belt drive

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the whole belt drive thing is fairly new on large scale RC.
I have seen a few guys run it on the X-Maxx and said there was no drawbacks. It ran quieter and the only complaint was a longer setup time getting the belt tension right.
In my mind's eye I could see this being more flexible in bashing scenarios possibly saving you from damaged gears.

-Liberty

I really don't see how it can be any stronger than steel gears. A lot easier to strip teeth off of a belt than a steel gear. Only plus I could see is it would be quieter but on a gas rc your not going to hear it over the engine anyways

Been running one for years.
They don't strip or break teeth like gears and are not only quieter but don't produce heat like gears do.
Belts last forever.

Well there's gotta be a reason they are not available anymore. What works usually sticks around and what doesn't falls to the wayside
And not to mention the gearbox would have to be redesigned. With a stock setup the pinion and spur gear spin in opposite directions. With a belt drive they would spin the same direction, making your wheels spin in reverse

Last edited:
Well there's gotta be a reason they are not available anymore. What works usually sticks around and what doesn't falls to the wayside
And not to mention the gearbox would have to be redesigned. With a stock setup the pinion and spur gear spin in opposite directions. With a belt drive they would spin the same direction, making your wheels spin in reverse

This is mine on my Redcat.
The guy that makes em runs a CNC machine shop and only makes em in his spare time
Never seen em for anything else except the Carbon FighterBelt.jpg

That looks epic bet it has virtually no noise.
Some harley Davidson bikes have belt drive seems to work grwat for them why not in a rc setup?(y)

I actually did a bearing and put my gear plate back in while I waited.
I'd forgotten how noisy the gears were until then.

I have seen 11mm wide gears on ebay used for 3d printers (in aluminum and stainless steel)
I wonder if a standard belt would hold up? The gears range $3.00 to $15.00 on eBay. Seems like a cheap and effective mod.

-Liberty

I have seen 11mm wide gears on ebay used for 3d printers (in aluminum and stainless steel)
I wonder if a standard belt would hold up? The gears range $3.00 to $15.00 on eBay. Seems like a cheap and effective mod.

-Liberty

As long as they have the correct bore and tooth size they should be OK.
If you change diameters you will have to find belts to fit.
I've had no probs with the stock belt

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks