engine troubles!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mi16joe

i got my monster hummer last year some time, used it once broke steering servo it put it in the shed now 8 months on it wont start i got loads of spark compression seems to be there all seems to be normal as only used once but not sure why it wont start i was thinking about stripping down but don't really know what im looking at is there any trusted firm in the uk i can send the engine to to get it started and maybe few mods while im there or any other suggestions
thanks guys

You should be able to get it running with some help from us..

First off, Is the gas in the tank fresh or last years gas? You need fresh.
Prime the primer bulb until you have fuel in it. (don't worry, you can't over prime it)
Apply full choke and pull it until the motor "Pops"
turn off the choke and pull another 2-5 times... It should be running, if not, continue reading...

Still not running?
Pull the plug and flip the car over and yank the pull rope about 10-15 times. (Motor could be flooded)
Put the plug back in and pull the pull rope (NO CHOKE) If it fires or stumbles great... If not keep reading...

Still not running??
Pull the plug and make sure you are getting spark (I don't recommend doing this in the previous step because, if the motor was flooded and you are checking for spark, when you pull the rope it could send a fuel spray out of the plug hole and the get ignited by the plug (Whoosh, Big Flame) Follow me?

OK, Now check for spark, if you don't see a spark change the plug.
If you see a spark, make sure the spark is jumping the gap of the electrodes and not arcing to the head. If it's arcing it's ether because the plug isn't grounded very well or because the plug is fouled.
If the spark is REALLY bright yellowish-white, the plug is fouled (that one got me a few years ago) You are looking for a small blue spark.

These motors are not finicky at all, as long as you have spark and fuel.

Let us know if you need anymore help..

Trip..

hey trip nice one but still no good news fresh fuel. i followed your first steps no pops it just keeps turning over with no poppin choke or not. it seems to have alot of fuel in there as if it is flooded each and every time the spark is full and blue.?????

wo wo wo. it just stumbled then started then died now wont start again but wants to go i can feel it cos it seem to turn just a little more than the pull start i started as you said on first step but then it seem to be flooded so i turned it over give good few pulls put back on wheels plug in no choke and it fired then died now was just like it was maybe too much fuel not to sure what screw needle is for what

hi mi16 try taking the plug out pull it a few times not touching the throttle replace the plug, before starting put a few (2 / 3) drops of fuel directly into the carb put the choke on and pull that starter like u ain't had it for a while, worth a try...

if not its got to be a weak spark (try cleaning the coil pack)

Last edited:
hi trip no im afraid i didnt i don't know which screw is which to start turning i can see one close to the head and one close to the filter not sure what one does which or what it doe if you screw them in or let them out, i have also ordered a new plug just incase, hey the.hod how do i get to the coil pack is it behind the pullstart casing? thanks alot guys

the low speed needle is the one closest to the head. it should have a very small "L" stamped on the side.. keep in mind that when it floods it is ver difucult to unflood. if there is any fuel in the lower case it WONT start. also take the filter off if not already.. keep at it.. it will start. this has happened to me as as well..

my arm hurts ha ha ill keep at it thou cos it started yestoday i know its there just wont go god dame thing. wish someone would invent somesort of electric start thou ha ha

right now then i left plug out pulled few times turned both needles out 1 n 1/5, and it spluttred again first time since yestday but went back to doin nothing. so its almost there just needs tthe kick up the bum to go lol but my arm hurts now lol so gonna give a rest tommo shall i maybe rest it upside down with plug out and no fuel in the tank also where is the coil pack and can someone please explaine how these needles work what they do ect
thanks guys your all a great help.cos im getting there just slowly ha ha

ok, so lets start with the basics, couse i feel your pain over their..
-spark
-fuel
-air
-compression
too much or not enough of either and you will have problems. if you find yourself pulling 40 times...STOP.. NOTHING WILL HAPPEN ON PULL 41 THAT DIDNT HAPPEN ON PULL 20
basics: you have spark? yes. fuel? if its flooding then yes.. air? filter off and needle settings seem to be fine.. keep in mind that a stock motor will at least start at almost any carb setting. so find a stock or sugjested setting and leave it.. compression? who knows. but its not uncommon for a ring to be foulty and mostly happens when new.. if the mill is flooded pretty bad it wont start. even after pulling the plug and tipping upside down. evry time you pull the cord, more fuel comes in. that is amplified with the choke"ON".. so very little choke or no choke will help.
so the only thing in question is compression? now from what you said that it has kinda fired breifly at certain moments leads me to believe that the excess fuel has coused extra compression and coused a "pop".. so let it air out for about an hour with no plug or filter. prop a hair dryer in front of the carb to really help out. take a soda cap with 2 stroke oil. maybe one ounce at most. dump it down the spark port and roll it around so it gives a temperary compression seal. you may have to losen the plug couse it will be very tight..don't BUST THE PULL STARTER!!.. give it a couple pulles and see what happens.. if this is the problem it should "pop" on the 4th pull... if it starts, peg the throttle and keep it going.. you may have to do that a few times, but only if it sounds promising(pop-pop).. if the ring is out of seat or out of round you will never know
air leak, fuel lines, head gaskit, manifold- will still start
spark- obviuos, it it spark your good
too much fuel- will never start
not enough fuel- will kinda start normaly, but will quickly die every time
not enough compression- will never start
if its compression and you get it started.. there is a great chance that you wont ever have this problem again and will fire up every time after this with no problems. i spent 37 bench hours on a new mill that just wouldnt fire. was a slightly bad ring that re-seated itself once it got running
good luck and just stick to the basics.. and remember... its a brand new motor.. it will start!!

right now then i left plug out pulled few times turned both needles out 1 n 1/5, and it spluttred again first time since yestday but went back to doin nothing. so its almost there just needs tthe kick up the bum to go lol but my arm hurts now lol so gonna give a rest tommo shall i maybe rest it upside down with plug out and no fuel in the tank also where is the coil pack and can someone please explaine how these needles work what they do ect
thanks guys your all a great help.cos im getting there just slowly ha ha
the needles are simple. high and low. the low speed is like the valve on the garden hose to turn on the water. the high speed is like the spray nozzle at the end of the hose. water is altimatly limited by the main valve(low speed). just like the valve. screw it in and you get less air and fuel. out gives you more. stock settings for YOUR carb is this.. LOW SPEED-1 1/4 turn out from closed.. HIGH SPEED- 1 1/2 out from closed..
the low sped needle also controls the idle to a degree. (screwing out is higher idle. in is lower idle.) higher idle= more gas.. if you are simply flooding. then screw the low speed in maybe 1/4 of a turn
can you pull the head? you want to get all that excess oil out of the case and can pipe. spraying something in there like brake cleaner will also help dry it out.. PUT A HAIR DRYER ON IT!! and make sure the piston is all the way up. the case is an almost sealed unit with piston down. it wont dry with no air..

NewCamera.jpg
The needles Meter the fuel allowed into the motor, the farther they are turned out, the more fuel allowed to enter the motor.

The needle on the upper left is the High speed needle, on the upper right is the low end needle and the big silver Screw is not a needle, it is the idle adjustment screw.

First thing you need to do, is make sure the engine kill switch isn't pushed in. If it is springy and pops back out then continue to the next step...

I would say for your situation, turn in both H and L needles all the way in until they gently stop/seat. Remove your air filter. Look through the throat of the carb and make sure the butterfly (the brass circle) is slightly open. If it's closed turn the big silver idle adjustment screw in. Make sure the screw is hitting the silver arm on the side of the carb.
NewCamera242.jpg

Pull the plug and make sure it is dry. Pull the rope 3-4 times, if it starts great! If not, pull the plug and make sure it's dry. If it's wet spray the plug with brake parts cleaner. Blow on it to dry it and pull the motor over w/o the plug about 10 times. If you pull it over a few times and the plug is dry, but won't start. Drip about 4-5 drops of fuel through the plug hole, put the plug back in and pull it over 3-4 times. If it fires or pops you are getting close.

Pull the plug back out and check to see if it's wet. If it's wet, then the plug is shot or the coil isn't getting a good pickup from the flywheel.

If the plug is dry add a few more drops of fuel. **Note, you don't have to pull and pull and pull. If it's going to start, it will start in 4-5 pulls! If it doesn't then you need to find the problem.

If it sputters and starts to run for a second, turn out both H and L needles out 1 1/4 turns. Choke the carb and pull until it pops, then follow what I posted in a previous post.

If nothing happens, you are going to have to pull the motor to check if the flywheel has rust on it. Easy to do! 4 motor mount screws, rear brace screw, rollbar screws and the throttle linkage. Motor is out in about 10 mins.

I will be on here all day, so if you run into problems let me know!

Trip..

**Note said:
it will start in 4-5 pulls! If it doesn't then you need to find the problem[/COLOR].

I will be on here all day, so if you run into problems let me know!

Trip..
me too trip!! good stuff on here for sure.. take the "trip" advise on the pulls. after pull five.. just stop and re-think.. pulling it will drive you mad!!

And give you blisters, that is the main reason we all went to largescale to begin with!! :lol:

You know, for all the time it took me to type that, I could have jumped on a plane, flown to the UK and fixed it myself... I had to take like 25 pics to get a decent shot of what I was trying to show, but I guess I am learning how to use my camera! lol

Last edited:
cheers thank you soo much guys what ur telling me it does seem to sound better and better just need to keep at it thanks guys for your help once again

sorry to sound dumb guys but just wanna clear when you guys say about the high low needles you say 1 1/4 turns and 1 1/2 from closed i am thinkin that is 1 and a quarter rather than 1 quarter yes??

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks