DBXL 2.0 DBXL 2.0 gas tank leak

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rajul

Really disappointed that the gas tank is leaking while I have been not been able to even start the engine. Not sure if it is worth the while to claim a warranty replacement from Horizon since the quality is so bad that even a new replacement tank might leak again. Does anyone know if the gas tank from DGI is compatible with the DBXL 2.0 https://www.dgiracing.com/larger-tank-for-losi-dbxl/ ? Thanks for any inputs

where is it leaking from mate?
grommet, cap or the seam on the tank?
if its the seam then yeh claim under warranty, you may just have got unlucky and got a bad one,

There is a hole near the bottom of the tank which was plugged with some material which softened and dissolved in gas. Most likely this hole is the injection molding port. IMO, it will be easier if I just plug up this hole myself as any replacement tank might come with the same hole and eventually leak again. Any suggestions how to plug this hole?
IMG_6382.jpg

I used a flat headed screw with a washer, applied hot glue over the screw thread and hole, and sealed the hole. Let’s see if this holds up. It’s a non-pressurized tank, so it might hold

My previous repair using a screw and hot glue did not last very long. It was just after two tanks, the hot glue dissolved and the leak started again. I found that the best way to repair the hole is by using a welding technique with a soldering iron with a flat tip, and using the same type of plastic from an old unused fuel tank as a filler. You could find videos of this technique such as this one
The attached photos show the repaired hole, and the fillers I cut out from the old tank.

Btw, I will keep the replacement tank I received from Horizon as a spare, in case the weld repair gives way, but it's holding up pretty well

Attachments

• IMG_6546.jpg
    IMG_6546.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6547.jpg
    IMG_6547.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 15
Horizon's quality continually gets worse with every product they sell. It's become a bit of a joke at this point; I 100% expect any product I purchase to have a handful of issues, and require at least 1 call to Horizon for replacement which typically isn't really any better that the original and sometimes worse. The only thing worth calling them for is missing parts IMO.

I've sworn up and down this is the last Horizon product I'll ever purchase at least a couple times. This time it's for sure the last straw as the number of products they have I'd be interested in continues to dwindle. Oh well ... rant over :) lol ... I had the same issue with the tank. The melting plastic is spot-on and great advice for fixing the leak, I did it this way myself. Luckily, the drivetrain wasn't smooth so I decided to strip the entire buggy and re-assemble it properly ... and lucky I did, as the 2nd tank of gas sitting in the tank was just about to burst. I pulled the engine and tank, and just touched the spot on the tank with my thumb and it immediately opened up.

So why is this Hole here? I just ran my truck today and i only ran 5 minutes at my club then it was hot so i put it in the truck got it out at home and fired it up started making passes in the yard and it died i looked and it was out of gas im like WHAT did it really use that much gas just cause i was making lot of Full throttle passes today. So i started to fill it back up and i started seeing gas all over my frame. so took off the body and seen the tank was almost emty i got the tank off and see the same hole this guy had in his.
Is there a replacement tank that doesn't have this issue?? Sucks cause the truck is a few months old but only had 3 full tanks ran in it.

Thanks

Really disappointed that the gas tank is leaking while I have been not been able to even start the engine. Not sure if it is worth the while to claim a warranty replacement from Horizon since the quality is so bad that even a new replacement tank might leak again. Does anyone know if the gas tank from DGI is compatible with the DBXL 2.0 https://www.dgiracing.com/larger-tank-for-losi-dbxl/ ? Thanks for any inputs
i took the plastic from a gallon of milk container cut it into inch square and use a torch carefully melting the plastic and one onto another creating a seal

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks