Battery baja question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweetlou0069

Hi can I get bigger then 6v for my hpi baja or would the servos not handle it ?? I'm asking because when my battery is fully charge it works great if I do not plug the lights in but if I plug the lights in with the 2 servos ( one is a 35kg servo) n the kill switch I have like 5 mines of fun n then the kill switch kicks in every time I brake n turn at same time. I understand my battery prolly is dieing also , but b4 I order a new one I just wanted to no my option . Thx

You need to see if your servos and reciever can handle a lipo. It will be in whatever spec sheet that came with them, or you could post up names and model numbers and they boys will chime in.

Ok thx you I'll look it up on google with the model numbers. But the step up from 6v is lipo right ? Like the 7.4 volt ones ??

It will, I run a 3pv futaba. What brand of servos do you got?
This is one the other one gummy a minute I gotta check. But this one says in description 7.4v so it should be ok for lipo right ?Screenshot_20191210-203614_Amazon Shopping.jpg
It will, I run a 3pv futaba. What brand of servos do you got?
Do I have to check the kill switch if it accepts lipo too?? Its the killer rc bee kill switch I got
The steering servo is hpi sfl-10mg2

Last edited:
That servo pictured will take it. Says 7.4 volt in the description. The killer bee will be fine
You'll just need to reset it for you low voltage cut off
That servo pictured will take it. Says 7.4 volt in the description. The killer bee will be fine
You'll just need to reset it for you low voltage cut off
Is there also a upgrade box for the lipo battery on the baja or I gotta manage ?

Last edited:
If you have some basic soldering skills you can also run a Castle 10Amp BEC which is what I do in all my rigs. It's really inexpensive and makes sure you have a clean constant voltage all the time. Then you can run a lipo and select whatever voltage you want going to the receiver using the castle link software. I run a 20A in my DBXL just for peace of mind. However, I think that's overkill. 10A should be plenty. If you source parts from overseas, YEP is also a fantastic inexpensive BEC. The voltage outputs are jumper selected.

Without a BEC at the full 7.4V you'll get inconsistent performance seeing as how voltage fluctuates under load and also while the juice runs out, the voltage drops, the servos will get weaker. That's why I just run 6.0V through the BEC. The Lipo will never drop below that voltage (assuming you don't over discharge and damage it) so the BEC ensures performance stays consistent.

Last edited:
Bryan, do run really small li po packs or are you worries about frying a rx? Did you have some glitching problems? I've never had issues related with low voltage on my nitro rigs, or my dbxl? Now my electric rc all run external bec's. Cant trust the built in one's to deliver consistent power. And most, if not, all new receivers can take a rather wide range of voltages. And shouldn't give issues if your battery is properly sized as lipos have a very linear discharge, (if c rating is high enough)

Chalk it up to paranoia I guess. I don't like running my electronics at the maximum ratings so I always like to go a step down from what they're rated at. Plenty of torque and speed from my servos @ 6V anyways. Eg. I have a good Hi-tech throttle/brake servo on my baja but it only takes max 6V while my steering servo takes 7.4V. I guess in that case it's a requirement to run a BEC w/ a Lipo. If your electronics are all rated for max 7.4V or higher, you shouldn't need the BEC then. Truth be told, I don't think you'd notice a difference with the voltage drop under load anyways, but I've measured it while moving the steering and throttle/brake servo and it can vary between 3.87V and 4.20V per cell on a 20C 2S 1800mAH lipo. Considering receiver packs are rated at 10-15C, I'd just rather not have to think about it and run the BEC. You'd also have to consider how colder temperature affect voltage drop as well. Anyways, the BEC is better, so why not? You're not stuck to the voltage the battery outputs.

I've seen so many cases where people upgrade to lipos for the receiver pack then end up blowing the servos because they didn't check the max voltage ratings. Especially if you have an older Baja rig. Most of those servos are only rated for 6V. The PowerHD servos that are rated for 7.4V volts that a lot of people seem to run these days also glitch and heat up badly at anything above 6V. I have several of their servos and found this to be the case. Btw, I've already given my thoughts in another thread about the "DS" branded servos which is what the OP has. They are not reliable at higher voltages or any voltage for that matter. 2 of my friends and I have given poor reviews for the 60KG version of the DS servos on Amazon.

Last edited:
I can get behind that train of thought. I assume you did your voltage drop test as a static load? Just turning the wheels stationary? Could you post up some results? (If you still have them that is, just curious really) I've seen cells deviate under load but not to that extent. Usually It at most would be a .2 to .3 difference, some times less. I wonder if its from being a smaller mah pack then what I run ? you have definitely given me something to think about ?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks