Failsafe needed on a 5thscale

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
very important! last summer i had a kill switch on the way but didn't want to wait so i took my baja out for some full throttle runs. just charged the batteries and away i went. 5 min in ,full throttle away she went. no steering no brakes luckly into some bushes. bent the front chassis up but no other damage. if there were a group of kids there or it was on the street the baja could have been wrecked or worse someone could have been seriously hurt. thank god i was running it were there was nobody around. i had no idea my battery was about to crap out. from then on my 1/5 scales don't even get started unless i have a fail safe hooked up. you can get the killer be for around $65 i believe or you can get a modified pico like i have for about $40. it'll shut your motor off remotely or if you lose signal or if the battery gets too low. for a small price you can save yourself alot in the long run.

very important! last summer i had a kill switch on the way but didn't want to wait so i took my baja out for some full throttle runs. just charged the batteries and away i went. 5 min in ,full throttle away she went. no steering no brakes luckly into some bushes. bent the front chassis up but no other damage. if there were a group of kids there or it was on the street the baja could have been wrecked or worse someone could have been seriously hurt. thank god i was running it were there was nobody around. i had no idea my battery was about to crap out. from then on my 1/5 scales don't even get started unless i have a fail safe hooked up. you can get the killer be for around $65 i believe or you can get a modified pico like i have for about $40. it'll shut your motor off remotely or if you lose signal or if the battery gets too low. for a small price you can save yourself alot in the long run.

tragic story im getting a killer be kill switch.

will that work on my hpi radio its 3 channel i was thinking off getting a killer be one.

you would have to look on the kille bee website, he has a list with all the radio there and it tells you which remote-kill to buy then..I think you need version #1. but do not quote me on that..

http://www.killerrc.com/store/store.php

compatbility_charts-4j.jpg

Last edited:
I might be wrong but bashers/freestylers do use them & kill switches but most racers don't use either.

Mike
You are wrong. Fifth scalers racing at Luddenham in Sydney, Australia are not allowed to compete unless they have a killswitch fitted

I would go so far as to suggest it should be illegal to run one without a working killswitch!

You are wrong. Fifth scalers racing at Luddenham in Sydney, Australia are not allowed to compete unless they have a killswitch fitted

I would go so far as to suggest it should be illegal to run one without a working killswitch!

Ohh ive made my mind up im getting a kill switch i think it would be stupid not to have one as such expensive peace off kit, in the wrong hands he could be dangerous and hurt someone but i never used to run one on my nitros but then again thats a diffrent scale :(

I'm not talking about the kill switch on the engine, everyone has that - I meant a remote kill switch. At the 1/5th worlds in OZ 2008 there was never any mention of a remote kill switch so long as the one on the engine worked.

You want to have a Remote Kill on any 1/5th scale car it's extremely important as if it were to take off and hit someone or property you are going to be facing a lawsuit. For what they cost it's a good insurance policy.
Killer Rc all the way on this best product best price best service!!!!

My Baja weighs 3 times what my 8th scale weighs, that means 3 times the carnage when it hits something. Your killer B will probablly cost less than the damage done to your RC car the first time you have a runaway. It's well worth the cost. I live in the city, and there are almost no places to run here except for city parks. I looked around and the only places I found that were large enough to run in, and far enough from houses that I wouldn't bother anyone's afternoon nap, were all at city lakes. Without my KillerB, I'd be worried about running there because there are always at least a few people around, and the lake is just 10 seconds away at WOT. With my killer B I know if anything happens my motor will quit running at once preventing an embarassing and potentially costly runaway. Just think of it as safty equipment, or insurance. You think your 5th scale was expencive? Just imagine the repair bill you'd get if it hit a nice luxury car. Then again, don't worry about it, your getting a Killer B.

a killswitch is a must. its already been said, a 30lb car flying out of controll could seriously hurt somebody along with costing you a lot of money in repairs, never mind that if you do hit somebody the resulting lawsuit. however most people think the killswitch is enough protection, but really its not. last year i watched as a killswitch shut a motor down due to a radio problem on an almost new fg f1. now this happened about 3/4 of the way down the back stretch, car was doing 40+mph. sure the motor shut down, but it didnt stop till it hit the curb at the end and flipped over into the grass. the killswitch picked up on the problem, killed the motor, but the problem is these cars carry a lot of inertia and without brakes they don't stop very quick. this is where a nitro failsafe comes into play, when the killswitch shuts the motor down it'll throw the brakes on (providing there is still power in the car).

a lot of the new radios have failsafes built in and they should be set up, however for those that don't, a nitro failsafe is a good idea.

the one i got was from 5thscalecanada. it's the same as the killer be but you can't turn lights on or off with but you can remotely shut it down. it works on the 3rd channel.

I'm not talking about the kill switch on the engine, everyone has that - I meant a remote kill switch. At the 1/5th worlds in OZ 2008 there was never any mention of a remote kill switch so long as the one on the engine worked.

LOL who said im talking about the killswitch on the engine every 5thscale has that im talking about the remote killswitch.

the one i got was from 5thscalecanada. it's the same as the killer be but you can't turn lights on or off with but you can remotely shut it down. it works on the 3rd channel.

Ive gone an ordered a killer be should work on my radio as its 3 channel :)

i was going to order one but i don't have a bling bling baja.lol i don't run lights and such so i just got the cheaper one. when i'm done rebuilding my rc pocket quad creation i'm going to order one cause i'll have lights and things on it.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks