Coleman Fuel?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rc_man1

I now this may have been asked many times, but I have to ask the question. Today while shopping I found some Coleman Eco Clean camping Fuel.. Also i'm a military guy stationed in Japan and I can not find the normal can of Coleman's Fuel.. Now for the Question... I found this Eco Friendly Coleman fuel and I think it is the same just labeled different here in Japan? The bad thing is if it's that than it will cost me $36.41USD for a 4L (1 gal) can.. But my Nitro cars where over $80.00USD a gallon.... Does anyone about this gas?

Thanks
Mike

you ll want to check it out to see what additives are in it. i know most colemans is 100% naptha, but not all.

i would visit colemans website and see what info is avail on the stuff you have. if it is the same stuff, just in a different can, then it should work fine, but i doubt that is the case. i would be highly shocked if it WAS the same stuff.

camp fuel is around 50-55 octane, its horrible to run in our engines. the minimum octane rating for a cy/zenoah is 87. just go to a gas station and get gas, it'll likely be 95+ octane as they use a different rating outside north america.

I agree with Sharkey! Too low of octane and too expensive! Hard to hear spark knock in a 2 stroke, but it is knocking like hell in there... Buy a gallon of gas and call it a day.

Just found out it's 100% White Gas :) I found out it's the same just labeled different here in Japan.. I would rather pay the cost for white gas than for pumped gas due to the smell and my youngest son can not be around pumped gas.. Plus when I use to fly big gas motor's on my 1/4 scale planes in the USA I always used white gas and I never noticed the difference in performaces. Thanks for all the help guys.

Mike

alot of guys run it, even with the low 55 octane rating. most have absolutly no issues doing so. our motors turn over so fast, pre detonation of the lower octane is un likely. best guess is their just isnt enough time for it to really occure.

mix the same as you would reg gas, 25:1 ratio (5.2 oz of oil to one US gallon of fuel).
tuning is about the same too. only thing you have to watch is if you have a high compresion ratio, this can lead to higher running temps, which can then lead to predetonation occuring.

White gas fumes are no less dangerous then regular fuel. It is more or less fuel without additives. Still as dangerous for indoor storage. Just FYI.;)

White gas fumes are no less dangerous then regular fuel. It is more or less fuel without additives. Still as dangerous for indoor storage. Just FYI.;)

Correct, I'm not storing the fuel in the House nor will the buggy be stored in the house but when I work on it the buggy will come into the house for repairs due to the fact I do not have a garage I only have a storage shed. And my youngest son skin brakes out when or if he touches pumped gas.. So it's better for me just to use white gas (he's fine with it). Since my son does run the buggy with me.

Mike

Well Just ran a Liter of the Coleman Fuel thru the Buggy and it ran very clean and with a lot of power... Very Happy with the fuel. Plus the smell it not there like gas...

Been running Coleman fuel in my two FGs with Zenoahs, my Aquacraft V24 with a Fuji and my old ice auger (like 25 years old now) with a 33cc Tecumseh for over 6 years now, no issues. I mix it with Klotz at 40:1 for all of them. Same gas jug for all of them.

Makes it nice to work on them inside. No stink.

I use regular gas in my weedwhacker and leaf blower and mini tiller only because I use a LOT of gas in them and Coleman is pricey, plus those items stay in the garage, so the fumes bother no one.

If it's destroying the engines, then I guess in about six years, the wear hasn't appeared or affected the tune on any of the engines I own.

No chipped pistons from detonation, no overheating, no stalling, nothing. Back when I used the infrared temp gauge on them right after I switched, I noticed no major temp changes.

What I have noticed? Plugs last longer (uber clean), the fuel doesn't stink and the gas tanks and fuel lines stay clear and supple, don't turn brown and brittle.

I noticed no improvement in power though as some claim. Didn't notice a loss though either, stayed the same to me.

I switched only to eliminate the stink (store my big toys inside of course) and it worked.

Coleman 55 octane fuel has a lower flashpoint than gasoline. If you have a motor with 14:1 compression (our motors are 14:1) running on 55 octane, it's pre-igniting with any load exerted whatsoever. I never said anything about detonating... Two different animals..

I built a 13.50:1 Big Block Chevy for my 70 Nova back in the 90's and if I ran anything lower than Torco 110, the damn thing sounded like it had a handful of quarter drive sockets bouncing around under the valve covers... That was just at idle. Under a hard launch it sounded like a sand blaster.

If you've had good luck so far, great! Use what you like. I am just stating facts, Coleman fuel is 8 bux a gallon and it has a maximum of 55 octane. Any engine builder/porter will tell you to run a minimum of 87-92.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks