Bad idle after full throttle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thoemse

Hello everyone. I am still pretty new to large scale gas engines.
I got a second hand smartech uno here. It is a FG marder clone. It runs on a 23cc engine. As far as I know it is a zenoah or a clone of it.
I got it back into pretty good condition and I tuned the engine that it will run on the first pull after choke. It has good power too.
When initially starting I do have a higher RPM idle (but way below where the clutch is catching). After driving a bit and warming up the engine I get the issue that the motor goes out after full throttle passages if I don't manually add some throttle. If I add some throttle and then let it idle it idles just fine but lower than when I initially started it. Once the engine went out it is harder to start unless I add some throttle when pulling wich results into getting it to start immediatly. To me that sounds like the engine got starved on gas. Is that correct?

I read here that this could be a clogged gas tank cap and the lack of ventilation. This model seems to have a separate tube for ventilating the tank though.
Any ideas what could cause this behavior?

I do know that this RC is a pretty low end kit compared to what most have here but it works other than that issue and it cost me next to nothing. It is a perfect basher and great fun to drive too.

Apparently the idle needle did not do much. I think i was too rich allready. Loads of smoke idling. I leaned it a bit and it is fine now. Now I get a reaction when adjusting the idle screw too.

This is a whole new learning experience for me....
Good fun though.

I changed two things (yeah never do that). I readjusted the tube ventilating the tank and I changed the idle screw and leaned it out a bit since it was running very rich in idle.
The result is good though. It did not go out anymore and it has good power.

Another question: The buggy came with a FG pipe. It is an upgrade part. It does leak (see pic). How to seal it properly?
And yes it is dirty. Was bashing on dirt roads. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20200327_180849.jpg
    IMG_20200327_180849.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 15
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks