Drive shaft breakage - how to replace

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enzo3856

Newbie here again...
So we snapped a driveshaft on our used baja...
I have ordered some new ones from DDM and they come with outdrives... I am guessing the new shafts have pins that will not fit into the stock outdrives...
I already figured out how the outer ones come out... I am wondering about the inner ones (in the tranny)...
Do I have to take the whole tranny apart? or is there a quick way of swapping them?
I am getting the Fast Lane super duty drive shafts...
Any tip or tricks is appreciated... Also, if i need to open the diff I will need to replace the fluid... is this something i can find at NAPA or somewhere like it?

I’m not sure about the placement for the driveshaft, but I do know that you should not put any auto grease into your diff. Generally speaking the bigger the engine the thicker the fluid I would put in my center diff. Start off with about 30,000 weight, and work your way up. But don’t put auto oil or grease in your RC car. I would just start off with the stock weight and work you way up when you replace it after opening everything up.

You will need to take the transmission apart, there is no getting around that. If you need help getting stuff off/out you can always refer to the HPI manual or here. The diff will need silicone diff oil, I wouldn't put anything else in it. Like Mike says, 10k and up. I use 60k but probably overkill for a stock motor.

Thanks for the help...
I found a manual online... got the whole thing apart (great excuse for a deep clean)...
I am ready to put it all together BUT have another issue....

I bought the larger beefier dogbones with cups... On the wheel side, I noticed the cup plus boot is very tight in the hub carrier...
Should I:
a) shave the inside of the carrier so there is clearance between boot and carrier?
b) leave it as is and just let the boot wear down into place
c) forget the boot and just run the dogbone into the cup with no boot?

Thanks for the help...
I found a manual online... got the whole thing apart (great excuse for a deep clean)...
I am ready to put it all together BUT have another issue....

I bought the larger beefier dogbones with cups... On the wheel side, I noticed the cup plus boot is very tight in the hub carrier...
Should I:
a) shave the inside of the carrier so there is clearance between boot and carrier?
b) leave it as is and just let the boot wear down into place
c) forget the boot and just run the dogbone into the cup with no boot?
Shave it. That's what I did with my flm stuff ?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks