Don't run the RB Innovations GT-V filter.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KurNorock

When I purchased this filter from DDM I thought I was buying a fabric filter than can be cleaned and oiled. But when I received it I noticed it was a paper filter instead of fabric. I confirmed with both DDM and RB that it should not be oiled and should be run dry.

So I did.

Even with an outerwears cover on it and after less than 1/2 a tank of gas, I pulled the side cover of the intake box only to see the inside of it caked thick with dirt. Also notice the choke valve caked with dirt.

20210115_165616.jpg

After that I took a look inside the filter itself only to see it also coated with a nice thick layer of dirt.

20210116_200801.jpg

I've emailed both RB Innovations and DDM to see what, if anything, they can/will do for me.

As far as I'm concerned, this product is so ineffective that it should be considered a scam. Who even knows how much life was robbed from my new G320RC engine due to this filter. I'm just glad I didn't run it any longer than I did.

Doesn't look like you lubed the seal? Sorry for your engine. :(
I did.

I inspected it carefully once I got it apart. The dirt did not enter through any seals, gaskets, or o-rings. It got it through the filter media. This is plainly obvious by the fact that the inside of the filter itself is so dirty. If the dust was getting in around the seal, the vacuum from the engine would pull it away from the filter.

Besides that, there are no instructions included with the setup, and there is no mention of lubing anything in the installation video from RB on YouTube.

So far my engine still runs fine. Lots of power, etc. I thankfully didn't run it long with that filter. But as I said, who knows if that 10 to 15 minutes has shortened the life of my engine or not.

Holy crap there a lot of failure points with that assembly. Just watched the video. $124.00 damn.
You should have gone with a Crazy Stu setup
The airbox itself is solid. Well machined and has tight tolerances. It mounts solidly and securely to the carb. The failure was not in the airbox. The failure was entirely in the filter media itself. As I said in my original post, I thought this was a fabric filter that needed oil. When I received it and found it to be paper, I was pretty annoyed at being mislead. Even if this filter actually worked, I would have to continually replace it as it can't be cleaned. You can only "blow it out with compressed air" (as I was told by DDM) so many times before you just have to buy a new one.

My main reason for buying this setup was the airbox that moves the filter away from the side of the vehicle, not the filter itself. If RB Innovations or DDM won't take this thing back for a refund I'm going to find a way to mount a different filter to the air intake box. A velocity stack will bolt right up to it so I do have options.

As far as the crazy stu setup goes, I was tempted, but I couldn't justify spending $120 on what is essentially just a radiator hose. That entire setup shouldn't cost more than $30-$40. But I guess if it works it works. If I do get a refund I will just tell them to ship me a Crazy Stu setup instead. The money is already spent after all.
Funny thing is I just got into a debate with a guy about these filters. Lol. I'll stick with my tr set up.
I'm pretty sure you are referring to me. That debate wasn't about these filters at all. It was about you not accepting that the stock filter can come off without "user error". Unless of course you are talking about some other air filter debate that I have not seen.
Air filters can be a serious point of failure in an engine so I would say to keep it as simple as possible.A foam 2 or 3 stage filter with an outerwears and it should be good to go.
That would be ideal. However I was looking specifically for a filter mounting system that was secure as I had issues with the stock filter coming off while running. I wanted something that mounted securely with bolts and relocated the filter away from the side of the body where collisions could knock it loose. In that goal I succeeded. Unfortunately the filter that came with it is total garbage.

Last edited:
Ahh looks just like when my engine got smoked from sand ingestion :ROFLMAO:.

Let's see pics of your piston and cylinder!
Its just a matter of time now till your engine shits the sheets and you may want to flush your engine if the damage isn't too bad

Ahh looks just like when my engine got smoked from sand ingestion :ROFLMAO:.

Let's see pics of your piston and cylinder!
Its just a matter of time now till your engine shits the sheets and you may want to flush your engine if the damage isn't too bad
I lost my original engine to dust ingestion when the stock filter kept falling off the carb. If I lose this brand new engine due to a crap filter I'm going to give up on gassers all together and do a brushless conversion.

I have a long history of bad luck with small RC engines. Every nitro engine I've had ran at 400+ degrees no matter how it was tuned. My first gas engine died to dust as explained, and this one seems to have been shipped with a faulty carburetor, possibly causing it to also run extremely hot, and now it has also eaten a bunch of dust. Zenoah is sending me a new carb in the mail, but my expectations are low.

Electric motors have always been good to me.

This filter is the same one on my lawnmower, my carb is clean and I just bang the filter on the ground when I feel a little guilty, and replace. Except for the fancy machined alum parts, its all plastic on my mower.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks