.

Last edited:
IF the servo is working.
Lol, exactly, but as in all accidents they say its never just one thing that goes wrong, a chain of events.. , lol. My brakes failed and the engine was revving with no brakes. Post mortem exam revealed that when I replaced the carb onto the engine the gasket tore and obviously a major vacuum leak causing the car to be way off the previously tuned carb settings. The data is still coming in, meanwhile im nursing 1st degree burns on my abdomen and arms from the exhaust pipe , apparently laying on the truck with the body cover off is not a good idea, but it was all i could do to stop this beast...

Why do you say that ? From what i described or just bc its a Rovan, just trying to understand. I didnt think the servo malfunctioned.

Yes, I thought of the fuel line as well, but i wasnt sure i could hold on to the truck during that brief period of intense acceleration you get during the " squeeze " . The choke killed it instantly. I am curious, with the Losi 5 T, is it the same process to remove the body as it is with the Rovan. I use the 4 pins, but never use the screws in the bottom. Is this the same system most people use, otherwise, if i had the screws in place, there is no way i could have got the body cover off to kill the engine, bc with the Crazy Stu's you cant reach the choke from the outside. This is something i need to mod or if anyone has any ideas. Thank you.

The servo was obviously jammed at full throttle and didn't respond to braking.

You still need a kill switch. When I installed my Killer bee I also set up the failsafe on my Futaba. That was a pain in the ass to figure out .

Your Throttle servo failed that's why your brakes stopped working. The servo failed by going wide open and locked there. That was why you had no brake. The same servo operates both.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks