Doza28s Traxxas UDR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doza28

How strange that the two most active users on this forum section are only a couple of miles apart! Small world...

@jimbo1 suggested i started a build thread on my Udr as ive done a little bit to mine and i have a custom body in the pipeline.

Firstly, if youve not driven one of these trucks, youre missing out.

The scale detail and the engineering that has gone into it to make it perform like a Trophy Truck is very very impressive. There seems to be a general opinion that these trucks are pretty weak, yet if driven in the manner they were intended and not launched off massive jumps or bashed at a skate park, they are very durable. Some people have suffered with electrics failing which is a shame (namely the servo) but for the most part, this truck is brilliant and apart from a hose breaking off a Fire Extinguisher, everything is original on mine.

I bought mine in the summer of last year (being an early one, i had a Bluetooth module as a freebie in the box) so i had a good chance to do some running.
We are lucky in that just a few miles away is an old sandpit which is perfect for running the UDR. Its generally pretty good for all RC users. Its a crawlers heaven too with tree trunks and steep inclines to master.

The Led light kit was a must as soon as it came out. It isnt cheap, but the kit is very comprehensive and the control from the app to turn on the various modes and lights is very neat.

Ive added a few touches, mainly detailing the bits on the back of the truck as well as Tyre lettering.
The servo was also replaced straight away with a Savox 1256tg which was a drop in. Some people had complained about glitching due to the TSM. Even though i have the TSM turned off, i still bought a glitch buster.

Pics and a video below.

I have some bits in the post and i`m hoping to start doing the body this weekend, so ill keep the thread up to date as i go.

Hopefully @jimbo1 and i can get some running footage soon of them together ?

Last edited:
spot on write-up and info (y)

with the little run time I have had with this truck i can honestly say that the udr is like no other rc car I have had in the past. it brings a whole new rc experience that is good fun, which lets be honest that's the only reason we have these things in the first place is for fun!

it is not the perfect unicorn rc that does everything, but for what it was designed for it is truly awesome,

cant wait for the evenings to become lighter so I can run the truck after work.

cant wait for more updates mate. (y)

Last edited:
Love the tire lettering Doza. Beautiful truck.

All these UDR threads aren’t helping me hold back. I believe it’s decided that I need one.

You won't regret it, especially as the price has come down ?

I can't wait for the summer months so I can use it lol

Love the UDR! I really want one, it's just that I would get bored of it very quick because it is electric. Electric is just not my thing. But it is most certainly a beautiful truck!!
I quite like the fact its electric as it means i can stick it in the boot and run it if i`m out for a day with the Wife. I don't have to take a jerry can and my tool box with me lol.

I have to be honest. Its a bit gimmicy, but im kind of hoping Traxxas release a sound kit for it. I had it on the Slash and its quite amusing to have it turned on every now and then. Still not the same as a proper 2 stroke though.

So I've spent most of the day on the UDR.

the body has turned out pretty good for the most part. I'm not so keen on the colour, but it's the closest I could find to the real truck when it's in the light.

I painted the whole body orange on the inside, and then carefully trimmed the overspray film to then do the black area. I've not tried this before, but it worked quite well. I was meant to put a flat clear on the black areas, but in my haste to see what it would look like, pulled off the film only to immediately realise i needed it left on to do the flat clear... Ah well. The black is more of a satin. it'll do...

The decals are off ebay and are very nice quality. Pre cut too which has helped speed up the job.

Having studied lots of images, I re-did some of the detailing. The tyre lettering is actually meant to be blue and red, not white whilst the 'straps' on the fire extinguishers should be chrome, not black as I had them.

Overall pretty happy. I've not seen this livery done yet, so I might be the first. Hoping to get down the beach tomorrow for some 'true environment' shots

Last edited:
Wow that’s a good looking truck. Excellent work.

Thank you, ?
?
Looks amazing! Top job ?
I thought this truck looked good before!
At least now we will know who’s truck is who’s if we run at the same time ?

Cheers bud.
Yup lol.
Not sure I want to ruin this one though lol...
Mind you, a clear one is cheaper than a painted one.

If I do this body again, I think I'll go with the bright red. ?
Tempted to do a 'mckracken' rockstar one next

So I've spent most of the day on the UDR.

the body has turned out pretty good for the most part. I'm not so keen on the colour, but it's the closest I could find to the real truck when it's in the light.

I painted the whole body orange on the inside, and then carefully trimmed the overspray film to then do the black area. I've not tried this before, but it worked quite well. I was meant to put a flat clear on the black areas, but in my haste to see what it would look like, pulled off the film only to immediately realise i needed it left on to do the flat clear... Ah well. The black is more of a satin. it'll do...

The decals are off ebay and are very nice quality. Pre cut too which has helped speed up the job.

Having studied lots of images, I re-did some of the detailing. The tyre lettering is actually meant to be blue and red, not white whilst the 'straps' on the fire extinguishers should be chrome, not black as I had them.

Overall pretty happy. I've not seen this livery done yet, so I might be the first. Hoping to get down the beach tomorrow for some 'true environment' shots
View attachment 49818
View attachment 49819
View attachment 49820
Damn that looks amazing!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks