DBXL 2.0 Bartolone exhaust touches cage.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freelander

Not sure where to go from here.

The capped end of the pipe is under the cage on the driver side and up against it

It'll melt it for sure, no?

I can't really turn it or the rear a arm will hit the exhaust pipe. Not a whole lot of play in it. If I could just get it a bit lower it'd have at least some clearance(?)
Don't really want to hack off part of the cage.

20221120_010420.jpg20221120_010242.jpg20221120_010346.jpg20221120_010223.jpg20221120_010232.jpg

So sorry
Hard to photograph well. There's only the one bracket that goes on a bolt holding the pull starter/flywheel cover on and it does not seem to work in any other orientation.
I am also now exhausted. Need to sleep on it before I get too frustrated.

Last edited:
I'll take a some better pictures this morning.

In terms of pushing the end back for there to be any clearance the rear arm hits the pipe.
That tab that bolts to the vibration dampening rubber (isolator?) I bent a bit both up and down now trying to rotate the end of the pipe a bit to get it away from the cage but marginal is an excellent way of putting it: even with it millimeter close to the rear A arm it still touches. To the point I figure it might contact if and when it vibrates at all and the rear suspension moves and/or the exhaust will probably melt the arm.

Last edited:
make sure the pipe is pushhed fully home into the manifold mate (y), sometimes you don't get it pushed all the way cos you cant see or feel when the blue silicon is on there,
give it a decent shove till you feel it stop,
also try slackening off the mount on the fan case and let it sit at an angle, you can see in the pics that you have a lot of strain on the bobbin/vibration mount, let it sit natural and see if that changes things for the better,
the pipes always gonna be a tight fit, but with a bit of jiggery pokery you should get it to clear everything,
once you get it right it will probably become obvious where ya went wrong (y),

20221120_072722.jpg20221120_072737.jpg

Yeah I am pretty confident the pipe part is seated all the way in the header(?) That would indeed solve the problem. I will try and slack that bracket a bit so it goes where it wants to but previously it was turned a bit counter clockwise and the pipe sat higher up and worse on the cage.

We ended up reinforcing and then slashing out part of the cage. I'll send some pics in a minute or two.

New pipe, new shoes.
We never got close to full pull in this video. Gonna bring it in and give it a once over but everything seemed tight leaving the spot.

20221120_160614.jpg

20221120_155001.jpg20221120_160603.jpg20221120_154942.jpg

I really feel like this was a barbaric solution but after running about a half liter through it there are no signs of any melting and I judge that if we get a direct impact in there we are going to have problems the cage would not save.

In terms of rollover protection I think the cage is not compromised because of it's numerous attachments to the chassis and none of that lattice is affected.

20221125_170311.jpg16694138649488910376113612595113.jpg

Loving this thing into place now. Seems to be working out.

16694139435946017205077993268732.jpg

Bending this bracket thing to get more clearance from the rear a arm now we made more room trimming the cage.

Mine was touching the A-Arm so I flipped the bracket they provided around and drilled the hole out so that the bolt would fit. Mine had two different sized holes which made you use it the one way. By flipping the bracket I was able to get it to clear. It does not touch the cage. Make sure you get it fit and settled BEFORE putting the spring on. Clear as mud?

Mine was touching the A-Arm so I flipped the bracket they provided around and drilled the hole out so that the bolt would fit. Mine had two different sized holes which made you use it the one way. By flipping the bracket I was able to get it to clear. It does not touch the cage. Make sure you get it fit and settled BEFORE putting the spring on. Clear as mud?
Can you take a picture of the pipe as installed, please? In particular the orientation of the bracket?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks