Dbxl not kicking into second gear!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PHillary

Not sure if it has a second gear!!! Lol! But it runs just slow as hell...what could be some things to check out...I did a little bit of investigation and I see feel goo at the top of the battery box...could the center diff be leaking?

I took it out one day after it had rained it ran almost going through puddles jumping wet ditches then the fun came to a screeching halt well not completely but it wont go over lets say 5mph....

what could be wrong have any of you been through this...nice truck just built poorly it will be a champ once I’m done just feel like its a diamond n the ruff ya know!

Welcome to the dbxl club.... no second gear, mate. Clutch may be slipping from getting wet. Diff could be leaking, could have kicked a center drive pin. Really will have to go over the drivetrain a bit and see what's out of whack. They are quite enjoyable rigs once sorted.

Clearly a pin issue...check that first
Nah, he was playing in puddles, with my guess, nothing but the stock k&n filter. Thats a guaranteed boggy run withing minutes.
Forgot the other parts. The goo is from the stock exhaust can. Drill a few inch hole in the side to eliminate some of it, better exhaust to fix it proper. Lots of dbxl owners here to help.

Last edited:
I'm really no help to be honest. I had parts before the truck even showed up.

However...didn't know they run bad wet. I did once submerge mine way deeper than I'd like to think about. It looked expensive when underwater lmao
You can run em in fairly wet conditions with prep. I dialectric greese the crap out of rx, and you need to seal up air filter as best you can. No outerwear and you'll be running like crap real quick. Even with one ive had it bog out after awhile.

I took it out again this morning and it appears one of the pins did come out, but I do not think that is the issue entirely but its a start. I already ordered a center diff because mines also appear to be busted I can see metal coming through on one side (the side facing the rear of the buggy) I believe once I remedy these two issues it should start behaving normal again...This is my first 5th scale and for the life of me I cannot figure why they didn't make the dog bones solid instead of having to put pins in it weird??? are they any that come in one piece? Should I loctite them in when I get the new ones? Thanks again for all of your help.

Attachments

• IMG_1493.JPG
    IMG_1493.JPG
    178.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1494.JPG
    IMG_1494.JPG
    215.6 KB · Views: 18
Those aren't dogbones, they're CV (Constant Velocity) joints. They're designed to reduce lash in the drive train, reducing wear and damage to the drive components under hard acceleration conditions, which is 99% of a 5th scale RC's life.

I'm sure someone out there, like Fast Lane Machining, makes a dogbone version.

And yes, threadlock like a mofo!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks