Do silencers increase top end

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teejay112

I have a 45cc engine and ddm dominator I recently put a silencer on it now the cars top end has a noticeable increase in power it just keeps acellerating with the front end trying to lift I always thought silencers stifled the engine and reduced power any input would be great because I'm baffled now
e127b02a0ebbb2524762a923b3304e29.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

All about gas expansion and scavenging on 2 strokes.
Someone with better knowledge on engines will chime in, but it could be its allowing the gas to be pulled from the engine more effeciently

All about gas expansion and scavenging on 2 strokes.
Someone with better knowledge on engines will chime in, but it could be its allowing the gas to be pulled from the engine more effeciently
Or may e an increase in back pressure but whatever it is I seem to have alot of mid to top end power

The Samba f1 pipe on my MCD has a large chamber with a small silencer on it. Allegedly it was also good for top end power. It might be that combo works best.

Who knows lol.

Does it still sound good?

Sounds good still yeah also seems to be a bit easier to tune

With out a dyno and data logging there is no real way to tell. Also with the many different pipes available it's tough to say if it's the silenced pipe that does it or just good design for top end power. If it works run it?

Exhaust design was always something i wanted to learn more about when i was in the Car tuning industry. Its such an art in the same way Intakes on cars make such a difference.
A guy that i used to work with who designed old F1 exhaust systems told me it was all about scavenging- two strokes especially. I think its finding the sweet spot of a exhaust/design/length that works with that engine, but as Seandonato said, you cant measure it so just use it lol!

When i run my stubbies on my sv1000 it feels like I've lost sum acceleration:(...but obv gain more noise:eek:...but when i run my proper length cans it feels alot more get up n go.....:p......so can/pipe length will affect power......well on me bikes it do(y)

This right here . I had the same experience with my GSXR . Had a shorty Yoshimura muffler on it . Love the sound much louder but it also seemed like I lost a little umph . I had a DB killer that I could put in the end of the muffler which added back pressure to the system . The bike loved it . Some engines just like a bit more back pressure than others.

Well that clears that up lol I like the 45cc sound but I like the power increase with the muffler even tho it sounds like a 29cc with a samba track pipe

https://vpexhaust.com/exhaust-back-pressure-a-myth/
I found this that explains far better what I was referring to about scavenging. It's not back pressure, but the exhaust's design that helps 'pull' the gas from the engine more effeciently which improves performance
Read that but it seems like it refers to a 4stroke maybe not backpressure as such but the extra 90° bend with the silencer on my exhaust whatever echo or resistance or pressure its producing is causing my engine to have a better mid to top end and a bit less wheelspin on acceleration while not taking away too much off the bottom end so I guess it all also depends on the individual engine tuning and setup what's good on mine might not be good on others and vice versa but looking forward to some more testing

So many contradictory write ups on the internet but I'll go with that one
e1eca3c6a3bf59799ae182a69da2e2d8.jpg

I customized my dominator pipe from my baja for my rampage mt. Basically just extended the length of the straight piece coming from the engine. I have an obr 30.5 5.5hp motor in it. Worked beter then i hoped for. Tones of bottom end and a really good top end to. Since it was a little loud and kinda echoed in through my neighborhood i put a silencer on it. As you can see in the pic it does a 180° turn into the silencer. When i did that i noticed a difference, it still had a good amount of bottom end power but not as much before but mid to top end was even better. And i had to retune. 20160330_093614.jpg

I customized my dominator pipe from my baja for my rampage mt. Basically just extended the length of the straight piece coming from the engine. I have an obr 30.5 5.5hp motor in it. Worked beter then i hoped for. Tones of bottom end and a really good top end to. Since it was a little loud and kinda echoed in through my neighborhood i put a silencer on it. As you can see in the pic it does a 180° turn into the silencer. When i did that i noticed a difference, it still had a good amount of bottom end power but not as much before but mid to top end was even better. And i had to retune. View attachment 49393
what cage is that?

I customized my dominator pipe from my baja for my rampage mt. Basically just extended the length of the straight piece coming from the engine. I have an obr 30.5 5.5hp motor in it. Worked beter then i hoped for. Tones of bottom end and a really good top end to. Since it was a little loud and kinda echoed in through my neighborhood i put a silencer on it. As you can see in the pic it does a 180° turn into the silencer. When i did that i noticed a difference, it still had a good amount of bottom end power but not as much before but mid to top end was even better. And i had to retune. View attachment 49393
Nice truck
So you had exactly the same result I did

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks