Can I save Engine that has Spark Plug cross thread damage on the Cylinder thread??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you succeed in ripping out a timesert it wasn't installed correctly. Used them in everything from main bearing threads in 3500 cat engines to repairing the threads in the block of my cummins that the head studs go into. They are very robust and I've never seen one come out.
one reason more why i should have gone to helicoil... bro. ;)
You replied before I got the rest of my response in lol.

Keep in mind if you decide to go the DIY Helicoil method it's critical that you get the drilled hole and the special Helicoil tap perfectly perpendicular to your workpiece tapping surface. Equally as critical is maintaining perpendicularity as you rotate the tap into your workpiece. If you cock the tap and cross thread or damage the helicoil threads the insert will not install correctly and then your next option is spending more money on a Timesert . I've installed literally thousands of Helicoils, If you have a nice rigid drill press with a vice it's do-able with a few "tricks" but if your inexperienced and try to "wing" it by hand it's going to end up bad...

This sounds like more than its worth to fix feking threads on a throw away cylinder.... im sorry but Jesus christ you could have ordered and installed a new top end on the engine by now 🤦‍♂️.....moral of the story pick your battles and know when to just replace rather than fix

This sounds like more than its worth to fix feking threads on a throw away cylinder.... im sorry but Jesus christ you could have ordered and installed a new top end on the engine by now 🤦‍♂️.....moral of the story pick your battles and know when to just replace rather than fix

To me this sounds like a project for when I'm bored and looking for stuff to do.
Buy new cylinder/top end kit and rebuild to get up and running, no need to spend hours and hours on something that should of taken half hour.

I dnt wanna drag out this thread but i know what Im doing for my specific situation. Im getting it helicoil'd. Way cheaper than buying a whole top end for this engine for me at the moment.

Approx $200 vs $30

@pfrederi , I agree with @Rep732 to an extent but, I'm also all about saving money. If you already own or can borrow the tools needed, you can make the repair for the cost of a spark plug and avoid using a helicoil. Drill it and tap it with 12mm 1.25 pitch tap. Here are 12mm plugs with 1/2" reach that you can use if you choose this method of repair.
https://www.ngk.com/compareproducts

The DR8HS plug is one heat range cooler than standard and the DR6HS plug is one heat range hotter. NGK doesn't have a 7 heat range plug in that size.

Edit: First link doesn't work. Try this one.
https://www.ngk.com/search/reverseengineer?ptid=8&specs=165308,165312,165347,165434&p=true

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks