Dbxl not kicking into second gear!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Naw, little bit of black tape good to go. Just something to keep the grease in
What? With that split, your planetary gears cannot be aligned. That's a time bomb...tick, tock... Fek it, tape it up and see how long it lasts. Hopefully when that spider gear goes shooting out it doesn't take anything with it, ie gas tank, spur gear, throttle servo, etc

But what would make it do that just a little bit of mud and puddles??? Also I keep seeing this 120608 Differential Spool (Losi DBXL/ MTXL / XL-E) Is this a upgrade I should really consider? and it seems like the CV Boot Losi 252017 Axle Boot Set 10 : 1:5 4wd DBXL is something that should have came with the truck out of the box in order to keep those pins in. Really!!! So far it seems as this truck is really just a POS right out the box for almost 900 bucks it is a "COMPLETE" let down. I have had RTR's for $300 that held-up better than this, I mean I haven't even gotten to the fifth tank of gas yet but I am determined not to let this truck's poor build quality stop me from turning this thing into a track worthy 1/5 scale. Something told me to go with that 5ive B buggy kit....I just didn't want another buggy, I have two 1/8 scale buggies already and I wanted my first 1/5 scale to be something different and I am not a fan of the stadium truck look (Just reminds me too much of the Traxxas slayer or slash trucks....Too common!) but from what I have been hearing around town and the internet is those 5ive T model have a far better build quality. I really like the way this truck looks and this is what I already have so I guess I will have to strengthen all of its weak points so I can make it a track monster and a bashing beast. Sorry for my ramblings Ugh!...Is there anything else I should look into to strengthen the build quality of this truck?

I've got an extra set of flms...

Sorry, noob question. What are flms?
Had to be a bearing failure, to cause that, I would think. The stock bearings are junk imo.

What bearings do you think caused this? The bearings on the diff itself?

Last edited:
Its not a pos. Many of us have them and enjoy them. Be sure to tighten down hardware religiously, use locktite. These things are big, and vibrate like hell. Before I crashed last week I made it around a year with no breakdowns. Im yet to see a 1/5 that doesn't have a hiccup now and then. Even the so called reliable ones suffer it. If you get a new diff, get the dbxle one. Its alloy.

Yeah, 1/5 rtr isnt really an rtr. And at $900.00 you got the cheapest name brand you could get. The dbxl is known for tossing pins. The boots wont help that. They will keep the pins from wearing as you can grease them. Lockers are bad mojo. You can go off the manual for size and get a decent bearings off eaby or a local bearing supplier. Or get the fast Eddy bearings. Go get some 500k + diff fluid for it. And really I've had my dbxl going 6 years, and bought it used with very little mods to it. It's been decent. Flm= fast lane machine. They make drive shafts and arms for Rc's.
And the water and mud had nothing to do with the issue. The pins just come out if not loctited on. This is a very normal dbxl issue. The diff isnt. That's an oops. And +1 on the dbxl e.

Last edited:
Yeah, 1/5 rtr isnt really an rtr. And at $900.00 you got the cheapest name brand you could get. The dbxl is known for tossing pins. The boots wont help that. They will keep the pins from wearing as you can grease them. Lockers are bad mojo. You can go off the manual for size and get a decent bearings off eaby or a local bearing supplier. Or get the fast Eddy bearings. Go get some 500k + diff fluid for it. And really I've had my dbxl going 6 years, and bought it used with very little mods to it. It's been decent. Flm= fast lane machine. They make drive shafts and arms for Rc's.
And the water and mud had nothing to do with the issue. The pins just come out if not loctited on. This is a very normal dbxl issue. The diff isnt. That's an oops. And +1 on the dbxl e.

Sorry if it hurts y’all feelings but my DBXL was a POS right out the box....the first issue was the rx battery wouldn’t hold a charge the company had to replace it...didn’t complain then maybe I should have but the steering servo is starting to fade...before the third tank of gas...knew I was gone upgrade it so I can use a li po rx battery but it should be of better quality....the pinion gear kept backing out until I put loctite all over it NOW the diff housing is split open just ordered another one....not to mention it came with a weak ass 23cc motor just trying to figure out why it costs so much...it was practically falling apart out the box forget ready to run...they should just made it better and charged the 1400 like the 5T this is basically a 70% finished kit that needs upgrades out the box....I’m sure I will have it for a long time but if I was them LOSI I would have not released a entry level truck/buggy with this many defects this will make people sale this thing and buy another brand....everybody is not as determined as me to make this thing what it is supposed to be....this type of thing will make a lazy person or a person that just wants to play go electric...just my opinion and soon I know it will work out because to fix any problem like this you just throw money at it until you get what you want had it for almost a year and only played with it a handful of times....not worth $900 in my eyes and I do wish I would’ve gotten one used because that would’ve been a better bargain...and probably better sorted out than what the Company sold as RTR....just my two cents...didn’t really mean to offend anyone but this has been my experience with this product.

Last edited:
Sorry if it hurts y’all feelings but my DBXL was a POS right out the box....the first issue was the rx battery wouldn’t hold a charge the company had to replace it...didn’t complain then maybe I should have but the steering servo is starting to fade...before the third tank of gas...knew I was gone upgrade it so I can use a li po rx battery but it should be of better quality....the pinion gear kept backing out until I put loctite all over it NOW the diff housing is split open just ordered another one....not to mention it came with a weak ass 23cc motor just trying to figure out why it costs so much...it was practically falling apart out the box forget ready to run...they should just made it better and charged the 1400 like the 5T this is basically a 70% finished kit that needs upgrades out the box....I’m sure I will have it for a long time but if I was them LOSI I would have not released a entry level truck/buggy with this many defects this will make people sale this thing and buy another brand....everybody is not as determined as me to make this thing what it is supposed to be....this type of thing will make a lazy person or a person that just wants to play go electric...just my opinion and soon I know it will work out because to fix any problem like this you just throw money at it until you get what you want had it for almost a year and only played with it a handful of times....not worth $900 in my eyes and I do wish I would’ve gotten one used because that would’ve been a better bargain...and probably better sorted out than what the Company sold as RTR....just my two cents...didn’t really mean to offend anyone but this has been my experience with this product.
losi ...?.didn't /don't make the dbxl ?but yeah i hear ya as i sold my dbxl fora 5ive...?..and so glad i did?....there's a rcmk or rmck model xr1000 i thk? based off what the db should/could of been ?and its way better then the db is out the box?

You are right which is why im willing to deal but this so called “hobby” has changed a great deal over the years...trust me I get it but I just expected a better product for the money spent in the 80s or 90s they would have never released a product like this because they was still building their brand now they don’t care and just releasing stuff just to get you in typical corporate move of our time

You are right which is why im willing to deal but this so called “hobby” has changed a great deal over the years...trust me I get it but I just expected a better product for the money spent in the 80s or 90s they would have never released a product like this because they was still building their brand now they don’t care and just releasing stuff just to get you in typical corporate move of our time

Save the drama fo yo mama. Quite a few of us own this car, and others have at some point. The issues you describe are common failures in rtr rigs. If you had expectations of something else, thats not the dbxl's problem. Its not the best 1/5 but far from the worst and cheap compared to most. If tinkering on your rig isn't enjoyable, 1/5 probably isnt for you.
they know the masses will buy what ever they put out.... :rolleyes: ..weather it b a good product or not?
Thats a platform wide issue imo though. All my 1/5 have required a good bit of attention to keep in running order. Im really not seeing the dbxl as unreliable junk compared to other offerings. This forum is full of threads about messed up 1/5 scales and the people seeking help to fix them. Its mostly the same generic problems that plague them all.?‍♂️

Last edited:
Yall missing the point l don't mind fixing it imo it was just too soon to be fixing it not after the third tank can I get at least five tanks before the diff is busted it seems as you guys are willing to settle for anything and caulk it up to the “hobby life” yeah im into the hobby and all but I would like to have some fun driving the thing before I have to buy critical components for operation....no drama just facts anyways yall have been a big help and thanks for it I really appreciate the love!

You got a lemon mate. Everything should be covered under warranty. I'll not stand here and say my dbxl was a cake walk at first. (And I bought it used) stock servos are crap. don't seem to matter the model. The pin thing is frustrating, I would have thought by now it would have been sorted. But no. Does seem the got the shocks sorted out now though. Being in the hobby for a long time (as you have been) I understand your angst. Rest assured it will be a very good rig once its sorted.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks