engine troubles!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey guys i got got it running now seems to be goin well how long can you use these things at any one time with over heating ect? what would be the running issues if any?

I've never overheated any of my motors... Make sure the plug is brown or black and you will be fine. It's not like a nitro, temps aren't that big of a deal. The flywheel has cooling fins to keep it cool.

Congrats on getting it running... What was the problem?

hey no worrys nice one it was you lots help that got it runnin mainly the settings and letting the flood clear and break cleaner had a part to play i just noticted i was pulling and it wanted to go cleaned the plug and a mate was here so just kept pulling and pulling it was stumbling for ages but it wanted to go then it did it wouldnt rev on the hand set at first so i give it tiny bit of choke then reved on hand set giving it full beans a lot of black smoke and rubbish came out the pipe and the whole house filled with two stroke smoke but it running now starts within two pulls now every time just gotta lean how to fiddle with the screws to make it better now, and how will i keep the plug black more or less fuel more i guess i did take the plug out it looked a little grey after first bash my hummer top is in bits now had good few tumbles pretty surprised how much abuse a stock car can take campaired to my cen nitro that broke all the time. next upgrade is BREAKS for sure

hey joe when you store your car make sure you run it right out of gas as it can start to go punky in as little as a couple weeks.before winter i run mine right out of fuel then in spring just add gas and two pulls way i go .this also works with weed wackers.

back againhey guys yeah sorry not been on for a while ultra busy!

hey its happened twice now then wont start basically it runs for about fifthteen minutes and then just dies the engine seems to be gettin really hot personally i think its too hot, and cuttin out and not restarting till it really cools down i pulled the plug to find a grey silverey matalic looking plug how do i make it brown or black i will post a pic when i can get a clear day light pic i belive they colour of the plug is telling me it runnin lean my settings are low 1 and 1/4 high is 1 and a 1/2 any suggestions why its gutting out when hot???? thanks guys i need you lot to rescue me again!!

hey its happened twice now then wont start basically it runs for about fifthteen minutes and then just dies the engine seems to be gettin really hot personally i think its too hot, and cuttin out and not restarting till it really cools down i pulled the plug to find a grey silverey matalic looking plug how do i make it brown or black i will post a pic when i can get a clear day light pic i belive they colour of the plug is telling me it runnin lean my settings are low 1 and 1/4 high is 1 and a 1/2 any suggestions why its gutting out when hot???? thanks guys i need you lot to rescue me again!!

If the plug is gray and silver metallic looking....

Pull out the spark plug and look down through the plug hole with a flashlight and make sure the piston is not damaged!!! The silver metallic may be the piston burning up and melting onto the spark plug.

When looking through the plug hole, you want to see a dark black smooth surface on the top of the piston. If it is silver and pitted, it may be burnt up!!!

If the piston is burnt, it's because the motor is running too lean.

If the spark plug is gray, white or silver metallic, it is because the motor is too lean.

The lean condition can be caused from a lean carburetor mixture/needle settings, or from an air leak (bad gaskets).

I will make a video tomorrow of a lean condition (motor running too lean) I have to do this, because you are the third person that is having tuning problems, in the past 2 weeks.

Recording a video is difficult, because my camera does NOT record sound properly... I will do what I can to show the difference between a rich "Bog" and a lean "Starve"

I feel bad because I should have made a video a long time ago. It is hard to tell if the motor is running too lean or too rich, until you get the "Ear" for tuning.

The last video I made, well quite frankly, sucked! It didn't explain half of what I was TRYING to show... The next vid will show everybody what they need to know, or how to tune any gas motor!

But simply stated, run the motor as RICH as you can to keep it running. If it's too rich, the motor will pop and spit, it will sound kind of slow and boggy, it will make a spitting sound...

If the motor is running lean it will seem flat and dull, kind of like a Naaaa Naaaa sound... Simply speaking, it won't perform like it should. poop, I wish I could explain what I am thinking into words...

Basically, if it's slow... It's too lean! If it doesn't run correctly... It's too lean... If it has a tuned pipe and doesn't wheelie... It's too lean...

I will do my best to help you (and everyone) with my next video...

thanks trip!!

hey it never but out for ages if anything it was maybe idleing a bit high! its only when it got ultra hot. skin peeling hot ha ha how do i make it more rich would i try turning the low needle up from 1 and a 1/4 to maybe then down a bit aas needed. thanks for ur help trip oh and piston looks smooth and grey maybe im just colour blind LOL

good straight trouble shooting info Trip. nice write up. hopefully it helps.

one more thing, considering its sat for a while, the old gas may of varnished up the carb. if you haven't replaced the gas, it could just need new fresh fuel.

it was fresh gas i shock it before use too and it starts again once cool but when in use when hot cuts out again deff to lean i think to much air getting in not enuff fuel to keep engine ideal temp think new plug time again i think where i been using it at same needle settings it was maybe too hot for the plug so packed up

you may have an air leak going on somewhere.

check the carb and cylinder is tight. check the fuel lines (intake specifically) from the carb to the clunk for pin holes or cracks maybe. and yea i would say your a bit lean maybe on the low end or both low and high.

Spray around the head and intake gaskets with brake cleaner (with the motor running) See if the Rpm's change. If the revs change, you have an air leak. Also, remove the air filter and make sure the carb retaining screws are tight. I had mine come loose last year and my truck was running like yours.

Hope this helps.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks