Can’t seem to get my baja started

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Time to get serious . Pull the plug out and connect it to the spark plug wire . Do you get a nice fat blue spark when you pull it over (make sure the plug is grounded to the chassis). Could be the coils on its way out .

Could also be that the ring is very worn and the topend of the motor needs to be rebuilt.

You might want to take the carb off and remove the top plate and have a good look at the diaphragm depending on oh how old the carb is the the diaphragm could be leaking vacuum. Kind of doubt it if the engine flooded on you when you were trying to start it .

Time to get serious . Pull the plug out and connect it to the spark plug wire . Do you get a nice fat blue spark when you pull it over (make sure the plug is grounded to the chassis). Could be the coils on its way out .

Could also be that the ring is very worn and the topend of the motor needs to be rebuilt.

You might want to take the carb off and remove the top plate and have a good look at the diaphragm depending on oh how old the carb is the the diaphragm could be leaking vacuum. Kind of doubt it if the engine flooded on you when you were trying to start it .

Yeah the plug has a good spark. Brand new plug. And I’ll have to take the carb off again just to have a look see.

Alright. Actually I just tried this cause I found it in another forum:

Remove plug
Whip engine over about 12 times very fast
Place 3-4 drops of straight 2 stroke oil down the plug hole
Turn engine over very slowly 4-5 times
Put a known good plug in
Choke off, throttle wide open and pull to start.
May take alot of pulls but it will go.
Once fired hold throttle open to clear out excess oil from the engine.

It started after like 3 pulls, ran for about 3-5 seconds and then stalled.
Not sure what to do now. Can’t get it started again!

Your gut tells you it’s flooded? It is !
The best way to in flood the engine is to disconnect the carb yes remove it from the engine let it lay back. Then with a new plug for a wtf moment pull the cord. It should run wide open due to amount of air it’s pulling in and that will quickly burn up the remaining fuel. It will only last about 3-5 seconds so no worries. Once burnt fuel is gone reconnect carb and begin as you should.
Prime 3 or 4x
Choke 2-3 soft pulls the. Switch to norm and pull another 1-3
If you continue to pull you will continue to push gas into engine..
Interesting to me side note: mixed fuel does not evaporate like straight gas. Duh!

Did you try re-setting the needles to the factory stock settings? Try the needles if you haven't reset them yet and see what that does.

When you put the 2 stroke oil in it helped to develop a seal with the piston ring . I'm suspecting that you're going to need to rebuild the top end of the engine or replace the engine . Someone else might chime in . Normally on a large engine you could do a compression test and see where it's at . I don't know if compression tests are normally done on small 2 stroke engines or even what the compression should be .

Last edited:
Did you try re-setting the needles to the factory stock settings? Try the needles if you haven't reset them yet and see what that does.

When you put the 2 stroke oil in it helped to develop a seal with the piston ring . I'm suspecting that you're going to need to rebuild the top end of the engine or replace the engine . Someone else might chime in . Normally on a large engine you could do a compression test and see where it's at . I don't know if compression tests are normally done on small 2 stroke engines or even what the compression should be .

Hmm interesting. I hope the piston is not the case. But I’ll check out my needles this morning. Try and get them back to stock position.

Alright! So I got it running!
I took the pullstart off and slapped a drill on the flywheel, turned it over super fast for a very long time, while trying to adjust the low speed and highspeed needle.

After about 2-3 hours of screwing around with this with the drill off and on, it eventually started and I was actually able to drive it around! I was also able to shut it down and use the pullstart to get it going again. Everything was good

Sooo 3 hours later I gave it another shot with just the pullstart. And it will not start. Not even close.

So here’s my thinking: after using the drill for such a long time, I think the engine got warm and the piston ring might have expanded, providing good compression.

But once cold, the piston ring is small and has crappy compression and will not start.

Does this sound about right guys? Should I replace the piston ring?

hi matey, well ive read your responses and they are all the same when I had the same problems,
but I had those problems with a new zenoah g320,
basically close high needle all way in then open 1 and 3/4 (turns)
and now low needle close all way in then open 3/4 a turn try and start as normal,
6 to 10 pulls if no luck turn low needle an 1/8 repeat pull starter keep repeating
till low needle is 1 3/4 turn out max , very small movements , all engines and carbs
can be fussy ,try that, or try carb rebuild kit get them on eBay pretty cheap, get yourself
brakes and parts cleaner (carb cleaner), take carb apart easy clean all pieces, take filter off
give yourself best chance starting till its sorted, be patient you will do it when you have it'll
be worth it, good luck

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks