Choosing a tuned pipe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preacher

I have been doing some thinking about getting a tuned pipe for my KM. Right now I'm running the Thor pipe on my 30cc engine. In doing my research, there are all sorts of recommendations, but little "education" on tuned pipes that would include relevant information to make a good decision. Some of you on here are RC pro's and I would like for you to give some basic information on tuned pipes and how to choose the proper tuned pipe for particular applications (racing or bashing or street running). I have managed to find that some tuned pipes provide low end torque but don't do much for top end, and that some will make the top end scream, but don't to much for low end torque. Are these extremes the only thing to look at, or are there "hybrid" pipes that provide a boost through the entire power band? Is there hype surrounding the performance of some pipes? What are the potential trade-offs between a stock pipe or can and a tuned pipe?

id say don't buy a x- can, a waste of money,,, all two stroke engines run the same way,, and pipes are no different,, depending how they are built will depend on the power they make and where they make it,, my jetpro v3 is a mid to high pipe, screams up high,, but has little bottom end, on lighter buggy ok, but on a truck,,, very doggish,, just installed a model logic 5t side pipe, its made by bartolone who makes the torpedo,,,, this pipe is similar,, running 17/57 with a 19 tooth drive gear,,, would spin buggy tires and proline trenchers on demand on pavement,,,,, if had slicks would do wheelies im sure,, and revs really good, not as high as jetpro I don't think,, but llow end is finally there,, anyways it really depends on what u wanna do, how much it weighs, etc , if u gonna flat track it or want a screaming top end but sacrificing some low end,,,, get a mid to high pipe,, jetpro v3,, a vrc pro pipe,, ,, u want low , bartolone torpedo,, the model logic,, a vrc big bore,, these are examples,, I don't think there really is just one pipe for every application,, its all give and take,, look at how many pipes are out there for motorcross bikes and snowmobiles,,,

Last edited:
Right now, I'm running the stock KM Thor pipe which I'm imagining is not the best. I rarely get my buggy up to top speed, so low end grunt would be more my style, although I will probably purchase more than one pipe as time goes by.

I would recommend saving some more money up and getting a new motor first. The km's have a history of dying after 10 or so tanks. Say a good tuned pipe cost 180.00 you can get a full mod rcmk 30.5 7.5hp gizmotor for less than 350.00 way more bang for the buck and you are gonna have to replace the KM typically sooner rather than later. Just my 2 cents.

Not true at all I have 3 KM I have had over 3 years and never had a motor problem. Way over 10 tanks even more then 10 gallons of gas threw them One I have just had the top end rebuilt and it was still in great shape.

My winter project is to build another order a long block from OBR and also their 2 speed tranny. I just keep reading about tuned pipes and their advantages. I'm pretty sure that a more powerful motor will be served better by a good pipe.

I have been doing some thinking about getting a tuned pipe for my KM. Right now I'm running the Thor pipe on my 30cc engine. In doing my research, there are all sorts of recommendations, but little "education" on tuned pipes that would include relevant information to make a good decision. Some of you on here are RC pro's and I would like for you to give some basic information on tuned pipes and how to choose the proper tuned pipe for particular applications (racing or bashing or street running). I have managed to find that some tuned pipes provide low end torque but don't do much for top end, and that some will make the top end scream, but don't to much for low end torque. Are these extremes the only thing to look at, or are there "hybrid" pipes that provide a boost through the entire power band? Is there hype surrounding the performance of some pipes? What are the potential trade-offs between a stock pipe or can and a tuned pipe?

I agree not enuff info out there. Too bad someone who did not manufacture pipes (IE neutral party) with a dyno would test them all and do a write up on exactly what was what.

I actually just ordered the thor tuned pipe. The cpi,s are well liked and while the thor isnt going to be quite as good, it should give me a feel for the pipe. I also have the dragon pipe, again because I want to get an idea of what the predator pipe is like.Pipes are pricey and trying a few knockoffs is a good way to test the waters without going broke. Pipes are a tricky thing because they wont work the same on every single engine set up. Its very hard to build a pipe that will work through the entire power band.Pretty much all will fall short in one area or another. Too me the v2 predator pipe looks like it has a fairly wide power curve(based on the graphs they published) and OBR claims their dual bleed jet pro does as well. Personally i thinks it the worst looking pipe going and would never put it on my car but everyone is different.Do you have a budget, have you narrowed it down to any you have looked at?

I also had the thor pipe on my KM then switched to a Dominator V2 , I picked up 3mph , bottom mid & top end all around awsome pipe .

I also had the thor pipe on my KM then switched to a Dominator V2 , I picked up 3mph , bottom mid & top end all around awsome pipe .

Interesting. The dom sure has a lot of fans. I will try it someday. Is your silenced or not? I have three motors and two pipes to try before I,m thinking about a dom so it wont be anytime soon. One thing I can say for the thor, its built like a tank. I think you could drop it from a high rise and not dent it:lol:

Many good options in pipes.
Another thing to look at and be aware of is - How well they are protected from damage due to crashes.
I have many options of pipes, and I prefer rear mounted pipes myself, but do have a few side mounts as well.
On the cars I am running currently I have a CPI on one of them and a GBE Hornet on the other.
I also have some JetPro pipes, and Samba too.
It is all in what you want.
The upgraded engine is a Very good place to start, and if you want low end torque, and don't wory about top end as much, the GBE Hornet is a Great pipe too.

GBE-
DSCF6217_zpsxld4a2hn.jpg

DSCF6210_zpshvj60ss5.jpg

CPI-
DSCF6176_zpsjbwmqywy.jpg

DSCF6179_zpsjtkc60wy.jpg

I have some pipes on eBay for sale. Supersapperdaddy is my username. The dominator style pipe has good low and mid power. It will give you good acceleration and is well protected. I would also suggest 18/56 gearing. Still have good acceleration will a little more top speed.

The OE manufacturer of that model was White Sox engineering, and it required their rear upper shock mount to move the shocks out farther.
I don't like the contact it makes with your shocks, as that will definitely cause problems.
Your engine idle seems quite high too.
This is definitely not a very performance oriented design.
Cool, definitely so though !

Here are some examples:

pot_do10.jpg

photo-3341-e1b9fae1.jpg

WSE_-_Double_Exhaust_System.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

I can't recommend a rear mount Jetpro highly enough.
Performance all round is insane.
I've been told that the DDM rear mount Dom is similar performance but I have no experience of it personally.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks