BAJA 5b SS won’t start.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ESC-RC

Hi guys.Ran my BAJA today and it lasted about 10 mins and cut out.Was only going slow with it as it has not been run in years.There was a bit more smoke coming out of it just before it died.I tried to start it up again and it did but cut out after 2 seconds.Can not get it going again but it sounds as if it wants to fire up but doesn’t.It got very sluggish just before it cut out.I guessing I have a carb problem.With the car sitting for so long as soon as I put some gas in it it probably got all bunged up. Another thing when I pressed the throttle just before it cut out the buggy reved up and then revel up again with no throttle applied.Anyway what do you guys think.

Hi guys.Ran my BAJA today and it lasted about 10 mins and cut out.Was only going slow with it as it has not been run in years.There was a bit more smoke coming out of it just before it died.I tried to start it up again and it did but cut out after 2 seconds.Can not get it going again but it sounds as if it wants to fire up but doesn’t.It got very sluggish just before it cut out.I guessing I have a carb problem.With the car sitting for so long as soon as I put some gas in it it probably got all bunged up. Another thing when I pressed the throttle just before it cut out the buggy reved up and then revel up again with no throttle applied.Anyway what do you guys think.
I'm thinking the carb is full of crap. Id clean it out or just buy a new carb, the thing you described "when I pressed the throttle just before it cut out the buggy reved up and then revel up again with no throttle applied." Sounds to me like it is very lean. Also check spark just to be sure it is fuel related.

Thanks for the advice guys.I changed the spark pulg and it started up no prob.Im thinking I’m running it to rich with oil.Is it normal for oil to build up on the rear spoiler.There is a lot of oil on the rear spoiler when I run the buggy on idle for maybe a half tank and there is more smoke out the back end than I’m seeing in online videos of a baja running.I’m new to this hobby so bear with me.Also the spark plug I took out was new but when I checked it was not fireing.I‘m thinking I’m running to rich and fouling the pulg.The engine has maybe 3 tanks of idle through it and maybe 30 mins of low throttle through it no more so I think the engine is sound.It has a new fuel line kit installed and new air oil filter.Im useing 2 stroke motorcycle oil.

Thanks for the advice guys.I changed the spark pulg and it started up no prob.Im thinking I’m running it to rich with oil.Is it normal for oil to build up on the rear spoiler.There is a lot of oil on the rear spoiler when I run the buggy on idle for maybe a half tank and there is more smoke out the back end than I’m seeing in online videos of a baja running.I’m new to this hobby so bear with me.Also the spark plug I took out was new but when I checked it was not fireing.I‘m thinking I’m running to rich and fouling the pulg.The engine has maybe 3 tanks of idle through it and maybe 30 mins of low throttle through it no more so I think the engine is sound.It has a new fuel line kit installed and new air oil filter.Im useing 2 stroke motorcycle oil.
Yeah 3 tanks and 30 mins of light running rich sounds would foul a plug. If there's that much smoke and oil coming out it is too rich. Here's a tuning video, skip to 15:34 for tuning

Change the fuel and give it a wide open run to get the crap out of the fuel system.
Probably a buildup of oil in the crankcase too.
If it was left sitting with fuel in it the fuel will have evaporated and left the oil in the tank.

Thanks guys.What oil do you guys use.I just used motorcycle oil I got from a petrol station at 25 to 1.Is there specific oil just for 1/5 scale cars.

Here’s a pic of the buggy running at idle for 15mins.Is this normal?.

Attachments

• 84A1E8E7-7CEE-452E-85DA-38C6F2B68C8E.jpeg
    84A1E8E7-7CEE-452E-85DA-38C6F2B68C8E.jpeg
    212.3 KB · Views: 13
  • A89C06C4-096B-435C-A668-9E0AAEC3D35F.jpeg
    A89C06C4-096B-435C-A668-9E0AAEC3D35F.jpeg
    191.8 KB · Views: 14
I was using Havoline and it ran fine in my fuelie, but when I traded up to an OBR, I found that it left a lot more carbon buildup than I was comfortable with on the piston. I've since switched over to Castor 927 as well. You'll still get oil on your wing no matter what you use, it's perfectly natural. I usually have a nice oily mess all over anything that the exhaust touches every time I go out. Just part of running a 2 stroke gasser.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks