At My Wits End Over Stripped Screw Holes!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another tip guys is to make sure your hex key wrenches have a sharp, defined hexagonal perpendicular face on them. If the corners are rounded over carefully grind away the worn tip. The Rovan hardware has sloppy tolerences on the hex fit so the bolt holes are quickly stripped.

Easy outs are the best way to remove stripped screws of any type. Sets usually have 4 or 5 different sizes. Drill out the center of the head (don't take it off) tap easy out in like you would with a punch. Chuck it in your impact (not a drill) and im yet to meet a screw that wont pop free. Also as a less permanent alternative to loctite you can try a bit of teflon tape. It hold just enough to avoid vibration backing screws out, but doesn't form a super tight bond.

Figured I'd suggest a few things to anyone who comes across this in future...

Heat! If it's aluminum an you can get heat on a stuck bolt/screw, heat that sucker up. Unless it's a 4mm+ sized head never crank as hard as you can to remove right away. Try and if no budge, heat. Penetrating fluid like PB blaster will work to, spray and let soak in for a few mins, then heat.

The idea behind heating is you want to expand the metal around the bolt/screw so it can pop out easier.

If all that fails you'll want a set of these SpeedOuts and a left turning drill bit. Hell a left handed drill bit might just be enough. You'd be surprised how well they grab and yank that stuck SOB, threads and all.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SpeedOut-8...xDXAJ-DLOtJlaEBJ6r0aAqiAEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Don't throw the part out give it another try.
If it's not a blind hole then you can drill it out. Use a hole center punch same size as hole to find the center and punch it. Next start with a small drill and drill it out and threw. You can use some more heat and cook it until you see some smoke. then use a ez out to back the screw out You may have to step size drill it out to get close to the original size tap.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks