Are reed valves worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks.
I think what I'm looking for is people that have/had them and their opinions on it.
Any input would be great.
Thanks.

Chances are ,if you have done any type of gardening with the use of a blower ,weed eater or chain saw ,
then you have already used an engine that had one!....lol

Chances are ,if you have done any type of gardening with the use of a blower ,weed eater or chain saw ,
then you have already used an engine that had one!....lol

Oddly enough most (all that I know of off the top of my head) weed wackers and chain saws are piston port anymore. And some (stihl mostly) have gone to a 4mix engine for the weekwacker/ blowers that is a goofy 4 stroke that uses 2 stroke oil in the gas and has no oil in the crankcase. I attribute this to the cost of manufacturing as a Reed is one more part to put into the engine and they arnt trying to get every last hp out if the engine.

I found the info I was looking for in a thread from 2012. Basically adding to piston port ,not much without modding and no guarantee. If your going to use,buy the engine /head etc made for it.
Yes didnt realize you were talking about a bolt on Reed kit. with out extensive piston and intake mods there's really no point. And the gains will be minimal at best. Did you look into the rotary valve system as well?

Sorry i assumed people knew what i meant with "Area Rc". They apparently offered a bolt on reed setup. Since i found my answer in 2012 thread i can see the mix up being that old. There is a setup for sale and i was wondering about it.
I'll have to be specific when asking questions.
Sometimes my mind brain farts like everyone else - (sometimes even moreso) lol.

Sorry i assumed people knew what i meant with "Area Rc". They apparently offered a bolt on reed setup. Since i found my answer in 2012 thread i can see the mix up being that old. There is a setup for sale and i was wondering about it.
I'll have to be specific when asking questions.
Sometimes my mind brain farts like everyone else - (sometimes even moreso) lol.

Well ,I remember the first time that I seen them in the 2 stroke ,LOL...didnt know why it was there ,the only thing
that I could come up with off the top of my head ,was it trapped the air & pressure inside the engine ,helping
the engine eccelerate smoother from low to high ,an have a quicker throttle response!
Was not sure if it had an actual power gain itself!

I did a cylinder Reed setup on a 36cc engine added boost ports and also Reed ported the piston I put a hole about a cm in diameter centre of the intake side of the piston I got bottom end gains very rapid acceleration but found I lost some top end and torque due to the engine running leaner after a re tune I got it running just fine then I swapped out the piston for a stock one and realised the Reed kit wasn't worth it you also need to create your own pulse line back to the carb from the crank case or cylinder

Thanks, Teejay112. I've read/viewed alot of info,just buy the engine setup for it.
I ended up getting a brand new obr 29.5 FM w/ billet case/stuffed crank long block for $160shpd. I have a wt990 but wondering if there is a better/as good carb for it?. I know the 990 is good, just looking for the latest info.

Thanks, Teejay112. I've read/viewed alot of info,just buy the engine setup for it.
I ended up getting a brand new obr 29.5 FM w/ billet case/stuffed crank long block for $160shpd. I have a wt990 but wondering if there is a better/as good carb for it?. I know the 990 is good, just looking for the latest info.
sounds like you got a good deal on that engine I have a wt 771 carb on mine but the 990 should be perfect for your engine from what I've heard

Yeah just checking to see if anything changed in the carb game. These days seems everyone has gone big bore and 1107 etc.
Yeah seems so lol but I have a 30.5cc that will give them bigbores a run for their money.the 1107 is good I had that on my rovan 45cc I do prefer the 771 I have now it's easy to tune and theres no lag on acceleration at all instant wheelies at quarter throttle when theres grip decided to put a coated piston last week

Attachments

• 20190718_172617.jpg
    20190718_172617.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 9
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks