Anyone running FLM Super Duty drives without boots?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnubisBC

The Professor ?‍?
Build Thread Contributor
So this happened to my new-ish hostile boots today on both sides: boot rip.jpg

I know the stock drive cups won't last long without greased boots, and I still have another set in the toolbox. But I've just ordered the FLM Super Duty cups and shafts wonder how they will last if I forego the boots. With Hostile out of business, no more will be made, and at $14 a set, I will easily overrun the cost of replacing the pins and cups on the FLMs if this kind of damage happens every run.

I'm just curious if anyone here has run this kit for any length of time without boots and can speak to their wear characteristics. I plan on running in sand a few times a year, so any sand experience would be a huge plus. Maybe I'll run them without boots except during sand runs. ?‍♂️

Other than the boots, today's run was pretty epic! I took some vids, but they don't really do it any justice. I was flinging rocks about 20 feet out the rear of the truck. And I was running a bit on the rich side.

I use boots? but no boots on IRC UHD drive n cups?‍♂️ not helpful ?‍♂️?
You don't think running on stones is what rips the boots?‍♂️
So this happened to my new-ish hostile boots today on both sides: View attachment 61074

I know the stock drive cups won't last long without greased boots, and I still have another set in the toolbox. But I've just ordered the FLM Super Duty cups and shafts wonder how they will last if I forego the boots. With Hostile out of business, no more will be made, and at $14 a set, I will easily overrun the cost of replacing the pins and cups on the FLMs if this kind of damage happens every run.

I'm just curious if anyone here has run this kit for any length of time without boots and can speak to their wear characteristics. I plan on running in sand a few times a year, so any sand experience would be a huge plus. Maybe I'll run them without boots except during sand runs. ?‍♂️

Other than the boots, today's run was pretty epic! I took some vids, but they don't really do it any justice. I was flinging rocks about 20 feet out the rear of the truck. And I was running a bit on the rich side.

Last edited:
I'm sure the stones finished ripping the boots off the drive cups, but they were on their way out after the first run on grass. They had small tears right about the middle of each cup. I just think the rubber from the hostile boots is starting to lose its resilience from sitting on shelves for so many years. When they first came out, there wasn't anything that could rip em.

I guess at this point I can afford to thrash a set of FLM cups and pins for the sake of science. Maybe I'll throw some chain wax on them for a modicum of protection and see how it works out.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks