Baja shock help please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A Dawg

So I’ve always wanted a 5b and I knew I wanted a authentic hpi so I ended up Finding a 5bss. At least it’s got the ss stickers and orange anodized components. My goal was to kinda restore it and upgrade just whats really needed.

I finally started tear down and I opened up the rear shocks. First off it’s got the non hd shocks I think which have the normal pistons and the foam pieces as shock seals. Kinda weird. Ok so first problem is both c clips that go under the pistons are broken. Foam seals are a bit worn out. The shocks were not leaking but the pistons weren’t moving so there wasn’t any pressure inside.

My questions are
-If I just get 3mm c clips from the hardware store will they hold or do I need the hpi hd c clips
-I’ve read you can’t use silicone oil so what can I use. Hpi stuff is not really available
-can’t find a rebuild kit is there any options

should I just buy some knock off rebuild kit that comes with the whole bottom assembly or should I get c clips and rebuild these and try to maybe put o rings in here instead of the foam. I guess should I waste my time or just find another way to fix the rear shocks. I wanted to keep the suspension factory but not sure if it’s practical without parts.

thanks

So I’ve always wanted a 5b and I knew I wanted a authentic hpi so I ended up Finding a 5bss. At least it’s got the ss stickers and orange anodized components. My goal was to kinda restore it and upgrade just whats really needed.

I finally started tear down and I opened up the rear shocks. First off it’s got the non hd shocks I think which have the normal pistons and the foam pieces as shock seals. Kinda weird. Ok so first problem is both c clips that go under the pistons are broken. Foam seals are a bit worn out. The shocks were not leaking but the pistons weren’t moving so there wasn’t any pressure inside.

My questions are
-If I just get 3mm c clips from the hardware store will they hold or do I need the hpi hd c clips
-I’ve read you can’t use silicone oil so what can I use. Hpi stuff is not really available
-can’t find a rebuild kit is there any options

should I just buy some knock off rebuild kit that comes with the whole bottom assembly or should I get c clips and rebuild these and try to maybe put o rings in here instead of the foam. I guess should I waste my time or just find another way to fix the rear shocks. I wanted to keep the suspension factory but not sure if it’s practical without parts.

thanks
The knock off kits are poop, they come seized and the shafts bent pretty easy. Normal 3mm clips will works, and silicon oil will work. What you red is bull ? lol.

Ok cool. Yeah when I read about the oil I was like wtf lol.
Yeah my whole goal was to try and keep it factory where ever possible.

Are the shock body’s from the vvc shocks and normal ss rtr shocks the same size. If I some how found a rebuild kit and piston kit could I use that with the shock body’s I have now?

Dougster every time I do something like this I have plans to photo document and make a thread and I just get in the zone when I’m working. I’ll try and get some pics going.

what wt oil you guys run for general bashing. Seems like you run real light in the back on these things??

Awesome thanks guys. I found two sets of original hpi pistons which would refresh all 4 shocks and they come with the us c clips. I’ll be excited when they actually ship. Just gotta either figure out something for the foam gasket things or just re use them and see if they are ok.

Let me take some photos. I verified that it’s correct with the 5b manual but yeah. Freakin foam lol. There are two of them in the bottom cartridge. D0938BA7-CB4B-4771-9A39-C5FA1993F2DB.jpeg
Oh and it’s missing the o rings. So I got two foam washers and no o rings hahaha. Not sure how the oil was still in there

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks