Ball Drive Set Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csp1971

After all of the pain of having dogbones snap and outdrives fall out, I'm thinking about the Carson Ball Drive Set for my Firehammer MT.

Ball Drive Set Link

Does anyone have any information on this? Is it that much better than the normal dogbone outdrive set up found on the Smartech's and FG's? How is it to maintain these?

Thanks!
csp

That's what I need then! I'm sick of those :censored: dogbones snapping and not fitting into the outdrives correctly. I must be the only one with this problem. Now I just have to think of some other stuff to order from HobbyThek to make the $40 shipping not seem so high. They have a 17 tooth pinion, so maybe I'll add that as well and a few extra spares for the ball drive.

Cool! :)

Hey Marder69, Just received the set today from HobbyThek. Do you have to grease the balls or anything before installation?

I just found out I'm supposed to put some grease in the boot.

Anyway, here some pics of the Carson ball drive set for the Firehammer MT:

IMG_4114.jpg

IMG_4110.jpg

IMG_4118.jpg

IMG_4119.jpg

IMG_4120.jpg

IMG_4122.jpg

IMG_4127.jpg

IMG_4128.jpg

IMG_4130.jpg

IMG_4105.jpg

Lubed it up and ran it tonight for the first time! Awesome, even put a 17 tooth pinion gear on it, a bit more bottom end.

ball drives

ok you guys now I want a set of them ball drives and the 17 tooth pinion gear so were did you get them and how much did they cost? how much bottom end did that 17 tooth gear did it give you :confused:

Hey Leadfoot:

Here are the links to Hobbythek where I purchased the Ball Drive set and the 17 tooth pinion gear. Which vehicle do you have?

I had a 19tooth on my Firehammer MT and the 17tooth added just a bit more bottom end. Not a ton, but enough for me to see a bit of a difference. It seems to accelerate a little better than with the 19 tooth. I also have the topend DDM pipe so now I'm trying to squeeze out a bit more bottom end.

Ball Drive (for the Firehammer or clone, you want the one for the attack, for the Firehammer MT or clone, you want the one for the Comanche)

Pinions

(Any of the listed will work: 17 to 20 tooth)

Just an FYI. After a couple tanks the boots rip. POS's. Other than that, these things work awesome. I'll have to see if the FG boots will fit.

I put a similar kit in my Firehammer and ya, it woke up I could tell.:) http://www.oneillbrothersracing.com/rccar/itemdescription/27ccbbk.htm
The clutch set really makes a difference in my opinion, its kinda weird to sit there and rev up some like its in neutral and when you give it throttle it help the wind up, I could tell the difference there too in my Baja and love it.

Last edited:
ok everyone I need your help I just bought new tires & rims I went and bought the huge 8 1/2 " swamp kong tires .now here is were you all com in I can't seem to be able too find adapters for them it takes 14mm hex ? so is there any one that makes the adapter or doyou know any one that will make them please lit me know I am dieing to go out and thrash them. has any one ever hae any problem with the left rear tire coming lose I have tried new nylcks but no luck!!!! help if you can THANKS Eric

p.s. I have a firehammer mt I will post it just as soon as I mount the tires I think I might but a 2 speed trans in it this winter will see how the tires do

Working on balldrive mold

I am working on a mold for the Ball Drive boots. I have had been through a few on my Marder, mainly to the dry and sandy areas I run in. These should also fit on the Carson versions. I am just trying right now to find the right composition and experiment with fiber reinforcement to counter any possible balloning or weakening. I think I will make two versions, one which is for the hotter climates, and another for the colder. The boots will incorperate a slots for either zip ties or lacing wire (fine lacing wire). I will keep this posted and hope that by years end I will have a prototype to show for the effort.

ok everyone I need your help I just bought new tires & rims I went and bought the huge 8 1/2 " swamp kong tires .now here is were you all com in I can't seem to be able too find adapters for them it takes 14mm hex ? so is there any one that makes the adapter or doyou know any one that will make them please lit me know I am dieing to go out and thrash them. has any one ever hae any problem with the left rear tire coming lose I have tried new nylcks but no luck!!!! help if you can THANKS Eric

Crazy Nut made some, but I don't know about 14mm:

http://cgi.ebay.com/FG-1-5TH-CRAZY-...ryZ44028QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I am working on a mold for the Ball Drive boots. I have had been through a few on my Marder, mainly to the dry and sandy areas I run in. These should also fit on the Carson versions. I am just trying right now to find the right composition and experiment with fiber reinforcement to counter any possible balloning or weakening. I think I will make two versions, one which is for the hotter climates, and another for the colder. The boots will incorperate a slots for either zip ties or lacing wire (fine lacing wire). I will keep this posted and hope that by years end I will have a prototype to show for the effort.

Cool! Mine tore on the first tank! Something better would be great.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks