Baja Gearing for racing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny Crash

Hi Guys,
Tested the Baja 5B at the club track on Sunday for the first time after buying second hand. Need your thoughts see if I’m thinking this right. Got some racing coming up next month. Without much time to trial different combinations. Currently I have stock set 57/17. Running a 29cc Dynamite. Track had just been groomed and was dry, about 1/2” plus of loose surface.
Found it uncontrollable on take off. Tire choice was not the best Hostile MX mini stud.
Think of going 55/19 combo, to have more control on acceleration. I also have some Dirt Buster tires in transit.
Am I on the right track.. thoughts?

alot depends on the track itself to what gearing u want ?....short n twisty u want shorter gearing?...longer straights u'll want a bit more on top end obv?....when i raced my 5bss i was on stock 17/57 gearing and that worked for me ?
Thanks evssv,
I understand what you mean. Track is long with 3 180’ turns almost standing starts. Just thought I could lift the gear so it wouldn’t be so snappy on take off, even with the slightest touch progression of throttle it gets out of line. I’ll try with the new tires I have coming this Sunday in our club meet. Track would also be watered. Maybe it was just the loose stuff after grooming that was making it impossible to drive. If not I’ll go in between 56/18. Having a 29cc it shouldn’t bog it down too much.
Cheers

Thanks evssv,
I understand what you mean. Track is long with 3 180’ turns almost standing starts. Just thought I could lift the gear so it wouldn’t be so snappy on take off, even with the slightest touch progression of throttle it gets out of line. I’ll try with the new tires I have coming this Sunday in our club meet. Track would also be watered. Maybe it was just the loose stuff after grooming that was making it impossible to drive. If not I’ll go in between 56/18. Having a 29cc it shouldn’t bog it down too much.
Cheers

I don't race ,but as a basher on one of my 1/8 .I changed the gear ratio to tame take offs & wheelies!

I think that you might can do that to suit your taste ,but not compromise the off the line punch too much!....(y)

The only thing to do at this point ,is to experiment ,it is common for all racers to do that an have different sets
of gears in their tool boxes!...:cool:

Thanks for your thoughts guys... ;)
See how I go on Sunday. Won’t have the higher gearing in time but with the new tire tread will definitely know if It’s required.

those dirt busters respond very well with a good soaking of tire grip compound about 15 min before race. keep it off sidewall so tire does not get too soft and slip out of beadlock. For a big dirt tire like that get traction compound for COLD temp and for rubber T/C radials. And yes dump that clutch spring for a 6k. Make sure shock oils are not too thick as a basher may have had it last playing Dukes Of Hazard

also if your TX will allow get into the 2nd channel and dumb it up a little so it is not so punchy. Do forward only not brake side

Last edited:
throttle curve , you can slow things up near neutral band and and ramp up to normal later in curve, Kind of like a poor man slipper clutch,....Did I put that out right ? I do not think dual rate will mix in ? Have to have a look at tx pop up screen and see if the two will play with each other

Yea the throttle curves come in handy for low traction tracks , Has alot better control over throttle than our punchy trigger finger !
It only takes a small blip of trigger finger in a tight 180 turn on a track covered with 3/4 inch loose crap to be spun out and passed by the whole pack !
trying to use the manual for the tx can sometimes explode your head! I took two road cones and put them about 50yds apart in grass not pavment and then drive as fast as I can in a figure 8 and cut as close to cones as I can, Then I played with the throttle curves and speed and see what they each did. I in end even found myself slowing the steering response down to make cleaner faster laps.

Last edited:
You can also tune your throttle response by altering the length of the servo arm "throw". Basically a longer arm = faster sweep = very quick throttle response. Shorter arm is basically opposite, slower sweep, more forgiving throttle. Longer servo arm also = less torque applied to your linkage, shorter arm = greater torque to your linkage.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks