Dead motor ! ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzkill

Mad?scientist
Well I got the Rovan buggy today 32cc motors, checked stuff out all seemed ok , mixed my fuel 25:1 with a synthetic oil and ran it for about 20 min at an idle , all good , did that 2x's saw smoke so it was not lean.
then I ran it real easy in the drive way changing rpm;s all the time no full throttle ( I used to race 2 stroke karts so I know when a motor is right ) all good so far seemed fine , I did notice a slight hickup in it but no big deal .
I took it out back an opened it up just a little ran fine then it started laggin on throttle bad response , so I figured let me check the plug and see if it is fat or lean ( not much smoke ) I pulled the plug and it looked good , brown color no white ! , BUT when I pulled the plug the threads were crap !! I mean BAD I had broken threads in the plug threads ! WARNING so I used some WD40 to lube it slightly so it would not bind , started it up seemed ok ! and checked the tuning , the H speed was at 1 turn ! I pulled the plug again and it looked ok , put it back in and NO FIRE at all , checked spark all good NO FIRE , pulled plug put my finger in th eplug hole and pulled the starter NOTHING frickin no compression.
Toast , guess I gotta call them now and get a new one ????

Well I got the Rovan buggy today 32cc motors, checked stuff out all seemed ok , mixed my fuel 25:1 with a synthetic oil and ran it for about 20 min at an idle , all good , did that 2x's saw smoke so it was not lean.
then I ran it real easy in the drive way changing rpm;s all the time no full throttle ( I used to race 2 stroke karts so I know when a motor is right ) all good so far seemed fine , I did notice a slight hickup in it but no big deal .
I took it out back an opened it up just a little ran fine then it started laggin on throttle bad response , so I figured let me check the plug and see if it is fat or lean ( not much smoke ) I pulled the plug and it looked good , brown color no white ! , BUT when I pulled the plug the threads were crap !! I mean BAD I had broken threads in the plug threads ! WARNING so I used some WD40 to lube it slightly so it would not bind , started it up seemed ok ! and checked the tuning , the H speed was at 1 turn ! I pulled the plug again and it looked ok , put it back in and NO FIRE at all , checked spark all good NO FIRE , pulled plug put my finger in th eplug hole and pulled the starter NOTHING frickin no compression.
Toast , guess I gotta call them now and get a new one ????

Yea ,the threads on the plug hole isnt too good on these cheap engines ,they fit sloppy an you have to be real careful
on tightening them!...:unsure:

Unfortunately I've heard this story before.Contact them and get a replacement engine.
It's a matter of principle.
Ya I emailed them just now , with this posting , it was crap And I knew that was a possibility I deal with China alot and you take your chances , from what I have read they will take care of it , not my fault IMO

these damn things have more freakin parts than my real size touring car LOL !

Last edited:
Yea ,the threads on the plug hole isnt too good on these cheap engines ,they fit sloppy an you have to be real careful
on tightening them!...:unsure:
I noticed it was not tight when I first pulled it to check the burn condition , they need to just use a CHEAP anti-seize compound on them ! 100% improvement for threads

I just heard from ROvan they are sending a me a top end rebuild kit , I asked them to please check the threads first LOL ! anyhow that pretty good customer support for a knockoff company. heres pix of the piston , with locked up ring , metal on metal contact from the spark plug threads getting into the cylinder , also broken starter ! duhhh . No burn on the piston so not a lean condition.
Ok suggestions on a starter ??IMG_20200921_105607777.jpgIMG_20200921_110933843.jpgIMG_20200921_110941909.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am looking at the CY starter from DDM with new catch plate , why change the flywheel ? DAMN now that I am looking at the pawl how does that stay on ? it does not look like it is threaded ??

also a new filter the stock one is impossible to get on/off, this one, Spyder Competition Series Tall Stack Air Filter for HPI Baja 5B/5T/5SC

Last edited:
I am looking at the CY starter from DDM with new catch plate , why change the flywheel ? DAMN now that I am looking at the prawl how does that stay on ? it does not look like it is threaded ??

also a new filter the stock one is impossible to get on/off, this one, Spyder Competition Series Tall Stack Air Filter for HPI Baja 5B/5T/5SC
The flywheel you have has been modified for the prawl. The cy starter doesn't need the prawl. So you need a normal flywheel
This is all you need. Don't need to reuse that pawl or anythin
Pullstart
http://885035.shop.netsuite.com/s.nl?c=885035&n=1&it=A&id=12603

Flywheel
http://885035.shop.netsuite.com/s.nl?c=885035&n=1&it=A&id=1362
I am looking at the CY starter from DDM with new catch plate , why change the flywheel ? DAMN now that I am looking at the pawl how does that stay on ? it does not look like it is threaded ??

The stock filter will do fine. But if you REEAALLY want to change it , I have a ddm velocity stack and TGN easy clearence air filter with a tgn redneck (I oiled both the air filter and redneck, some do differently ) and I recommend it to anyone ?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks