Extra 5.5cc for $50...? Is it worth it? 30.5cc or 36cc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Rep732 and @gavsta72 Being a 'newb' to 1:5 gas I certainly appreciate all comments and help in pointing me in the right direction. I know all too well about the 'hit or miss' factors. During the great covid crisis I played around with motorized bicycle engine kits, typically made in China. General quality was the biggest beef. Substitution of poor quality materials (crappy alloys, cheap bearings) combined with poor execution (crappy tolerances) and poor quality control (one of my kits had a hole in the porous casting of the fuel bowl right from the factory which gave the bowl a slow steady drip). I had many other quality adventures with these engines. I disassembled/stripped my 2nd engine before ever starting it 'just to see' and found one of the bearings was installed/pressed in crookedly/off-kilter. In another I found some metal shavings in the crankcase from the manufacturing/machining and about half the exhaust port was covered with flash from the casting process. Anyways, the end result is 1 engine lasted mere miles and 2 others were better but not great. Like the song says 2/3 ain't bad but actually it is! I'm sure the story will be the same with these Chinese 1:5 cars as well. Sorry, off on a tangent.....

Which brings me to @Bandit2013. I didn't realize about the gasket thing with Rovan engines. Definitely don't like that! The price difference between the Rovan 305A and the KM KSRC-002 30.5 in RTR forms is only about $150 and if the KM engine is a bit better executed and you do get a few more aluminum bits with the KM like the hub carriers, frame plate, shock rower bits, which are nice touches assuming the alloy bits are made from a decent alloy of course. To be honest I'm also partial to the stock KM block tires to the Rovan's spiky. Rovan's spikes will likely wear out in no time if run on broken asphalt/gravel surfaces which is where I'll be mostly running. BUT the big problem is that I may have no choice on Rovan or KM since KM website seems to be out of stock on their bajas. :(

As for my original query of 30.5 v 36 it definitely seems from the discussion that the 30.5 is a better choice. Until it dies or until I invest in a higher quality name brand engine the 30.5 in general seems to be a bit more proven and cheaper for parts without much of a performance difference from those extra cc's.

It's not like buying a Toyota or a ferrari, it's like buying a junky ass fiat that will leave you stranded and break all the time vs like a lexus where it's slightly more expensive but won't leave you stranded and is built far better.

All I can say is the King Motor Fuelie 30.5cc engine is better than the Rovan 36cc engine. Not sure on the Rovan 30.5cc engine. Not the same as King Motor 30.5cc. As for the Rovan 36cc, it will run, but it will not be a wild run, more subdued or sluggish. Any of the Zenoah engines would be a better option. You could always decide to get a roller, add engine of your choice, will need radio, throttle servo and exhaust pipe. If it comes with a steering servo, Rovan or King Motor, they are on the slow response side, AGFRC 280BHMW is what I am using in my Bajas for steering. AGFRC A86BHM for throttle/brake servo. Works well with the NiMH battery. FlySky Noble Radio. Actually, the radios that come with the RTR Rovan /KM Bajas are not all that bad, FlySky FS-GT3B.

Thanks everyone. This was not only informative but also slightly amusing. I'm sure there will be many more dead horses to beat on this subject. While it's old hat for many of you, for the newbie such as moi it is pretty informative.

Thanks everyone. This was not only informative but also slightly amusing. I'm sure there will be many more dead horses to beat on this subject. While it's old hat for many of you, for the newbie such as moi it is pretty informative.
I just wanted to use that gif again... it's been a while lol.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks