Diff question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scruffy

OK so I know when you spin one wheel the other should spin in the opposite direction. My question is, if it only spins some of the time or not at the same speed, is my diff bad?

Yes, unless the spur gear is turning. The motion should come out somewhere. There is no way for it to slip unless it is broken.

Probably. It is a constant mesh system but the motion put in can come out a combination of ways.
You can test it. Hold the spur and turn a wheel. The other wheel MUST turn backwards then. There should be no grinding or catching. Turn both wheels and the ring gear should turn the spur gear.

LOL this is quite a common check on a 1/8th scale 4wd like my Savage X.

Probably. It is a constant mesh system but the motion put in can come out a combination of ways.
You can test it. Hold the spur and turn a wheel. The other wheel MUST turn backwards then. There should be no grinding or catching. Turn both wheels and the ring gear should turn the spur gear.
OK thanks. That's exactly how it is working. And everything feels smooth

HPI differentials are known for leaking fluid, which keeps the viscous assist from working well, so beware that they definitely require maintenance from time to time to keep the functioning well.

The heavier the oil the more you are going to "feel" the spider gears.
Is good to check, those diffs grenade badly. If I recall, I went 20K or something along those numbers. The factory recommendations is too thin for me.

Go for it.

The golden rule, for each hour of bashing, one hour of wrenching.

It does pay off to dedicate time to maintenance.

*fill up to the cross hairs...

Stock is 1,000 wt, and I like that, but many use 5,000 and like it too.
The heavier oil you use the more it will act like a posi rear end, and sometimes make the cars harder to drive on loose surfaces.

It goes from 1000 to 1000000 cSt. Is going from 1000 to 5000 really that big of a change?

You can purchase this through many hobby shops, but here is a link to a great place to buy large scale stuff as well.

http://www.largescalerc.com/losa5280-losisiliconedifffluid5000wt.aspx

Decent jump from 1,000 to 5,000, but you can go with whatever you wish to try.

I like my 1,000 wt, but heavier oils probably leak less, just due to thickness alone.
The oils still wear out and need changed though.
I change mine somewhere from 6 - 10 hours of run time.

On mine I use Factory Team Silicone oil 20K (#5456), and still has plenty of spin.

I am a faithful customer with the FT brand, and that includes shock oil as well.

There is no right or wrong diff oil, I have used this brand and so far works for me.

The Traxxas diff lube, 10k or 20k, tends to be thicker and more viscous than the same oil number category.

I use the Traxxas brand on the KM X2, it adheres to the diffs better than the other brands.

** I have not changed the oil on either ride since the first time I worked on the diffs.

Attachments

• 5456_diff oil.jpg
    5456_diff oil.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 4
  • trac9136.jpg
    trac9136.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 4
I've had my Baja for 17 months and I've never touched the diff. I was just wondering about a rebuild because last time I ran it was hard to keep in a straight line. Could have been the half worn out bowtie tires in grass

And I found some FT on eBay for 6.11 with free shipping so I went with that lol

I was referring to the guy who service the diff every 6 hrs.

Tires do make a difference, check to see if the bearings need servicing. Had a rear bearing that was bad pushing the car to the left. Opened it up, placed it in gasoline w some oil, marine lube and ready to go.

Thats about right for a FT bottle.

KM%20001%20Baja%204_zpstfcr8ouf.jpg

Servicing the diffs on the baja is a little bit challenging. I got more pictures in my Photobucket account.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks