Elcon Fourtex

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thrasher

This is one sick little puppy. A planetary gear system?! I don't think I have ever seen that in RC before but it makes so much sense for large scale its stupid

https://www.elcon-models.nl/en/cars/1064-fourtex-4wd.html

I think my "I want one" just found a new placeholder. I want one of these things before anything else. I always wanted an Elcon and now I have finally found one that makes me giddy like a 10 y.o on christmas day.

Yeah they are on the pricey side but they are really something else. IMO this is the top of the line. RC's supercars. Increasingly in offroad both 2 and 4wd in Europe the race is between Elcom and MCD. All the others are now playing second fiddle. I don't think Elcon is that well known outside of racing circles. I wonder how they even have a business but maybe the audence is bigger than I thought.

Yeah you could get a couple of hop ups for a Losi for the money saved between the losi and even their cheapest model, nevermind this planetary gear wonder they just released. But take a look at it move in youtube vidoes. The thing seems so well balanced and the driver is clearly in total control. The weight distribution is second to none yada yada yada. Ok, they have good drivers but still...

...I WANT ONE. I am putting all the rest of mine up for sale which gets me like... a 10th of the way to a set of sparkling new wheels for the Elcon.

That chassis is some very interesting drivetrain engineering. Note the engine is configured to use both PTO and MAG side drivetrain power output . Planetary gears systems are extremely durable by design. However that being said, they also need premium carrier bearings to handle the increased radial loads. Planetary systems are more complex, thus more expensive than a traditional pinion/spur configuration. The only real downside I see in an RC application is gear ratio changes will be costly (you will need 2 sets for front and rear). Planetary systems are primarily used in auto transmissions. That chassis must also use twin clutches, and i'm wondering how the front and rear drive trains are synchronize. Both front are rear need to rotate at the exact same speed.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks