Diff question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depending on how many hours of run time you have on the diffs., I can guarantee that the fluid is trashed if it is much more than 10 hours.
The heavier oil does not seen to seap out as bad as thinner does, so it might remain full, but it will be black, and look more like a grease than an oil.

Depending on how many hours of run time you have on the diffs., I can guarantee that the fluid is trashed if it is much more than 10 hours.
The heavier oil does not seen to seap out as bad as thinner does, so it might remain full, but it will be black, and look more like a grease than an oil.
I've got some 5k oil on the way. I'll tear into it and check everything out when it arrives. Shouldn't be more than a couple days

The price for a set of diff gears is a few bucks. I prefer to buy a set once or twice a year than changing diff oil every 6 hours (which adds up real quick). As long as HD gears are used or brand then should be no problem.

Yes, the diff oil turns black, but still provides the protection it needs. I just changed the center diff oil on the X2, has about 30 hours, black as tar, diffs are as good as new. Installed Losi brand right after the first mayhem when I purchased the RTR. Compared them w a brand new set, very minor wear. Thats just my opinion. This is no racer 5th scale, is for bashing and having fun. Took it for a spin this weekend and is a champ w the 30.5cc.

The oil was still super thick and stuck on the gears like glue, had to use gasoline to clean them up, only the gears. The o-ring was cleaned separately and good as well.
The baja is no different, and takes much less stress than the heavy X2 w its all time 4wd.

But you know, the more maintenance the better, and anything to make the trucks/bajas more reliable.

Last edited:
On .21 nitro engines got tired of buying rear backplate gaskets.

Super Glue Fix-All adhesive does the trick, costs only a buck at Dollar Tree. It dries as clear rubber, and is very easy to remove, clean. For a little extra protection, apply a thin coat of clear nail polish along the line where the two parts connect. Have not used it on the baja, only on the nitro engines, and those things pack a punch, and serious heat, so far no issues. Of course rtv sealant will work the same or much better...

835919.jpg

https://www.dollartree.com/Super-Glue-Fix-All-Adhesive-18-4-mL-Tubes/p170055/index.pro

No after installing the Hostile tires and dropping back to the 6k clutch spring my spinning out problem went away. I read somewhere about using the lower rpm clutch spring if your running a low end pipe. It said running an 8 or 9k clutch spring defeats the purpose of the low end pipe like the dominator. Says your lose some of the low end power the pipe creates in the 2 or 3k extra rpm it takes to engage the clutch. Makes sense if u think about it

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks