Extending range

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What radio? Do you think you’re having problems? Range problem aren’t anything any one normally has problems with.
I have now updated to a FlySky 3channel with receiver as I originally got a 2channel transmitter with the car. Not sure if it was the antenna, receiver or transmitter, but the range now is significantly improved.

Hi there,

I would like to know if can make use of any antenna to extend the range of my transmitter or must I stick with the transmitter type or power? My transmitter only had a small stubby About 1 inch long. My receiver has standard line which I put in a plastic sleeve. It's about 4 inches long

High power 2.4ghz at long ranges should never be used with your hands. Standard TX power in surface remotes is between 40 - 100mw. I would not use anything more powerful at point blank range. Biological stress is grossely overlooked due to the anti-scientific assumption that the only danger from RF is it's ionization potential or thermal effects. Thats not how all of physics works.

First you should inspect your antenna connectors. Make sure everything is snug and any connectors are firmly secured.
If you need true extended range, it is best to install a directional antenna or use an external transmitter. Many big brand surface remotes make this difficult as they have removed the most basic and sacred jack(Trainer/PPM port). So you should seek off-brand remotes that have a trainer jack which will output a PPM signal. Then you can take this signal and connect it to a separate transmitter module that has PPM input and the range capabilities you require. If this transmitter is over 100mw, I highly suggest you use an extension cable at least 1 meter long to distance it from your body and to not operate the transmitter in any high radio reflective environment(IE metal enclosure).

For example what I do for RC cars/trucks is connect my remote's PPM/trainer jack to a UHF band long range transmitter. It has a range of roughly 10 miles line of sight at less than 1 watt. And much further depending on antenna selection. You of course also need to use a matching UHF receiver. Or even if it is not UHF, you still have other 2.4ghz TX and RX hardware that can easily reach 3 - 5 miles. It's up to you. The RC hobby is 100 years old at least. Just check things out about how radio transmission works.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks