Bullet proofing MCD diffs.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MA1N5T

Is there any tricks to making the planetary gears last..?

They are tiny and weak.

Can I purchase something to replace these?

Any tips would be great.

I have a Gen 1......are the evo 3 gears better?

advanced thanks.

hi,
The generation 1 are probably a little weaker than the other versions. You could get some metal ones, but they are really expensive, like $90 just for 2.. I would say first try with newer plastic ones and then decide from there. I have the plastic and they have lasted me 2+ gallons so far and keep going. I bought the metal ones for later replacement, but i now think i wasted my money..

Chris

The black plastic gears can be made to last along time providing they are run-in carefully when first installed.

Take it easy for the first 5 to 10 minutes - no hard acceleration just gentle runs.

Clive

LOL....I think you guys are talking about the transmission gears on the side of the vehicle.....I have a full 4 set of metal ones.

I am talking about the tiny planetary gears inside the differentials.

I was going to purchase 8 planetary gears, but it was going to cost nearly the same as a full diff assembly, so I got 2 full set front and back.

Set me back nearly $400.00 Australian dollars shipped .....more in some places.

Has anyone else had this problem?

This MCD thing is going to be shelf queen if it costs this much everytime I bash.

:eek:mg:

The pre 2008 internal diffs gears did occassionally fail/break. The diffs were redesigned early in 2008 and I have not heard of anyone suffering any issues with them.

I have the pre 2008 diffs in my three MCDs and have never suffered any failures. Normally the failures occur due to poor maintenance rather than defective parts.

The grub/set screws on the diff output cups most be kept tightened (threadlocked as well) because if they work loose the output shaft gear will eventually move inwards locking the diff and if it happens at speed the gears will fail!!!!!

Clive

The pre 2008 internal diffs gears did occassionally fail/break. The diffs were redesigned early in 2008 and I have not heard of anyone suffering any issues with them.

I have the pre 2008 diffs in my three MCDs and have never suffered any failures. Normally the failures occur due to poor maintenance rather than defective parts.

The grub/set screws on the diff output cups most be kept tightened (threadlocked as well) because if they work loose the output shaft gear will eventually move inwards locking the diff and if it happens at speed the gears will fail!!!!!

Clive

I just purchased the redesigned gears....I hope they fit straight in.

They are freaken expensive.

Thanks heaps for the advise....I reckon that is what happened to the rear diffs as the out drive cups were loose.

However...the front ones were tight. :confused: and full of grease...

Do people usually put grease on the outside, or run these dry?

I found the front full of grease outside but the rear to be dry.

thanks for reply.

I just purchased the redesigned gears....I hope they fit straight in.

They are freaken expensive.

Thanks heaps for the advise....I reckon that is what happened to the rear diffs as the out drive cups were loose.

However...the front ones were tight. :confused: and full of grease...

Do people usually put grease on the outside, or run these dry?

I found the front full of grease outside but the rear to be dry.

thanks for reply.
Grease the crown and pinion, and grease the plannetary gears.

The diff gears, crown, Pinion, pins, side gears, and case are different from the EVO II to the EVO III. If you want to upgrade the diff to the EVO III, all you can do is buy a compleat EVO III diff and crown and pinion, unfortunately it all has to be changed.

MCD translated to english $$$. lol They are a cool RC, but very expensive to play with.

Grease the crown and pinion, and grease the plannetary gears.

The diff gears, crown, Pinion, pins, side gears, and case are different from the EVO II to the EVO III. If you want to upgrade the diff to the EVO III, all you can do is buy a compleat EVO III diff and crown and pinion, unfortunately it all has to be changed.

MCD translated to english $$$. lol They are a cool RC, but very expensive to play with.

I got the 2008 ones...front and rear diffs....but I don't think it includes pinions.

I might pull the planetary gears out and shove them in my old set.....there's no problem with the ring and pinion gears at all. They are heavy duty for sure.

I just hope the 2008 holds up better inside.

I was also wondering....Could using the FG stadium tires cause too much torsional stress to the diffs...as they sit out very wide, compared to the stock race runner tractor tires?

FG Stadium tires? Hostile slicks provide better traction in gravel. lol Good luck with your mods.

They do OK...The main thing is they don't wear too quickly and they sit wide...A lot of people must use them, they are sold out everywhere.

You got me worried about the DIFFS for a minute there Clubin....I got them today and they don't look much different....I reckon they probably just tempered the steel a bit better.

They have the same gear pattern and my old pinions will mesh perfectly with the new 2008 set.

:celebrate: .....I'm just happy I can put it back together again when I get sometime soon.

mcddiffs.jpg

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks