dog bones, and drive lines..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shayno

the other day I went to burn a tank of gas.. I lost a pin in the rear driveshaft and one in the front one.... they were red loctited in. I also noticed all 4 dog bones were bent..... Has anyone else had a problem like that? my rear diff also ate both output bearings... I do have a obr 30.5 prostock so I know theres a lot of hp on the drivetrain... I almost want to go back to a lesser hp motor if all im going to do is tear parts up.. and I was flat on loose dirt when these failures happened..

Bending all 4 axles is quite a feat. I've only bent one and it's been through some nasty tumbles off of some pretty big jumps during a race. These machines require constant attention to what's going on with them. Constant checking of each screw for tightness. After each run I'll check that those drive pins (that I also have red loc-tited in there) are still tight. Some say not to lube bearings, as the lube attracts more dirt, but I lube them with a silicon based lube for bearings ( the yellow and silver wd-40 can) every now and then. I replaced all the bearings in fear that they'd all be shot but only one of them was chewed up. The inner bearing on the front diff pinion shaft. Lubing that one isn't possible without pulling the gearbox apart so it had held up pretty well. Every other bearing was in usable condition and are now spares. I only use my buggy for racing and is pushed to its maximum every race. It's also inspected after every heat/race. Not torn down but just a general overlook.

I wish I could race! I don't really understand how they are all bent... Maybe they came that way as I've never had that hard of a impact. I'm going to sealed bearings. That should be a little better.

Big jumps or fast driving over ruts will bend them if the limiters are out of shocks
It lets the end of bones go to far in diff cup and bends them you hit bump or big jump

Last edited:
ive bent the back ones arfter doing cartwheels the metal seems a bit soft compared to my Baja so I reduced the droop on the back and not bent one since

I reduced the droop, I have as much preload as I can now. I have a bunch of new parts on the way, I will get it all fixed up and go from there. I wish horizon would have built the drivetrail at least 50% more beefy. I guess they want to sell parts though...

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks