CY 29cc with billet head....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northwoodslivin

Hey guy's

Well I've got an FG Marder, it's got a CY 29cc motor with a stuffed 2mm stroker crank, race ported,piston, dome and has one of those billet heads on it. The person that I got it from said this was all put on it over the winter and has had 1.5 tanks run through it.

Well today I finally got around to getting to play with it for a bit as I needed to get a battery setup for it. Took it around the backyard and up and down the drive way a few times, noticed there was oil/fuel mixture coming from the head, lovely I said... brought it inside and all 4 of the damn head bolts we're loose. Ok, so I tightened em all up in an X pattern and cleaned off the oily gas, went out after dinner, drove it for about 10 minutes but a little harder this time, drove it over to me and noticed the effin head was leaking again, its leaking where the actual billet connects to the cylinder.. wtf? I guess these billet heads are sht? Anything I can do to fix this? :(
Here is a picture. I take it that this is very bad and shouldn't run the engine until this is fixed....:cool:
DSCF0192.gif
DSCF0193.gif

Last edited:
Is there a gasket between the cylinder and the head?
What condition is it in - maybe it's as simple as replacing this?

Other possibilities are perhaps 'X pattern' wasn't respected the first time it was run.
Perhaps it was run, with the loose head, obviously running lean, overheating and warping the cooling head .....
Start delving! Should be a simple fix.

Al.

Other possibilities are perhaps 'X pattern' wasn't respected the first time it was run.
Perhaps it was run, with the loose head, obviously running lean, overheating and warping the cooling head .....

Al.

I hope it is an easy fix! Guess I won't know until I take the head off, pretty sure there should be a gasket in there... if there isn't what would be ok to use? I doubt I could find such a gasket around here in Canada? :cool:

Al.

Also, the whole top end only has 1.5 tanks into it, and that was run in early spring when it was still cold out here. I don't know. I will go ahead and start pulling it apart and report back later on. If there isn't a gasket, could I use high temp RTV? just a question.... likely not huh.
Will report back later when I have it all apart :mad:

Not something I've done before.
I do know some have mentioned using high temperature exhaust / gasket sealent on the heads / exhaust manifolds (headers).

Use Search. There have been posts on this in the past.
Al.

Not something I've done before.
I do know some have mentioned using high temperature exhaust / gasket sealent on the heads / exhaust manifolds (headers).

Use Search. There have been posts on this in the past.
Al.

no loc tight on the head bolts ... heh I am tryin to get this head off. I know I should remove the pull start assembly and all that rukkus but I can't get the bottom right nut off :rolleyes: just no room to get a socket or anything in there, any thoughts? That piece on the top of the head is stuck in it.. I don't know what u call it, something to do with the ignition coil... am I gonna have to yank the whole motor?

Took the whole motor out... man that was a little task in it's self. Took the head off, piston looks pretty clean, bore looks ok and the dome is in great shape. there appears to be a silverish metal gasket stuck to the cylinder.

Thoughts on making sure this baby doesn't leak again?

there is two straight line scratches on the right hand side of the motor "fly wheel side" and most of the the bore isn't shiny... looks like this motor was run for more then 1.5 tanks...yeah.......

The base of the cylinder, the shiny aluminum part there is a bend in it. I will try and take a picture.

Last edited:
just noticed after taking the copper ring gasket off of the billet cylinder head, you know the hole where the bolt goes into to hold the ignition coil to the head? well it looks like the bolt pushed some of the dome in to make an out dent, that is probably where the leak started to come from... i'll take a picture

looks like you need to get a new head and piston,
as for run time the dome is actually pretty clean you got some vanish on the piston a lil on the dome, but i can see that coming from the 1.5 tanks, i have seen these after 4 tanks and they look like they been thru hell and back.
just looks like the coil bolts pushed thru and trashed the cylinder and possibly the piston

i tried one of these a couple of years ago and had the same problem
The ring that the coloured head bolts on to is not cast as part of the engine, it screws on to some large threads. If the compression is too high it will pull this ring over the threads, just enough to stop engine running properly
billethead.jpg

Last edited:
looks like you need to get a new head and piston,
as for run time the dome is actually pretty clean you got some vanish on the piston a lil on the dome, but i can see that coming from the 1.5 tanks, i have seen these after 4 tanks and they look like they been thru hell and back.
just looks like the coil bolts pushed thru and trashed the cylinder and possibly the piston

Yep, that is exactly what happened... I am just wondering if he used the wrong coil bolts. It pushed in the dome material and caused some major rukkus! Going to need a new cylinder as well, see the two bad scratches? that is right where the ignition coil bolt hole bolt pushed in the dome material. I am pretty sure he is making good on this and buying me a new top end.
Will keep you all posted on my progress :cool:

Going with a CY 35mm big bore cylinder for the +2mm stroker crank, not messing with this billet garbage no longer. The person bought me a new top end with piston and all that,so I am pretty happy with all of this. And it should have much better cooling with the CY 35mm big bore head :)

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks