Register and gain access to Discussions, Reviews, Tech Tips, How to Articles, and much more - on the largest Large Scale RC community for RC enthusiasts that covers all aspects of the Large Scale RC!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

DBXL-E High speed gearing

Discussion in 'Losi Desert Buggy XL' started by modojojo, Oct 8, 2017.

1. modojojo

modojojo New Member

Hi all, just got my DBXL-E and have some upgrades coming in the mail. I'm looking for high speed gearing options. I know the company DGI makes gears for the DBXL, are they compatible with the E? Are there any other companies that may make gears that fit the E

2. MGP

MGP Active Member

DGI is for the gas version won't fit the Brushless motor.
    RC Monster make the strongest gears for the Brushless 8mm shaft 1.5mod pitch

3. Timbo

Timbo Member

Just changed the pinion on motor will be easiest option, ok if you want to do some speed runs but remember you will kill your run times !
    There pretty quick out of box so may be happy as it is :)

4. MGP

MGP Active Member

Just like Timbo said they are quick and pretty nuts out of the box there is really no need to change pinions. Also along with less run times you have that chance of over heating your motor and esc.
    The batteries that my freind runs in his are out of stock at the moment. SMC 4s 8000mah 90c constant
    I run SMC 4s 9200mah 90c constant in my 5T but these don't fit in the DBXLE.

5. modojojo

modojojo New Member

I just wanna make sure I blow my friends 5B out of the water, I already ordered a mgm esc with a Lehner 3060/8 and 12s ( 2 turnigy 5000mah 6S batteries. I found that Kershaw makes 8mm mod 1.5 pinions from 9T up to 22T then they have a 26T. I may experiment.

6. Timbo

Timbo Member

Blimey what motor is your mate running in 5B ? the std 'e' car would beat a std 5B petrol anyway ! you will make it crazy quick but your run times will suffer for it, on 12s nothing should be anywhere near it ;) mind you don't blow tyres off the rims ! keep us posted

7. MGP

MGP Active Member

Go to RC Monster they have the best pinions on the market ask me how I know

8. Timbo

Timbo Member

Don't order a pinion until you have run in on 12s ! top speed will be crazy anyway, with brushless the higher the voltage the higher the RPM

RPM is volts x kv rating on motor. 8s = 33volts x 700kv motor ( example ) = 23100 rpm / 12s = 50volts x 700kv motor = 35280 rpm

Thats massive rpm increase, what kv is std motor against new one ?

9. modojojo

modojojo New Member

Yeah I'm going try out the stock pinion first. The Lehner 3060/8 winds = 875kv the motor and mgm 25063-3 x series Esc can handle up to 15S

Esc specs are
    Max RPMs
    Max. peak current (peak 5 sec.)
    360 [ A ]
    Max. continuous current (for full throttle)
    250 [ A ]
    Number of Li-Pol, Li-Ion feeding cells
    4 - 15

Here's a Video of the same motor speed controller combo I ordered he's using 14S instead of 12s:
    This car has a Lehner 3060/8 motor and an MGM Compro controller, with two 7S MaxAmps batteries. Max full throttle power is 14.7 kW (20 hp) with max peak power at 21 kW (29 hp). Good to see the car Is sturdy.