Baja Gearing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevTrem

Afternoon all.

I finally killed my 57 tooth hostile spur the other day (after 15months use) due to pinion bolt coming loose.
So need to replace it, but should I stick with my 17/57 set up or go for an 18/56??

The reason I ask is I have been known to snap the drive pins with the 29cc and the acceleration to top speed is very quick, clutch wear is minimal.

The hostile spur is only £10, same for 56 or 57tooth, the pinion is £15 for 18tooth so cost is negatable. It generally runs on open fields with the occasional gravel carpark bash.

What would you do?

Thanks in advance

18/56 kev, or if the stuffs cheap enough try 19/55 (y),
i run my stock 32 and obr reed 34 on 19/55 and seems to be the sweet spot for general bashing
ported 29 should pull 19/55 ok :D

18/56 kev, or if the stuffs cheap enough try 19/55 (y),
i run my stock 32 and obr reed 34 on 19/55 and seems to be the sweet spot for general bashing
ported 29 should pull 19/55 ok :D
Cheers Spents,

Think I will grab the 18/56, if I feel the need to put it on a track I will go back to the 17/57.

Thanks again

Here's something I didn't mention and had forgotten about until servicing the Baja over last couple of days. I made some rings for the outdrives cups to stop me smashing them when crashing. Had some good tumbles on them and they seem to be holding up. They also stop the dog bones travelling to the end of the cups.
They are made from aluminium and are tap on with a hammer fit.
Also stop the boots sliding off and spraying grease everywhere.
20210422_093551.jpg20210422_094008.jpg

That's cool, I think it will last. Its basically the same as the dark soul toobz and people liked those when they were made 👍
If it reduces rebuilding the diff as often then it's a win in my books. Up to now when ever it blows a drive cup it always destroys the small bearing in the diff and the seal.
So with these rings and the extension limiters I'm hoping the drivetrain lasts longer.

Nice whole month eh👍🏻 keep posting👏🏻
Had about 2 hours on the Baja today bashing hard and tuning. 2 tanks of fuel later and the only thing broken was a clutch spring, bent the spoiler from a couple of good tumbles and cartwheels.
Limit cables did their job, Baja is running sweet now and dare I say is almost reliable.
Got the bairn metal working in the garage, he wanted to play with the hammer, so taught him the right way to bend aluminium straight, he did canny for a 5 year old lol.

Last edited:
Had about 2 hours on the Baja today bashing hard and tuning. 2 tanks of fuel later and the only thing broken was a clutch spring, bent the spoiler from a couple of good tumbles and cartwheels.
Limit cables did their job, Baja is running sweet now and dare I say is almost reliable.
Got the bairn metal working in the garage, he wanted to play with the hammer, so taught him the right way to bend aluminium straight, he did canny for a 5 year old lol.
spot on then kev (y)(y),
you do realise the american fellas on here are gonna be thinking/saying ''say what'' about some of yer last post don't ya ? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:,

translation northern english to everywhere else,
1 bairn = child,
2 canny= good
(y)(y):ROFLMAO:

spot on then kev (y)(y),
you do realise the american fellas on here are gonna be thinking/saying ''say what'' about some of yer last post don't ya ? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:,

translation northern english to everywhere else,
1 bairn = child,
2 canny= good
(y)(y):ROFLMAO:
I forget where I am sometimes pmsl.
Been a good day out though, out of 5 RC's all came back in running order.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks