Anyone bust a wheel yet?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
monaroman, buddy and I joined a few guys today on a farm we have been using for a while now. I think we had maybe a good 8 x Baja 5b's, 1 x FG Monster and my MCD Baja1000. I did two full fuel tanks and what an absolute blast!

The stock gearing out of the box is very low, I opted for the 4th gearing option but I think option 5 in the manual would be perfect for most conditions.

Nothing broke but I did manage to melt C & D spur gears just before I ran dry on the last tank. Happy camper indeed, btw the SLD Killers on the Lauterbacher worked a treat!

Good to here it ran well for you. There is a sticker on the chassis that reccomends lubing the drive components with chain oil. I'm not sure if the gears are intended to also be lubed but this may help with gear melting issues.

Read that myself Mike but no I don't think they are referring to lubing the plastic spurs myself. Good lord, if it melts some spurs every second trip out I'll be happy as a pig in mud!

My Fg Leopard and MT wouldn't see the same day through! Buddy of mine drove my Baja 5b all day as well also without incident. We tend to keep them planted with the rubber side down on not spend too much time driving them on the roof ;)

told you they are the best wheel and tire combo for the mcd

also you can buy straight from lauterbacher for around $140 plus shipping for a set of four glued

Great to hear you up and running mr flibble. I ran with the 27/36/24/25 ratio for a while but have switched to 33/30/24/25 as suggested from another forum which enabled the MCD to get good top speed if that your thing.

I have been using the chain lube on the gears (not the plastic) and axles as per recommendations but think you might actually be better of not using anything as the amount of dust it attracts in those areas soon turns it into a nice grinding paste. Makes cleaning a PITA.

I found the stock shocks to be too springy so replaced the stock 10wt oil (really thin) with 20wt and it made a huge difference so you might want to give it a try. If you do I suggest using either of the first two dampening positions. Im using the middle setting but the first lightest setting might be a fraction better over really rough stuff.

I also noticed the stock clear fuel hose hardens really bad after a while (the bit submerged in the tank) so keep an eye on that also. I have replaced mine with DDM tube which is better but not as flexible so you have to make sure the clunk is properly submerged otherwise you get air sucked in the line.

lauterbacher, I feel I can drive my Baja5b just as fast as my MCD on a good day. Same story with my FG leopard BUT both the FG Leopard and MCD are like cats in the air compared to the Baja5b and the MCD by the nature of 4wd is far more forgiving if I get out of whack on the ground. Doesn't make it better, just easier if I have a lapse in concentration or I'm just plain lazy.

Driving a 2wd vehicle fast and consistently takes skill. Driving something like the MCD takes less skill. I personally find driving the 2wd vehicles more rewarding but for sheer fun for a couple of hours of point and shoot activity the MCD is a blast and robust.

Will say one thing, the MCD employs a clean and simple design and makes wrenching on it far easier then both the FG's and HPI any day of the week!

And damn I love the shell!

Well I sold all my FG stuff today.... now to get my MCD :D

I just can't decide which model. I have a smal scale Citroen rally car so that is tempting, but I am leaning towards the stadium truck or buggy right now.

Hey mono you may want to try a dry lube like this one its meant to be heavy duty or you can get this other one from jaycar, they might not be as messy - I'm gonna give the jaycar one a shot as I can't get to blackwoods for a while.

Thanks for the tip mate. Might pop in to Jaycar and get a can to try.

Off the topic I would not recommend you run your MCD's with the lids off as I did for a few laps (now wanting to beat anymore on my already abused baja lid) mis-timed a jump and landed on the rollcage bending it like a bananna. As the tube it thin walled any attempt to bend it back just snaps it. Having owned a HPI Baja I am not yet used to not being able to land on the roof as I could do with the HPI as it had a flexible cage which was practically unbreakable.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks